What's new
What's new

Moving mill in shop up a ramp?

sam_stlouis

Cast Iron
I’m moving into a small shop space. My old space was flat concrete. And I rolled everything in and out on pallet jack. Bridgeport, hardinge lathe, Moore #1 jig borer, and a tree journeyman vertical cnc mill(3400 lbs) similar build to a Bridgeport series 2. Really pretty easy.

This new space the concrete goes uphill like a ramp into the garage door, not sure of the slope but it’s a chore rolling the stuff on wheels. Maybe 16” rise over 8 feet just a guess. Same machines what angle is a concern. I’ve got a few heavier things in there I can anchor a come along to to help pull the pallet jack. Don’t want something tipping over. I’m always extra carefull don’t want to risk anything

An 8ft long skid of reasonable width, some pipe and winch/come along sounds doable if youve no access to any heavier kit.

if you don't have one, rent a forklift for the day. With that list of stuff the time savings would justify it.....let alone the ramp risk.

Make sure the anchor is sound. Putting side loads on things not meant for them can surprise them....as I learned as a teenager winching cars up very long ramps I made into my shop (also build by yours truly on the foundation of an ancient chicken coop), shop floor was 3 feet above grade at that end. Worked like a charm until one day the post I'd set in concrete to anchor the come along to pulled out. Fortunately no injuries or damage...my earliest shade tree engineering lesson in moments and forces

It has been done...but it can be train wreck, I 2nd renting a fork, you add the top heavy of a mill and now put a tilt on it and pull on the base to slide it up a ramp...Gravity will win sometimes...Phil

Back