Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So back to the trolley and hoist...

These critters arrived in 3 or 4 boxes. I opened them for the first time today and found them exactly in the condition described in the ad (Ebay). So I was happy that I received what I had ordered. I decided to purchase used but in good working condition over going new because - from what I saw when I did a search - I could get heftier components for an equivalent price, if not less. The only potential downside to this choice is that there might not quite be enough clearance to lift the cab off of the F350 due to the vertical space that the trolley and hoist combination will consume. TBD. If that ends up being the case, I have at least 12" that I would feel comfortable raising the beam beyond the 11' mark. Beyond that there wouldn't be enough of the inner remaining inside the outer vertical for my comfort level. So if I need this, I'll just weld on a second set of upper mounts on each inner, at some distance below the existing mounts. Them lock the inner in the highest position with the pin, undo the ram jack from the existing upper mount and connect it to the new lower one. Then elevate the beam again. That will give me the 12" of additional height, which would be the maximum that I would allow it to go.

That said, I only need to lift the cab enough to roll the chassis, engine and transmission forward, so hopefully the maximum height I have currently (11') will be sufficient. The other option of course would be to source a low profile trolley and hoist combination that I'd use only in scenarios in which I'd need the maximum height possible. This however will not be the most probable use case scenario and for that reason I am not concerned about it at present. Time will tell just how wise that is.

More in the next post...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In regard to my plans for prepping the trolley and hoist, I decided to perform a functional test to determine if these two were indeed in good working order. I could then decide which direction to follow from that point. They both passed their tests easily. They are in great shape overall:

Therefore I opted to forego a full teardown; instead I decided that I'd just clean them up a bit by grinding off most of the rust and whatever loose paint I found. That is, I was not seeking a perfect paint job on this one, just something marginally respectful. This too would prove to be a time sink, as there are 39 of the spacers (x2 sides) alone. Eventually though I had the work completed:

And I managed to apply my usual bit of rusty metal primer:

Albeit to only one side, as my nemesis The Dark showed up again and I didn't feel like painting in low light tonight. So that's where I left it for today. I hope that tomorrow will see the trolley mounted onto the main beam and the hoist mounted onto the trolley. That would be a fantastic result, and it would mark the end of the build, at least primarily. I do plan to add (ergo weld) a few odds and ends, such as containers/holders for the locking pins and the ram jack handles, amongst others. I may post those details, but probably not.

Anyway thanks!
    Jerry

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fuck. You are slow.

I have 3 kids and a wife that works full time and you know what's nuts? I built a 7000 sq ft 20 ft tall shop including forming and pouring concrete in less time than you have been working on this fucking bullshit crane thing.

Find a hobby site.

4. Likes tdmidget liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Winter is setting in . . . time to curl up with a good book

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And now that you've fucked up and ground off the data on the nameplates the hoist and trolley are not legal for overhead lifting.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To the three previous posters, feel free to discontinue reading my thread. I mean gheez, if you don't like something so be it; find the door and walk away. However to post such dribble as the above (with less-than-original color commentary) that contributes nothing to the content itself is mere egomania at best. You must think that you "got game" and have some value add. However there's no "there there", just noise that reminds me of the frivolity associated with the bark of an old dog sans teeth.

Or to speak in terms you would understand, eff off.

ps-Nothing was ground off you twit; I taped over the information plates and will remove that tape once the paint dries. Sheesh, the egotism in such statement is mind numbingly bewildering...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Folk-

Given the type of responses I've received, I'll opt to end this build thread here. Not sure why such bottom feeders exist on what otherwise seems like a great website, but they do. And I've had enough. The build is almost completed anyway. They're isn't much that remains. Thus I think that most readers could fill in the blank with respect to the work that lies ahead. As I stated at the outset and as I had to remind certain individuals along the way, I wrote this with the intention of helping others who might attempt the endeavor at some point in the future.

I hope that someday I indeed achieve that goal.

Thanks,
    Jerry

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dont mind them. I thought that motion guru was responding to garwood.... could be wrong but thats how I read it.
    Build looks good so far, some pics of it raised up and with a load hanging under it would be sweet.

10. Likes motion guru liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    Fuck. You are slow.

I have 3 kids and a wife that works full time and you know what's nuts? I built a 7000 sq ft 20 ft tall shop including forming and pouring concrete in less time than you have been working on this fucking bullshit crane thing.

Find a hobby site.
    No !

Post #142 should have introduced us to a "Live Streaming Web Cam" link, so we could watch, 24/7, in real time, "Paint drying".....

Rattle can paint drying to be exact.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by av8or1 View Post
    Folk-

Given the type of responses I've received, I'll opt to end this build thread here. Not sure why such bottom feeders exist on what otherwise seems like a great website, but they do. And I've had enough. The build is almost completed anyway. They're isn't much that remains. Thus I think that most readers could fill in the blank with respect to the work that lies ahead. As I stated at the outset and as I had to remind certain individuals along the way, I wrote this with the intention of helping others who might attempt the endeavor at some point in the future.

Thanks,
    Jerry
    What YOU failed to do....when you came here was "read & look around", before starting
    to post.

Did you see any other "build" threads ?

No you did not.

Asking some questions on how to do things, and even some pix (we like pix) is one thing.

Also, you stated you want to "help" people, and yet you received good advice of
    changes (from some professionals) to make of your poor design, yet did nothing.

"Build post's" are popular at weldingweb, cnc-zone, homeshopmachinist, etc.
    Last edited by digger doug; 11-26-2019 at 07:11 PM.

13. Likes Garwood liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know how to sugar coat it. This kind of stuff doesn't belong here.

It's a bad design, poorly executed with bird shit welds displayed in a manner that is just plain irritating to follow along with.

Why in the hell would you put hydraulic jacks to raise and lower it? Use some boat winches or something. A couple old bomb hoists would work super slick even. You're going to pump each side 5000 times to lift what? 300 lbs?

I just hope that stuff like this never proliferates here. If it stops your thread, super. Go somewhere else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by av8or1 View Post
    Folk-

Thanks,
    Jerry

Hoorah!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Motion Guru I think everyone else missed your humor. That looks like something many teenagers should read, if they still read.
    Bill D

17. Likes motion guru, Ray Behner liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Motion Guru I think everyone else missed your humor. That looks like something many teenagers should read, if they still read.
    Bill D
    It’s a great book, especially the chapter on Work . . . I have a growing respect for Senator Sasse

19. Likes Ray Behner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by motion guru View Post
    It’s a great book, especially the chapter on Work . . . I have a growing respect for Senator Sasse
    For a young guy, he's got it together........even if he's a politician.