What's new
What's new

Moving Bridgeport J Head with Cat 236 Skid steer

bedehaan

Plastic
All, need to move my Bridgeport J Head Milling Machine about 100 yards from a garage at my place to the shop. Local rental company only has a Cat 236 skid steer available. Looks like the lift capacity is 1750lb with tipping load of 3000lbs. Seems a bit under sized for the job, but don't have to go far either.

My question, has anyone moved theirs with a Cat 236 or a similar sized skid steer? Don't want to rent and find out the machine is too small.

We moved ours with a bobcat 824.

It could only lift about 1 inch be for back wheels lift.

Tied a bunch of steel plate to back and lifted it fine.

We used a forklift attachment and a pallet...never again as major tipping risk...we were very careful and joyous when landed.

Better to use forks under ram but higher lift point is a longer moment meaning load is farther out so more leverage against tipping forward.

Better to rent forklift if possible.

If skid steer is all that is available be certain vendor can certify what weight the machine can carry with a forklift attachment positioned such that it is at the ram so it is hanging instead of standing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Not to answer my own question but I went ahead and rented it. Went well.

Plenty of power and not too tippy. Loaded under ram close to the back of the forks. Backed out of shop 1/driveway 1 to shop 2/driveway 2. Back tires came up slightly as I approached the center of the road between the driveway (slight incline/crown), but no issues at all in flat and transporting. Felt like a solid setup and good balance and power on the machine

I personally hate using skid steers. I move a lot of stuff by myself and it is to hard to get out and have a peek on the progress.

All, need to move my Bridgeport J Head Milling Machine about 100 yards from a garage at my place to the shop. Local rental company only has a Cat 236 skid steer available. Looks like the lift capacity is 1750lb with tipping load of 3000lbs. Seems a bit under sized for the job, but don't have to go far either.

My question, has anyone moved theirs with a Cat 236 or a similar sized skid steer? Don't want to rent and find out the machine is too small.

Sorry, but if that is ALL they have? No PROPER Forklift? I'd either skid it and drag it, or rent a trailer instead. Depends on terrain. Yes. Seems dumb for the distance.

But you can roll, skate, ramp, winch/come-along wotever .. both on and off with a slower and more careful pace, more control over risk, and a lesser rental cost. Skid-steers don't have all that much "finesse". Nature of the beast.

2CW

Agree on all the forklift comments, but No forklift available local unfortunately. Have to drive at least an hour to rent... then I’m in scenario have to rent for at least a day and paying for lot of travel time on trailer

U talking damange waiver? Not at this local ace rental. There was at the forklift rental place

When I used to work at Midwestern Machinery in Minneapolis Minnesota I would end up buying machines or delivering machines to people who did not have a forklift. I would generally call a local lumber yard and they always had a soft tired forklift we could rent with their driver to pick a machine. Once we sold a 54" Bullard to a foundry out in western MN and we could have hired local riggers to go out there at a premium price. What I did was call around asking companies if they knew where a BIG forklift was we could use.

After about 1/2 day of phone calls I found one at a sand and gravel quarry about 5 miles away. They had their driver drive it over and out rigger went with our truck and did the rigging. I also have a small Bobcat and would never use it to lift a Bridgeport. I have a farm implement dealer about 1/2 mile away who rents their forklift to me for $50.00 per hour. I do the driving. Congrats on the success ....where in MN are you?

Good info! Thank you. Will keep it in mind if I ever have to move again (hopefully I don’t :)

Live in the Northwest corner. About an hour from Canada and 1 hour east of North Dakota border.

When I used to work at Midwestern Machinery in Minneapolis Minnesota I would end up buying machines or delivering machines to people who did not have a forklift. I would generally call a local lumber yard and they always had a soft tired forklift we could rent with their driver to pick a machine. Once we sold a 54" Bullard to a foundry out in western MN and we could have hired local riggers to go out there at a premium price. What I did was call around asking companies if they knew where a BIG forklift was we could use.

After about 1/2 day of phone calls I found one at a sand and gravel quarry about 5 miles away. They had their driver drive it over and out rigger went with our truck and did the rigging. I also have a small Bobcat and would never use it to lift a Bridgeport. I have a farm implement dealer about 1/2 mile away who rents their forklift to me for $50.00 per hour. I do the driving. Congrats on the success ....where in MN are you?

Stuff like that is getting harder and harder to do. Borrowing a sawmill forklift or the like sounds like a good idea, until something happens. That guy from the sawmill drops your $10,000 machine, you could very well be out of luck, even worse if somebody gets hurt. These outfits don't have insurance to handle this sort of thing. In today's society, that is a accident waiting to happen.

I'm sorry, but if I'm buying a machine turn-key, and you hire some redneck from the lumber yard (who just barely can unload a bundle of lumber without tearing it up) to unload and set my machine, I'm going to pass.

For what all the bits and pieces cost to hire,you can get a truck with a Palfinger crane...the whole job is finished in 20 minutes more than on road time.I served my time moving heavy machines with pinch bars, rollers,skids, and beams,....never again.

Stuff like that is getting harder and harder to do. Borrowing a sawmill forklift or the like sounds like a good idea, until something happens. That guy from the sawmill drops your $10,000 machine, you could very well be out of luck, even worse if somebody gets hurt. These outfits don't have insurance to handle this sort of thing. In today's society, that is a accident waiting to happen.

I'm sorry, but if I'm buying a machine turn-key, and you hire some redneck from the lumber yard (who just barely can unload a bundle of lumber without tearing it up) to unload and set my machine, I'm going to pass.

Can't argue the toss on "lumberyard" staff.

But at the same time, this is a small and light load, just awkward. And not REALLY terribly so. The usual practice of turning the head to a more favourable position, rig with just two heavy fabric slings, and call-out an ordinary-sized boom auto-wrecker to lift it from above.

Generally cheaper than a Palfinger rig, or so I'd guess, if only because most any place where there are autos and trucks, there are recovery vehicles according. They'll not ordinarily be all that far away. Many are glad of the odd bit of easy work rather than a pile of wreckage on a busy high-speed motorway- especially if there is a bit of flex as to timing.

Live in the Northwest corner. About an hour from Canada and 1 hour east of North Dakota border.

For what all the bits and pieces cost to hire,you can get a truck with a Palfinger crane...the whole job is finished in 20 minutes more than on road time.I served my time moving heavy machines with pinch bars, rollers,skids, and beams,....never again.

Might want to Google-foo the OP's location.....

I'll have to agree.

In todays world of certifications, insurances and liability, a company would be insane to just rent out or loan anything of theirs to a complete stranger.

At work I'm not allowed to drive the forklift cause I havent taken a forklift certification course.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Sounds like a blessing in disguise, you get out of the "Hey, come unload this for me" jobs.

Well I'm an engineering intern at this shop, so I get bounced around and get a lot of those sorts of jobs.

But on the other hand I get to see a bunch of different stuff. Today was peening turbine blades, then helping boring a case with a huge Climax line boring rig.

I think we had a thread like this.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/cnc-machining/how-not-move-machine-154227/

Back