What's new
What's new

Moving Small Devlieg Jigmill

Blazemaster

Hot Rolled
I took a look at a small devlieg jigmill a few months ago about 2.5 hours from me. Not sure if I will get the chance to own it but I have been doing some planning in case things happen to go in my favor. The model in question is a 2b-36, from what I can find the machine weighs around 13k. This is about the upper limit of what I feel comfortable towing with my truck, with trailer.

I didn't measure the floor space required but the machine didn't seem that big in person so I wasn't worried about shop space. Once I did a bit more research, it looks like this machine requires 9'Wx9'6"Lx6'9"H. How the heck would I haul this on a trailer? The machine looked like it could be split in two pieces, but when I asked the owner about that he said you don't want to get into that.

Looking for other jigmill owners that have moved their machines. What did you do?

You'll need to get a permit for an oversized load. If you are staying within one state, it might not be too bad. If you are crossing state lines, you will need a US DOT number and probably need to go through a permitting agency.

Typically permits for oversize loads are pretty reasonable up to 12' wide as long as you are not also overweight. It depends on the state, but the last time I did it I think I paid about $60.

You might be better off to hire it hauled. A rigging company will know the rules for your area.

Rigging costs would outweigh the cost of this machine, so it's either I do it myself or I don't get the machine. I have moved machines up to about 16k just have never needed an oversize permit. I would only be 3 inches over width on each side, I wonder If something can be removed to get me those 6 inches.

Rigging costs would outweigh the cost of this machine, so it's either I do it myself or I don't get the machine. I have moved machines up to about 16k just have never needed an oversize permit. I would only be 3 inches over width on each side, I wonder If something can be removed to get me those 6 inches.

I just measured my 2B-36 at about 104". I'm wondering if you are looking at the working dimensions rather than shipping.

I set it on the trailer at an angle and was well under width. No need to remove anything.

If you do any mill work at all, you want that machine. After you wrap your head around a horizontal spindle machine, you will think its the best thing since sliced bread. All the controls fall easily to hand. It just wants to make chips.

If you need to change voltage, buy a transformer. Changing voltages will be much more costly, if even possible.

Set the machine on your trailer silghtly at an angle. It will be within the 8'6" allowed.

There is a hole in the face of the column. It is probably covered with trim cap. It is for a support bar for the counterweight. A 1" to 1 1/2" bar about 24" long is needed. Move the head to align the hole in the counterweight with the hole in the column, insert support bar, and raise the head slightly so the bar takes the weight of the counterweight. Lock the head with the handle under the bar feed bull horns.

I just measured my machine. if you run the bar out about 6 inches so the motor doesn't protrude from the back, and run the platen in about 6 in so the cover doesn't protrude over the drive motor, the machine is about 97 in front to back. With the table centered so the way covers don't overhang, it is 8 ft wide including the coolant pump.

I just measured my machine. if you run the bar out about 6 inches so the motor doesn't protrude from the back, and run the platen in about 6 in so the cover doesn't protrude over the drive motor, the machine is about 97 in front to back. With the table centered so the way covers don't overhang, it is 8 ft wide including the coolant pump.

I agree, I didnt run the bar out when I measured my 104"

Well that's good to know, I have wanted one of these for years. I didn't get a chance to measure the machine when I looked at it, I was just going by the ads for other used machines with the same model #. They must just be listing the size needed to run the table out to each side. I kinda figured in the back of my head that it should fit on a trailer.

Thanks for the reminder on supporting the counterweight. I already have a decent amount of 40 taper tooling and some large fixture stuff that I have been collecting for such a machine.

Thanks for all the info.

Last edited:
1 1/2 bar may be a little big for the counterweight. 1 3/8 or smaller would be better. 24" would be about the minimum, 4' would be no problem.

I think the "floor space" sizes listed include the necessary overhangs when in use. The tool lock motor can protrude from the rear, the platen way cover from the front, and the table way covers on each end.

I weighted my machine, and ISTR it was closer to 14,000#.

Make sure you get the proper handle for the table and column if available. It has a spring load to retract it from the drive dogs. Rapid could cause serous hurt if the handle didn't disengage.

I weighted my machine, and ISTR it was closer to 14,000#.
Mine was 12,500 on the truck scales. Yes, not overwidth and don't even consider taking it apart. The column is aligned and squared to the table.

Do not pass up an opportunity to get and run one of these. And if they are available, pop for the devlieg angle plates. I don't care if they are expensive, they are square and accurate. You need them.

The rotary table is good, too :)

While you are looking for tooling, there's length bars for the measuring troughs and blocks to go in the T-slots that are also useful. All that stuff is machined accurately on a Devlieg.

Back