What's new
What's new

Need to move my new VMC from Portland, OR

OldGold

Plastic
Does anybody have any recommendations on somebody that can transport a Sharp SV-2412 VMC? I just purchased a machine, my first cnc mill, and I need to get it transported from the Portland, OR area about 2 hours north to WA. Also, any advice on transporting a CNC machine during the rainy months?

Thanks for the help.

If the seller can load, have a towing company with a rollback transport it. Try to schedule a day with absolutely no rain, or make sure it's tarped well. Otherwise you could use a freight company to haul it with an air ride equipped conestoga. Rent an 10k forklift with long forks to unload.

The seller does not have a way to load and rental companies either don’t have forklifts to rent for a few weeks or they want $750 for the rental. I have a forklift on my end as well as a trailer for transporting the machine, but can’t line up a reasonably priced forklift on the other end. I just cannot swallow the $750 for an hour of use, especially since I own one. That’s why I’m thinking of hiring a company to do it all for me but I have no experience with any companies or members that provide the service. Thanks.

Where is it at?

"Portland area" encompasses an a few hundred square miles of Oregon. "Portland area" goes 30 miles past where I live and I live 30 miles from Portland.

If you think $750 for a forklift is rough you'd better be sitting down when you get a quote for rigging.

I'd just pay the $750 if I were you. You might see if the seller has a better hookup on a lift rental. Some times shops that regularly rent lifts get better rates. Hopefully you got a good deal on the machine. Always consider the cost of rigging/transport when machine shopping and factor it into the total cost.

I use Wilhelm Trucking in Portland as my riggers. For a 2hour trip, they would probably transport it themselves, and as riggers they are fully equipped to load, unload and position. For a longer journey, there's a co-located LandStar office they coordinate with for LTL or full-load hauling.

I got a fair deal on the machine. I was just looking for a fair deal on a forklift and $750 is not what I call a fair deal. My initial post was asking about companies that provide transport for machines like this one. I have not had to use any, since I’ve always transported my own machinery, up to 10k pounds. I’d rather pay someone extra and not have to lift a finger versus wasting a day or two doing it myself, plus exorbitant rental fees. I may just haul my forklift down there. I’ll check out Wilhelm Trucking. Thank you for providing that.

So where is it?

I'm not giving advice until you say where it is. I move machines the Portland area, but if you don't want to provide the bare minimum info then you can figure it out on your own.

I pulled all of mine up on my trailer with the winch on the pickup then hauled them the 1000 miles from Ca to northern Idaho, we tried to go around the weather and tarped them when we couldn't. I opened all the doors and let fans blow on them a day or two before we put them to work. For your trip that roll back truck would be real easy
IMG_7263.jpg
IMG_7299.jpg

So where is it?

I'm not giving advice until you say where it is. I move machines the Portland area, but if you don't want to provide the bare minimum info then you can figure it out on your own.

That’s fine. It’s in Portland. If that’s not specific enough for you, I don’t know what you consider bare minimum. Besides, no matter how big the Portland area is, the machine still needs to be transported out of the area. If you only operate in a select region of the Portland area, that doesn’t help me. Thank you for the response regardless.

My trailer is a tilt deck and plenty wide enough. Maybe winching the machine up the deck isn’t a bad idea. It should slide nicely across the wet wooden decking. Does anyone have any reasons why I shouldn’t consider doing this?

Thanks

Where is it at?

"Portland area" encompasses an a few hundred square miles of Oregon. "Portland area" goes 30 miles past where I live and I live 30 miles from Portland.

If you think $750 for a forklift is rough you'd better be sitting down when you get a quote for rigging.

With shipping prices going through the roof I would expect rigging has done the same.

That’s fine. It’s in Portland. If that’s not specific enough for you, I don’t know what you consider bare minimum. Besides, no matter how big the Portland area is, the machine still needs to be transported out of the area. If you only operate in a select region of the Portland area, that doesn’t help me. Thank you for the response regardless.

My trailer is a tilt deck and plenty wide enough. Maybe winching the machine up the deck isn’t a bad idea. It should slide nicely across the wet wooden decking. Does anyone have any reasons why I shouldn’t consider doing this?

Thanks

I'm too busy to move your shit. I wasn't offering. I have rented a lot of forklifts between Eugene and Everett. Thought I could offer some insight, but you're too smart for that.

Thanks
That is what I would do, bringing along some wood skids and rollers just in case. Or if getting it that high off the ground makes you uncomfortable then rent a drop deck trailer.

I'm too busy to move your shit. I wasn't offering. I have rented a lot of forklifts between Eugene and Everett. Thought I could offer some insight, but you're too smart for that.

Wow, I must’ve offended you in a previous life. Yeah, you seem real eager to help with my “shit”. If only everyone was as kind and professional as you. If you had any helpful advice to give, you would have given it. Rather, you come onto these forums to try to make your narcissistic self feel superior to those like myself, who genuinely seek a little friendly guidance. What would we do without you?!? I highly doubt anyone appreciates your aggressive and immature responses on this board. I don’t want your help and I certainly don’t need it. Take care.

To everyone else that responded with actual suggestions and provided helpful content, thank you. It gives me some options and things to think about. At this time, I’m either going to hire John at Campbell Ness to move the machine or I may just trailer my forklift to the machine and do it myself. I think the skid technique is a viable option, but I wouldn’t want to risk leaving any marks or damage on the floor or driveway of the gentleman I bought it from. One way or another, I’ll get the machine moved this week. I’m just hoping for a dry day.

Thanks again!

Wow, I must’ve offended you in a previous life. Yeah, you seem real eager to help with my “shit”. If only everyone was as kind and professional as you. If you had any helpful advice to give, you would have given it. Rather, you come onto these forums to try to make your narcissistic self feel superior to those like myself, who genuinely seek a little friendly guidance. What would we do without you?!? I highly doubt anyone appreciates your aggressive and immature responses on this board. I don’t want your help and I certainly don’t need it. Take

That's not how it works at all.

You're too stupid or stubborn to give a meaningful location so you get to figure it out on your own.

That's not how it works at all.

You're too stupid or stubborn to give a meaningful location so you get to figure it out on your own.

Please mister… I’m lost without you and your almighty wisdom. I genuinely feel sorry for you. I really hope you can get well. Nothing in my post should’ve aggravated you like it did. There are plenty of self help books as well as professionals that can provide assistance to you. Take care of yourself and good luck.

Back