My gantry crane build - Page 7
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 155
  1. #121
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    2,073
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    9
    Likes (Received)
    626

    Default

    No need for die grinders,drive a hard tapered drift into the holes until they enlarge enough to line up.You really need a dozen of these drifts in your boilermakers kit,very useful items.If not to hand ,make them from old car axles,which are already tapered ,just need to be hardened.......When you cut up old rivetted plates,you see how far out many of the holes were,all hidden when the rivets were closed.

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    85
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    No need for die grinders,drive a hard tapered drift into the holes until they enlarge enough to line up.You really need a dozen of these drifts in your boilermakers kit,very useful items.If not to hand ,make them from old car axles,which are already tapered ,just need to be hardened.......When you cut up old rivetted plates,you see how far out many of the holes were,all hidden when the rivets were closed.
    Great feedback John, thanks. I like the idea of using a drift instead. However I don't have any of those in my toolbox, so I'll have to go with a die grinder. Hopefully I'll get to it tomorrow, we'll see.

    So I am looking at trolleys and hoists. I'd like to see if any of you have an opinion on those two components. I'd like to get ones that can support 2 tons, even though I don't ever really plan on lifting that much. Overkill at work again dontchaknow. I am also debating between a push trolley versus a geared one. I've pretty much ruled out an electric hoist due to the headroom requirement and weight ratings that I was seeing.

    I found that Vestil has some "low profile" options, both geared and push. They also offer a combination trolley and hoist for "maximum headroom savings." However that almost seems like a too-good-to-be-true-so-it-isn't scenario. I could see where such a design could be lacking, either in the weight rating or durability attributes. I noticed that the combination variants only went up to 1 ton though, at least in the search I conducted. For that reason I had kinda settled on a Vestil 2 ton geared trolley (only because the geared one was on sale, so it was approximately the same cost as the equivalent push version). Titan has a 2 ton offering but at only $126 it seems kinda too-good-to-be-true again. It has mixed reviews to boot.

    As for hoists, I am considering one of the following:
    1) Roughneck Manual Chain Hoist - 2 Ton, 10ft. Lift
    2) TOHO HSZ-622A OP Chain Block Hoist with Overload Protection (3 Ton, 20 Ft. Chain) (price delta is small, but don't need a 20' chain, so...I dunno, small possibility of an option for me here)
    3) Maasdam 48520 Manual Chain Hoist 2 Ton, Black

    There's also a Torin hoist for significantly less cost, but it also has mixed reviews; the ones that state that you don't receive what is pictured are enough to put me off...so I'll likely pass on that one.

    So if I was on the hot seat and had to buy now (which I don't), I would likely get the Vestil 2 ton geared trolley with the Maasdam hoist. Thoughts?

    Thanks!
    Jerry

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Modesto, CA USA
    Posts
    6,877
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1147

    Default

    I would suggest an "army type" or "cyclone" integrated trolley and hoist for maximum headroom. CM makes a low headroom trolley. The more height under the hook the better. Unless you are using it everyday there is no need for a driven trolley.
    Bill D

    Cyclone Trolley Hoist for LH - 4834, Capacity: 1 Ton, Lift: 10'

    https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/89817738

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    15,068
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by av8or1 View Post

    As for hoists, I am considering one of the following:
    1) Roughneck Manual Chain Hoist - 2 Ton, 10ft. Lift
    2) TOHO HSZ-622A OP Chain Block Hoist with Overload Protection (3 Ton, 20 Ft. Chain) (price delta is small, but don't need a 20' chain, so...I dunno, small possibility of an option for me here)
    3) Maasdam 48520 Manual Chain Hoist 2 Ton, Black

    There's also a Torin hoist for significantly less cost, but it also has mixed reviews; the ones that state that you don't receive what is pictured are enough to put me off...so I'll likely pass on that one.

    So if I was on the hot seat and had to buy now (which I don't), I would likely get the Vestil 2 ton geared trolley with the Maasdam hoist. Thoughts?

    Thanks!
    Jerry
    total cost sourcing from HF...about $150 both trolley and chain fall.

    Which is what I recommend.

    FWIW VEstil is sourcing from china, and using different color of paint, quality is no better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I would suggest an "army type" or "cyclone" integrated trolley and hoist for maximum headroom. CM makes a low headroom trolley. The more height under the hook the better. Unless you are using it everyday there is no need for a driven trolley.
    Bill D

    Cyclone Trolley Hoist for LH - 4834, Capacity: 1 Ton, Lift: 10'

    https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/89817738
    LK Goodwin Company - Cyclone Low Headroom Trolley Hoist
    "$2,785.00+$696.25 shipping."

    slightly higher cost to save a foot of head room eh ?

  5. #125
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Posts
    692
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    354
    Likes (Received)
    232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    LK Goodwin Company - Cyclone Low Headroom Trolley Hoist
    "$2,785.00+$696.25 shipping."

    slightly higher cost to save a foot of head room eh ?
    He can get an army type hoist from eBay for pretty darn cheap. I'm partial to CM and was able to purchase a very good condition CM 1 ton army hoist for about $400 the day I started looking. Exactly what I wanted. Last I looked, odd ball variants of hoists command considerably less. IE a 10ft lifting chain with a 40ft hand chain length.

    I'd say saving a foot+ of daylight would be well worth a couple hundred dollars more. The OP isn't exactly trying to do things the cheap or easy way.

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California, Central Coast
    Posts
    3,540
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2187
    Likes (Received)
    1369

    Default

    Like this one:
    CM Series 648 Cyclone Low Headroom Trolley Hoist | eBay
    Search for low headroom, chain hoist trolly, or different combinations, others worth looking at as well.
    Army hoist came up with this:
    Budget 4-Ton Army Type Trolley Hoist | eBay
    I searched on used items, too much new crap to look through otherwise.

  7. Likes av8or1 liked this post
  8. #127
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    15,068
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kb0thn View Post
    He can get an army type hoist from eBay for pretty darn cheap. I'm partial to CM and was able to purchase a very good condition CM 1 ton army hoist for about $400 the day I started looking. Exactly what I wanted. Last I looked, odd ball variants of hoists command considerably less. IE a 10ft lifting chain with a 40ft hand chain length.

    I'd say saving a foot+ of daylight would be well worth a couple hundred dollars more. The OP isn't exactly trying to do things the cheap or easy way.
    The OP linked to cheap Chinese hoist, I can only figure the budget based on inputs given.

    is the E-bay low headroom ones adjustable ?

    Many of those are made for a certain beam only.

  9. #128
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California, Central Coast
    Posts
    3,540
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2187
    Likes (Received)
    1369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    is the E-bay low headroom ones adjustable ?

    Many of those are made for a certain beam only.
    The one I linked to looks to be, adjust the washer stack under the side plates.

  10. Likes digger doug liked this post
  11. #129
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    85
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Default

    Ok thank y'all for the feedback. I'll take a look and see what I can turn up.

    As for the items that I referenced in my previous post, those were more of strawman ideas really, which is why I said "if I had to choose now." But as I mentioned, I don't have to choose now. The primary reason for posing the question was to research the options a bit by asking folk who are in-the-know (that means you) for their opinions/suggestions. And I did that because what I was finding didn't pass the smell test as it were. I mean something just didn't seem right. digger doug confirmed as much, so I won't be going with the Vestil product, for example.

    I'll do more searching tonight...

    Thanks again,
    Jerry

  12. #130
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California, Central Coast
    Posts
    3,540
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2187
    Likes (Received)
    1369

    Default

    Here is another I saw earlier, This style has the hoising mechanisms on either side of the beam instead of all hanging below.
    The second link is a better example but too big, it has the trolley built in where the first has a hook to hang from another trolley.
    Chester Zephyr 1 1/2 Ton Manual Chain Hoist With Beam Trolley | eBay

    5-ton Chester Zephyr Swivel Geared Trolley Low Headroom Hand hoist Lbs. | eBay
    A smaller one like the 5 ton would be the ideal hoist, IMHO.

  13. #131
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    85
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Default

    Thank y'all for the help, I appreciate it.

    To speak openly, if I spent that kind of money on a trolley and hoist I think my wife would have my guts strung up on the end of her razor-sharp Russian knife. As another poster observed, I've already splurged plenty on this project, so in light of the cost, I may need to dial back my weight requirement and look at 1-ton variants or else sacrifice a little height by opting for a separate trolley and hoist configuration.

    With that in mind, I did notice these CM trolley offerings on EBay:

    Cm Series 632 1 Ton 2000 lb 1000 kg Close Radius Low Headroom Trolley | eBay

    And similarly:

    2 Ton CM chain hoist trolley | eBay

    Then this for the hoist:

    1 TON HS type chain Block / chain hoist | eBay

    or this:

    Chain HOIST 2 ton 12' lift | eBay

    This guy is selling a trolley and a hoist as a set only:

    CM 1 ton Manual Chain Fall Hoist 646 with trolley 632 | eBay

    Not sure what the shipping on something like that (or any of this) would be, but it'll be what it is.

    So this is where I'm headed at the moment. I think it was digger doug who mentioned the $150 price point all in for both. I may not be far off of that, at least in comparison to the $1000+ suggestions.

    Wow, just found a relatively cheap but used 5-ton variant, not that I need that much. But he's in the South, and that would make shipping less:

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Ton-Beam-...wAAOSw7rdacNZl

    Thanks,
    Jerry

    ps- I did manage to grind out 2 or 3 of the wayward holes tonight after work. However darkness put an end to things all too early now that we're back on standard time...

  14. #132
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California, Central Coast
    Posts
    3,540
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2187
    Likes (Received)
    1369

    Default

    The ones I was linking to were to show what it seems like you want (and should have). Wast sugesting you buy THOSE ones linked, just look for similar. The prices were high, especially the $1300 one.
    I must have about over a dozen hoists (most hand, 1 or 2 electric and one air powered) here and nearly as many trollies. Out of all of them I think I bought 2 of them for $40 each or so, then they started to multiply. Dont get in a hurry, you can always put a strap over the top of the beam with a come-a-long hooked to it to get by for a while.
    Another option would be a hand crank winch (or electric) mounted on one of the legs, the cable goes up to a pulley and over to center of beam to another pulley to go down. This would get you to about the max headroom also.

  15. Likes av8or1 liked this post
  16. #133
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Posts
    692
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    354
    Likes (Received)
    232

    Default

    Rob's idea of the strap over the beam is a good one. Then you can get a throw away $40 chain hoist and a $10 strap. I do that on my outdoor Spanco gantry crane when I need the head room.

    A nice part about a nice chain hoist is the load limiter. I have CM army hoist with load limiter on my small 1 ton bridge crane in my home shop. It's a little peace of mind that I can't easily grossly overload the crane.

    2 tons is a lot. If money is now a concern on it, I would buy some cheap 1 ton gear and keep your eye out for a sweet deal on on what you really want. They come around. Used lifting gear can occasionally be pennies on the dollar. But only when you don't need it. It is eye wateringly expensive when you need it right now. Once you get the good gear, throw away the dollar store chain hoist and be glad it didn't kill you.

  17. #134
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    85
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Default

    Rob- Oh sure, I understood that you were suggesting that I find similar units. However my search didn't really result in similar units that were much cheaper than those you cited. So I gave up the ghost WRT effort. I appreciate the pointers though, thanks. Sage advice to not get into a hurry; good call. I've been looking off-and-on (off more than on with the recent events) but now that I am closing in on actually *finishing* the project, it's time to get serious. I appreciate the suggestion of a strap over the beam and such, but that kind of stuff was and is the very reason I went down this build-a-gantry-crane route in the first place.

    The removal of the cab off of my F350 was the impetus of this endeavor; as mentioned towards the beginning of the thread (I think) I considered a number of ways to go about doing that. Using farm jacks to raise it just enough to roll the frame out from underneath was one idea, for example. However none of what I came up with seemed reasonably safe. At all really. So I decided to try my hand at building a gantry. And I appreciate the guidance along the way from folk on this forum. Thumbs up.

    In the end, I made an offer to the Ebay seller for that 5-ton trolley (used) and a 2 ton hoist (also used with a 12' lift. The seller is down South so the shipping for each is about $60. That'll bring the total all-in to about $450, which seems reasonable for what I am getting. I'll advertise the fact that I "bought used" to the other half instead of mentioning price and that should work. Nah, she isn't that bad actually, but still, I put them first, so I am self-regulating a bit. I also have some expenditures looming in the projects with which I'll use the gantry (engine rebuilds, tranny rebuilds, etc.) so ya need to be forward thinking too. Thus the reasoning behind keeping the price point in the couple-to-few-hundred range. But I digress.

    I realize that the 5 ton trolley, being used, probably isn't a 5 ton trolley any longer (am I right?) but I have no intention of coming anywhere near that, and couldn't with the hoist anyway. The point being that y'all shouldn't think that I went with this trolley option because I want 5 ton capability. No, that wasn't the reason. The reason is that it is what this seller had on-hand, and even if it's not its former self WRT its max load potential, it's still gonna be far more than I need. So there's some peace of mind there due to the overkill factor, though now that I put a few cycles to it, I hope it wasn't abused in its life. That doesn't appear to be the case, but we'll see. I plan on separating the halves, taking a look at them and at a minimum grinding off the surface rust and applying paint.

    Anyway.

    Thank you again!
    Jerry

  18. #135
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    85
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kb0thn View Post
    2 tons is a lot. If money is now a concern on it, I would buy some cheap 1 ton gear and keep your eye out for a sweet deal on on what you really want. They come around. Used lifting gear can occasionally be pennies on the dollar. But only when you don't need it. It is eye wateringly expensive when you need it right now. Once you get the good gear, throw away the dollar store chain hoist and be glad it didn't kill you.
    This (in bold) is it: the very thing I was trying to avoid from the outset. Well said kb0thn. So after all of this work on building a gantry to avoid that, I am not about to go-crazy-cheap on the suspension mechanism only to have that be a potential issue. I mean how funny would that be ... you build this fancy crane, cheap out on the load suspension gear and have it fall. What would have been the point in building the crane? LOL!

    I just hope that by going used I don't fall into the same boat.

    Thanks,
    Jerry

  19. #136
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    85
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Default

    Y'all-

    How has everyone been? I hope that you are well and that you will have a good holiday season. Best wishes!

    I've been making slow but steady progress on the gantry crane build, as time would allow with work and family stuff. Other factors were the weather and if I felt up to it WRT the medical thing. Slow but steady isn't a bad thing, depending, so I was grateful for being able to work on it at all considering...

    Anyway my primary objective since being able to work on it again has been to stand it. I ran out of hardware (somehow!) and had to return for more. Wasn't too happy with myself over that one, but it happens. So with the hardware in-hand, how was I gonna go about this? As mentioned in previous posts, there are a number of options that can be had. Like everything there are advantages and disadvantages to each.

    In the end, I decided on the approach shown in this video:


    though I wouldn't have anyone to help me. I insisted that the wife and son remain in the house for the duration of this particular work task. That would pose some difficulty, but I devised a way around it.

    To appease the "keep it short" police however, I will continue in the next post.

  20. #137
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    85
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Default

    Continuing...

    Now I realize that some of you may not be a fan of that approach. However I felt that it was the best for me in my particular situation, partly due to the solitary nature of my work method. Therefore for several reasons I went this way...

    So now that the approach decision was made, just how did I plan on executing that given that there would be no assistance? That process, in microcosm, was an iterative series of small tasks. The first was to join the main beam to the inner verticals. I then had to determine how to reinstall the outers onto the inners. That wasn't easy to do, as they are heavy and - again - I would have no help. What I decided on was to flip the outer onto its side, with the leg up in the air. I then lifted each end with a floor jack and put those ends on car dollies. I needed to keep a hand on the leg to ensure that it didn't fall over, but even so I managed to maneuver it into position relative to its corresponding inner. I then secured the leg and lifted the other end onto that inner. Using floor jacks, I was able to slide the outer onto the inner; once it was in place by several inches I no longer needed to worry about the steadying of the leg. Here is the basic idea:


    From that point, it was just a matter of progressively aligning the inner and outer via the floor jacks until they were fully mated. At that point I installed the locking pin, removed the leg from the dolly and the job was done:


    I did the other side the next night, then took this picture prior to work the following morning:


    And now I was set. Time to stand 'er up! I had wanted to use the winch on my F350, just as shown in the video. However I had already begun to disassemble the F350, so that was out, as the truck is INOP at present. Therefore I decided to employ a bit more of a brute force method by merely pulling it up with the F450. That worked and as of tonight my gantry is on its feet:


    So that's major progress! I still need to touch up the paint (need to remove the one ram jack first), re-install both ram jacks and install the casters. And of course remove the ballast that I used to slow the standing progress of the gantry as it reached its tipping point and thereafter. The ballast was a collection several of my junk wheels and tires plus some of the steep scrap/unused components from this project. Together they did a good job of braking the gantry as it came to life. In this regard, that ballast essentially served the same purpose as the guy you see in the above video.

    I did manage to get the gantry onto the car dollies temporarily:


    But I had to leave it there for the night, as darkness was rolling in and I had family duties to attend to.

    In regard to the notion of "seeing it live", I did make a video of this process. However I haven't edited it yet. I just let the camera run and forgot about it, so it is in need of fast forwarding. I'll post a link when I have uploaded it.

    So that is the latest.

    Thank you for reading,
    Jerry

  21. #138
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    85
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Default

    As I stated I would, here is the video of my standing of the gantry crane. 32x speed:

  22. #139
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    85
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Default

    Amid all of the Thanksgiving shopping and prep, I found time this evening to mount the casters:


    As usual darkness got the better of me, so that's all of the progress since standing it a few days ago. I am taking vacation this week however, so I should have time to polish the project off. Waiting for the paint to dry will likely be the most time consuming task.

    I did attempt to move the gantry around a bit afterwards. Once the casters were all turned in the same direction (roughly), I found it less difficult to move around than I imagined. Granted, moving this beast required some effort but I chalked that up to the fact that I am operating on uneven and cracked asphalt. Lots of acorns around this time of year too dontchaknow. I suspect that if I was indoors on a smooth concrete floor, it would be noticeably easier.

    Anyway thanks,
    Jerry

  23. #140
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    85
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Default

    My slow but steady progress on the gantry continued today. On the agenda was to touch up the paint and attempt to hang the trolley and hoist. As it would work out however, there was so much touch up paint to do that I spent the majority of the day on that alone. I mean you can't just slap some paint on and call it a day (well you could, but...). Thus between the angle grinder with its flap disc, the cleaning, the primer, the waiting for the primer to dry, then the actual application of burnt orange paint, I suppose it's little wonder that most of the day was consumed with this task. That said, once the final bits of paint were on the crane, it cleaned up reasonably well:


    I then turned my attention to the trolley and hoist. You might recall that I chose to go with a 5 ton trolley and a 2 ton hoist, the thought being - as always throughout this build - overkill, overkill, overkill. And gheez lemme tell ya what...these things put the "heavy" in "heavy duty." The weight alone of these components causes me to believe that those ratings are accurate, or at least they were when new. Even in the likely event that they are not quite up to that these days, they far exceeds my needs and I like that.

    Keeping it short for the keep-it-short police...


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •