Moving machines around the shop -- am I doing it wrong? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No one mentioned keeping safety blocks under the machine just in case a skate decides to do something stupid. It takes a little longer to get where you are going but scooting safety blocks along as you go is cheap insurance, plus, if a skate hangs up, its pretty easy to get it repositioned. Just thought I would mention it even though it might be an obvious thing to do.
    If you watch and learn from the guys who do rigging for a living, they seldom take chances and always have their safeties in place.

2. Likes 4GSR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Inner tube is a bit thin, quarry conveyor belts what you want, works great between pry bar and floor too for zero mark pushing, secret in prying stuff around, lots of small bites, not massive multi inch moves.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh ... one little nay-say. There have been suggestions to wait until you can get some friends over. Unless they are experienced at moving heavy stuff, that's a definite "no" for me. One of my collection of scars is from a nice lady who decided to "help" while I was moving an Ex-Cell-O. What she managed to do was wack a steel bar into my head. Doing it by yourself is safer.

Although having someone nearby to hear you scream if you do something dumb and put your hand under the machine and it drops kaboom, cutting off your fingers, that's probably smart.

Rule Number One : don't do dumb stuff.

Does anyone else have a grisly imagination ? When I see a train go by I always think, "What would happen if I tried to run between the cars ?" or standing at the edge of a cliff ... is that self-defense ? Seeing the result in your mind keeps you from doing retarded things ?

5. Likes Dan from Oakland liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by benkokes View Post
    m16ty: What type of skates do you have? have you ever tried rollers across asphalt?
    Here is what we use almost exclusively- Hevi-Haul - Heavy Duty Skates/Dollies Material Handling | USA Made

I don’t know of anything that works well over asphalt with very much weight. We almost always plate when skating over asphalt. You can sometimes get away with neoprene rollers on asphalt, with lighter loads.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Oh ... one little nay-say. There have been suggestions to wait until you can get some friends over. Unless they are experienced at moving heavy stuff, that's a definite "no" for me. One of my collection of scars is from a nice lady who decided to "help" while I was moving an Ex-Cell-O. What she managed to do was wack a steel bar into my head. Doing it by yourself is safer.

Although having someone nearby to hear you scream if you do something dumb and put your hand under the machine and it drops kaboom, cutting off your fingers, that's probably smart.

Rule Number One : don't do dumb stuff.

Does anyone else have a grisly imagination ? When I see a train go by I always think, "What would happen if I tried to run between the cars ?" or standing at the edge of a cliff ... is that self-defense ? Seeing the result in your mind keeps you from doing retarded things ?
    Bad help can be dangerous. I asked a guy to shut off my oxy/ propane tanks. Clockwise is off. Problem is he cranked both regulators in all the way. Not the valves. Ruined the diaphragm in both regulators. It could have been worse
    On the wondering what happens if. The old man back handed me if I said ,what if, so when I got old enough to leave I what if,ed all I wanted. Still do. And it is better than not thinking what happens IF.
    I always answered my kids,what if.
    Even if you tell them that it cant happen. They are learning

On the skating machinery on asfault. Pavement hollows out underneath and gets soft when warm. I like 4x4's bolted to the bottom and slide.

Besides I dont own skates

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by benkokes View Post
    Garwood: Very interesting. The chain rollers I have are actually Daytons, 8000lb capacity. It sounds that there may be some sort of rule of thumb with rollers, maybe double capacity? For the skates you have, what are their capacity? I figured this is a contact area problem, the more roller area I get, the easier it is to move...
    I don't know what the skates I have are rated for. Mine are very old. They are Hilmans. At about 20 tons on them they start leaving tracks in the concrete. So somewhere around that is probably the limit.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    I don't know what the skates I have are rated for. Mine are very old. They are Hilmans. At about 20 tons on them they start leaving tracks in the concrete. So somewhere around that is probably the limit.
    That's another reason I'm not a big fan of caterpillar type skates. You get a heavy load on them, they will start eating the concrete. It doesn't necessarily mean they are overloaded, it is just due to their design.
    Even the standard steel roller skates will eat up the concrete, but they will hold much more weight before they do.

On the Hevi-Haul skates I linked to above, they are pretty expensive. With a few machine tools though, it wouldn't take much to build a set, if you had more time than money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by m16ty View Post
    That's another reason I'm not a big fan of caterpillar type skates. You get a heavy load on them, they will start eating the concrete. It doesn't necessarily mean they are overloaded, it is just due to their design.
    Even the standard steel roller skates will eat up the concrete, but they will hold much more weight before they do.

On the Hevi-Haul skates I linked to above, they are pretty expensive. With a few machine tools though, it wouldn't take much to build a set, if you had more time than money.
    If I were buying new I would probably go for those with steel rollers (used a set with poly rollers and the rollers were coming apart at 5 years old). I bought my Hilmans for a reasonable price ($300/set with handles) and I'm able to move all of my machines with them including a few at and over 20 tons. I got past perfect concrete along time ago and I'm okay with the occasional skate dig in my floor given what I do.

I would say the larger sized track roller skates are great for machines 20k and under.

Awhile ago I bought a set of small track roller skates like the OP's and I swear they were Hevi-Haul brand. They were terrible and I sold them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Seeing all the responses, it seems that my skates must just be too small. FOr about $120, eBay has a 12 ton roller similar to Strongways 12 ton rollers. YouTube

Is it the thinking that wheeled rollers are better than the chain-link rollers?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I prefer my Hevi-haul roller style to my Hillmans. The big problem with the chain link style is that they will not track in a straight line. As soon as they toe out or toe in, they start to tip sideways. When that happens, at a minimum they will dig into the concrete, at worst they will flip right over and the machine will crash down to the floor. That can be very dangerous with a narrow machine. It can tip right over.

My roller style are much wider and much less likely to tip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by m16ty View Post
    I once had a customer for a large Hurco VMC and somehow the subject of machinery skates came up. I proceeded to promote the charms of GKS Perfekt skates and trash Hillman skates.

Turns out I was talking to the President of Hillman

Lucky for me, he was a good sport about it, mentioned some improvements they planned to make and bought the Hurco regardless...

14. Likes dkmc, sfriedberg liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just moved a 7k lb CNC router last week. Borrowed four Northern Tool cheapo machine skates with swivel tops. Started with using 4 of them, but one would always pop out.

The floor in the building was dead level and power troweled smooth. I swept the floor immediately before skating. I'm fairly strong and 215 lbs and with a bunch of bouncing against the machine, I could get it moving on my own. With just pushing and not bouncing, there is no way I could have gotten it moving alone. It would quickly come to a stop on its own.

10k lb Mazak lathe on smooth but some cracks in it floor ... we had to use a 3k rated battery powered forklift to push the machine. 4 guys couldn't do it.

Just a few data points.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know how sketchy you like things to be but I unloaded a 5500 pound timesaver from a flatbed truck using two bars on a vehicle lift, then put the pallet jack in on one side and lifted a bit with the forklift on the other and moved it to its corner.