What's new
What's new

Moving a Lodge & Shipley Powerturn Lathe

AndyF

Stainless
When you're picking up a Powerturn Lathe, do you generally use slings through the webbing on the bed, or are there other points that are designated as pick points? If it matters, it is a 20" machine with 54" between centers.

I'd say that is right...................Unless you have straps long enough to go all the way to the floor, near the feet, on the headstock end. Mine, same size, was loaded with a forklift under the bed ways.

I went through the center of bed with a sling, it went around a 4x6 or similar size block of wood. Monarch 16x54, balance point was just about where the chuck is with carriage & tailstock at the far end. That keep keeps it from sliding off forks or straps wrapped around the bed from bending anything. Very little chance of it tipping over this way.

You can use a sling through the bed, but it will want to turn over as you are lifting below the center of gravity. You can put a bar in the spindle and make sure one part of an endless loop sling is on each side of the bar to help keep it upright. ISTR the manual shows a lift point next to the chuck, and another from a bar out the back of the spindle for balance.

The 1610 Powermatic, with Copymatic tracer I had was top heavy with the added weight of the tracer template bar, massive as would be expected, had to be careful like gbent mentioned above.
I am better at running them, then moving them, its always good when they are back on the ground.

When we move our big L&S's with a crane, we put the sling all the way under the whole gearbox.

By puting your first sling in front of the headstock, you are, or are at least close to the tipping point in many cases.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back