Moving parking violator car with forklift - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

dealing with this currently as the new and completely ineffectual landlord cant be bothered to regulate parking in common areas. to make matters worse he is illegally renting the common areas on the weekends as 'event space' as were on the water with sweeping views of the bridges.
    since september we have been either blocked into, or out of, our gates. both front and back, no less than 8 times. and i mean completely stuck into or blocked out of my entire shop. my wife, employees, steel trucks, friends..everyone. no way in, no way out. i voiced my concerns multiple times and nothing happened.

got tired of holding onto resentment over it and didn't want to jeopardize my mental health (and my lease) so looked into zoning laws, required parking spaces per unit, legality of me putting up my own signs, towing people, etc.

didn't feel like it was my responsibility to pay for signage, as it most certainly isn't. but it's either that or fume and ruminate over it.

so i made some simple illustrator files and got a dozen 18" x 24" coro-plast signs made up by a sign maker friend. 6 for us and 6 for the neighbor behind us.

got a 500' roll of caution tape, a dozen little yellow buckets, a can of yellow spray paint and some cheap 1"x2" from homer despot and we have moveable parking signs.

now we put them up when we see the cars start rolling in.
    sure, i could be a dick and demand that we have all 16 required parking spaces marked out and available at all times but we don't use that many so what's the point.
    i could also be a dick and start fucking with peoples cars but the people driving cant be blamed when they aren't given any direction in where to park.
    remember, the general public really isn't that smart.

whether you believe in karma, laws of attraction or any of that shit is besides the point..just doing things out of spite is going to manifest negative thoughts in your mind which will lead to negative emotions which will lead to all kinds of resentment and anger. no thanks.

just take the most logical and shortest trip from problem to solution. you're smart, you know what that is.

2. Likes AndyF, kb0thn, Newman109, neilho liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cvairwerks View Post
    A couple of Go-Jacks and spin the car 90 degrees to the lane of traffic. Wait a while and then call the cops....
    ...roll it out to the street in front of a fire hydrant...

4. Likes MattRiddle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The late John Stevenson had this problem once. Someone in the road was doing up old cars, and parked them randomly sometimes across the access to his workshop and yard.

After leaving notes had no effect, he picked up one of the offending vehicles with his fork lift, and put it on the roof of another car.

He never did have trouble after that !

6. Likes JohnEvans, pressbrake1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On construction sites not everyone parks intelligently.
    There once was a "NO PARKING" sign on a 6" post stuck into a 3 foot cube of concrete.

Then the sign was placed somewhere that made things interesting for the offending car. My personal favorite was next to the driver door.

Repeat offenders were few.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At my old warehouse building, there was an overhead door that accessed an indoor loading area used by several of the tenants. for a while there was a temporary renter storing a bunch of "stuff", these guys were total asses, doing things like borrowing my fork lift without permission then denying it when confronted, leaving large piles of trash all over the place, bullying people when we complained etc. They would drive into the loading area with 2 or 3 black escalades like Tony Soprano and block everyone's access. once they filled another tenants 30 yard dumpster with their crap. that tenant complained to me thinking it was my stuff, I then helped that tenant to empty the dumpster,then crush the crap and dump it back into the ass's space.
    Everyone made it very clear to these guys that they could not park in the loading area or block the door and that access was needed 24-7. one afternoon one of them left an escalade totally blocking the overhead door. another tenant needed to get his truck in to unload and had had it with these guys! he brought his 10K hyster around from the other side of the building, lifted up the escalade and placed it between two 40 ft containers, then moved the containers within 2 inches of each end. neat as pie. He then left for the day. we learned that the asses had to hire a tow truck to pull the container away. Noting more was heard about the incident!

9. Likes kb0thn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What makes this "your' parking space? Is this on the public street or in a parking lot. Does the landlord assign parking spaces to tenants or is it park where you will. Is this like Berkeley California where the residents have to get permits to park in their neighborhood and only their neighborhood. They blocked off streets to reduce traffic in residential areas and when the courts told them to remove the illegal barriers they said they had no money.
    I understand the most efficient way to stripe a parking lot is to remove all lines, wait 1-2 weeks then stripe between where the cars have parked.
    Bill. D

Woodland Hills, Ca. and some times Hutchinson, Ks.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Has a car park in front of a hangar, tried to find out who owned it? Airport cops were real dick's, waited till they left, drug the car out to a taxi way. You may be wondering why, if I just moved it it would have blocked another hangar.

The comment about calling tow yards to arraign towing and signage is the way it works generally. The tow company puts up signs with the name and phone number to call. They tow the car at their expense, the owner gets a nice fat tow bill and storage charge.

Steve

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have high seniority so that close to the door spot should be mine, Wa,Wa Wa..Wheres my gun?...

The nerve of that old lady with one leg parking in my spot....

Just kidding but some likely think that way...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I only took action on an a-hole parking job once. Back in the late 70's I was in High School in So Cal and a couple friends and I piled in my big as a whale Plymouth Satellite and parked legally parallel on a curb across from a restaurant and walked to the beach. Came back and found a shiny new Porsche parked against my back bumper actually touching to avoid it's rear end from overlapping on a red curb because of a fire hydrant. I shoved it in reverse and pushed the Porsche backward right next to the fire hydrant. That area had parking enforcement constantly patrolling as free parking was scarce so we decided to go make a fast food run and circle the block. Sure enough after scoring a bag of fast food burritos we came back to find the Porsche hitched to a tow truck, with the meter maid and her 3 wheeled car standing by.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in SoCal View Post

The comment about calling tow yards to arraign towing and signage is the way it works generally. The tow company puts up signs with the name and phone number to call. They tow the car at their expense, the owner gets a nice fat tow bill and storage charge.

Steve
    All while humming Lincoln Park Pirates​ by Steve Goodman

Dennis

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks. Day 2 of the stand-off. He couldn’t miss my sign but parked there anyway. Setting himself up for some difficulty with his car I’m afraid. Talked to him when he returned and made sure he got the message about his car being moved soon. We’ll what happens tomorrow. Saw where he works which appears to have plenty of parking so I’m guessing he’s hiding it from repo man, ex-spouse, whatever.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 164262be-384f-42e3-b355-1c04df18f0d0.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just stick few blank UPS labels to the drivers side window with no parking written on it. Doesn't do any damage and the ride home with the window down in this cold will create a memory that lasts until they need to park the next day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Since you have a forklift, just set something behind it too heavy for him or the scrappers to move. Do this on a Friday afternoon. Some people won’t understand you were inconvenienced till they are inconvenienced.

18. Likes kb0thn, Steven-Canada, pressbrake1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had similar problem with cars blocking only outlet to alley . I would take a large crayon and write all over the windows , saying next time the would pay to remove there car from top of the dumpster .Had one fellow after removing the crayon try to waste as much of our time as it took to remove the crayon , he went as far as take of his shirt to fight after being called a cocky college kid , luckily for him his buddy talked him into leaving before 3 pissed of shop rat wasted him we did not pump iron like him we handle real steel and had had enough of his stupid ash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Whatever you do, keep it legal and have it towed, legally. An industrial neighbor has box trucks that get loaded out everything morning, and occasionally block my driveway. When I arrive, I just jump on the running boards of the offending truck, and give the driver a "hey brother, hate to bother you but I have to pull in". Never ever had a problem, you get back exactly what you give. Almost exactly 11 years ago, I heard someone hunting after dark, in a snowstorm, and remarked that it was odd to another guy on the crew. Turned out it was a guy we knew getting shot, slowly, meticulously, in his arms and legs over and over by a co-worker that had engaged in the "I'm a bigger sonofabitch" game. IE the dumb tit for tat shit mentioned by other posts. No, he didn't survive. It's something that I will never forget, and one of the main reasons I constantly defuse situations at all costs.

21. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The photo looks like a lot but is it marked and or in your lease as yours?

This is really simple and wha\ works here may work there and a visit to local law enforcement will give you the answer and highway patrol may be better than pd.

The space should be marked but signage is critical.

It must state that cars parked WILL BE TOWED AT OWNERS EXPENSE and it usually needs the contact number for the tow company and in some cases the pd as well.

If a fire lane is posted as such any vehicle parked is fair game to any tow truck and if an off street lot that is not public parking meaning your lease indicates X spaces for your lease and y spaces for visitors then be sure no employees park in a visitor space and post your sign as well as marking your space.

To be the nice guy make some flyers that you can print out.

The flyer should include the phone number for the tow company and the cost to recover their vehicle .

Also explain that effective some date the car will be towed and no warning.

Leave a copy on any car parked in your PROPERLY MARKED SPACES.

Again run all of this past local law enforcement as there may be certian stupid processes that need to be done so attention to detail matters.

Pick a well respected tow company as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

23. Likes JLarsson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just install one of these signs...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails capture.jpg  

25. Likes Cannonmn, Bobw, Meggab liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting thread as I just called a tow company to have the neighbors F150 pulled out of a parking space in our building's private lot. We have a spaces in a private lot and he is in the triple decker next door and has spent the past year parking on the street in front of our building. The lot is posted. It's snowing here and he apparently finds the paid for and plowed spot more convenient than the street. Went over 3 times to ring his door bell (not sure they work) and left a note on the door. He's got a couple hours as the towing company is hauling for the city at the moment.

He picked a bad parking spot as I happened to see him get out and the only men the owner of that spot allows to park drive Mercedes or BWM's...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well the local PD says they don’t get involved in matters on private property so one less player to worry about. So as to avoid pissing off the landlord I checked with his staff. They must handle all such matters, and fine with me. But it resolved itself. I heard noises outside and “caught” the culprit, re-emphasizing that he would be towed if car left there again. He didn’t respond and wouldn’t look at me directly, a bit odd. But next day he parked in another spot, not mine, and was still gone the next day so I think it is done. I’ll bother with the signs if someone else lands in my space.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just leave something parked there all the time, that you have the keys to.

A "Place holder" if you will.

29. Likes Cannonmn, pressbrake1 liked this post