I am working on a job where we have 3 overhead cranes
(2) 14 ton
(1) 10 ton
would the ratings be usable together at the same time
seems like the system approx 60' x 120' would have to be able to handle
38 tons at any given point at the same time, but I am not sure
and thats why I am asking here.
Thanks

I work at a plant where they have 2 140 ton cranes. There one load just shy of 200. We pick with both cranes with no problems. A multiple crane lift should be well planned and rehearsed. If in doubt seek engineering advice on the craneway itself.

Two crane lifts are very common but as soon as you add a third lift it becomes complicated. Add to the fact that the third hoist is only 10 ton. I doubt that any engineer would approve anything more than a 30 ton lift and dividing it up between three hoists and three operators is asking for trouble.
I am guessing these are all hoists on inside bridge cranes??? Outside mobiles is asking for disaster.
Aside from the equipment the operators are a human factor. I have been in shops where some people will not even stand anywhere on the shop floor when a particular guy takes the buttons.
I once saw a guy run a gantry off its tracks and then proceed to hook up the trolley and try to lift it with the hoist on the gantry thinking it would lift itself up and onto the tracks. The guy who was from a province in the East was run off the property.
If you are serious about such a lift it is time to hire an engineer.

Mm, this want's careful planning. I'd say 14 + 14 + 10 does not equal 38 in this instance. Are all the cranes individually controlled or can they be ganged together ? Do the cranes have load sensors or cranes scales ?
Without some means of knowing what each crane is lifting you could easily find yourself overloading individual cranes.

Regards Tyrone.

You did not say if you want to use multiple cranes for a single lift or 3 lifts at the same time. The engineers being called is the right decision whatever it is you are doing. :)

Back