What's new
What's new

Towmotor/Caterpillar 510p

arj

Plastic
Hello everyone,

Iam from the Netherlands and i bought a old Towmotor forklift, the type plate says : model 510PG2524 Type G Truck
It runs and drives, only problem is that the waterpump is leaking.

That will be a small fix, i figured out that this forklift have a continental F163 Engine and i can buy the waterpump parts locally.

I have another queston,i have 2 pedals on the floor, 1 clutch and 1 brake.
there is a handle onder the steering wheel with''neutral, forward an reverse position.
When i push the clutch nothing will happen, i see there is a linkage with the brake and when i push the cluch the forklift brakes and stops.

I opened the clutch box (big plate in the floor behind the steering wheel) I see there 2 gears, big one and a smaller one and a clutch disc with fingers.
All the fingers are ok and no one broken.The whole box is filled with oil (not full, its below the cluch dic)
When i push the cluch i see nothing moving in the clutch box, only a plunger (hydraulic valve ??)in the front of the gearbox moves in and out.

Can anyone explain how this transmission works ? And is there an oil level and where can i proove it ?

And is there something on this gearbox that is can set ? As i told, the forklift drives forward and backwards, but when i loose the clutc/brake it jumps forwards or backwards (even the position the lever behind the steering wheel is)

Also the hydraulic steerign didnt work wel but thats for later.

Hi, I will try to help, However my memory is a little foggy on that model as it is over 60+ years since I worked on one of those. That is a Towmotorque....Their
version of an auto transmission. On a level surface put truck in forward gear with brake applied and release brake..truck should move.lightly apply left
pedal and truck should go out of gear but not stop until you apply more pressure.If it does that it is working correctly as that is how you disengage the gearbox to allow you to rev the engine to make a lift. Depending on the idle speed setting they could be a little jerky on that maneuver.Try that first and see the results? As they also had other time lag shift issues, but that is for
another time.

Hi, I will try to help, However my memory is a little foggy on that model as it is over 60+ years since I worked on one of those. That is a Towmotorque....Their
version of an auto transmission. On a level surface put truck in forward gear with brake applied and release brake..truck should move.lightly apply left
pedal and truck should go out of gear but not stop until you apply more pressure.If it does that it is working correctly as that is how you disengage the gearbox to allow you to rev the engine to make a lift. Depending on the idle speed setting they could be a little jerky on that maneuver.Try that first and see the results? As they also had other time lag shift issues, but that is for
another time.

Thanks a lot for your reply!
I will try this next week, i working on the waterpump now so i cant start the engine.

I found a manual on the web , check this out: http://mimsriggers.com/assets/Towmotor Towmotorque Service Manual20140130.pdf

The steering, (knuckles, spindles, kingpins) on the 510P are notorious as a weak point. When you get it running, jack her up and have a close look at the steering components. Repair or replacement of a worn part is much easier before it fails and drops the counterweight to the ground. Regards, Clark

Here a little update on my work on the towmotor. I replaced the waterpump, it was not aesy to get the correct pump for a fair price.
Continental engines are not so common here in Europe!
Now i can drive around with the forklift.

At first: is it normal that it ''jumps'' forward or backward when i change gear ?
Engine speed drops down then.

Can anyone tell me how to test the transmission ?
Is there some place where i can check the oil level of the transmission ?

You are in the Netherlands ...TVH is in Belgium ...how hard can a common waterpump be....and as I said already ,the Continental waterpump is easily rebuildable ,a few roubles for bearings and a seal....Tranny sounds OK ,if it jumps on change ,idle is a bit high ......fault is either dragging one direction in neutral position ,or very slow to engage ,or slippage +heat......Filler cap usually has a dipstick in the assy......Incidentally ,all our forks ran on settled waste compressor oil(R&O68) ....tranny ,lift ,steering ,the lot.....and 50/50 waste oil +diesel for fuel....waste not want not.

You are in the Netherlands ...TVH is in Belgium ...how hard can a common waterpump be....and as I said already ,the Continental waterpump is easily rebuildable ,a few roubles for bearings and a seal....Tranny sounds OK ,if it jumps on change ,idle is a bit high ......fault is either dragging one direction in neutral position ,or very slow to engage ,or slippage +heat......Filler cap usually has a dipstick in the assy......Incidentally ,all our forks ran on settled waste compressor oil(R&O68) ....tranny ,lift ,steering ,the lot.....and 50/50 waste oil +diesel for fuel....waste not want not.

Pump was broken so only a new bearing wouldnt work.
There companies here that can deliver a pump but not for a fair price, some companies ask more than 400,- euro for the pump.
Thats half the price i pay for the forklift...:eek:

Back