What's new
What's new

Need a recommendation for shipping a bridgeport

I need a recommendation for shipping a bridgeport - first time I've done this. Need both rigging and moving :/

I've seen a substantial spread in prices, so I figure the best is just to get a couple of quotes - but any recommendations for who to contact? So far Atlas wanted a decent chunk (5-8k) which doesn't totally make sense, so I'm hoping to find someone else. Unless ya'll tell me that's unreasonable :D

Need more info, you shipping from Tx or to Tx? Are you selling or buying? If buying, between rigging and shipping, expect to pay out the nose, and probably get crappy service, and a busted machine. Sad to say, but that is reality.

I would crate that thing myself. Make sure the pallet is wide enough L X W so it can’t tip over in the truck. Make the pallet out of 4x4’s and cover it with plywood top and bottom. Make sure the bottom of the mill is really lag bolted down directly to the 4x4’s. Use several steel bands to band it down to the pallet as well. Wrap the shit out of it in plastic wrap. I’m not sure if I would bother boxing it in. People still poke holes though the sides of the crate with the forks unless you get some serious plywood on the sides of the crate. Hire a freight company to come get it. Done and done anywhere in the US under $1000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lower table all the way down and at end of travel seat it on a wood block, the wood will cary the weight of the table, not the screw. Then rotate the head 180º so it is upside down. This will lower the center of gravity as well as make the machine shorter to crate. Probably should run the head all the way forward also so nothing is sticking out over the back. It couldn't hurt to remove the handles if you are really worried.
Thinking a bit more the table could be removed and stood on end in the crate to make a smaller footprint crate, maybe close to pallet size.

Lag bolts suck, drill holes, use bolts nuts and thick over size washers. I will not ship machinery inside box trucks, flatbed only.

Flatbed for a little old Bridgeport? Hell we've hauled two in the back of a pickup at the same time.

Pretty near every knee mill ever made shipped from the factory in a box truck or shipping container or possibly rail car. Most of them seem to make where they are going.

Flatbed for a little old Bridgeport? Hell we've hauled two in the back of a pickup at the same time.

Pretty near every knee mill ever made shipped from the factory in a box truck or shipping container or possibly rail car. Most of them seem to make where they are going.

Yes, but mfr had them bolted to oversize skids, and filled a truck full. You go to ship something like that today and at pickup the box is empty, so first time driver slams on brakes, there she goes.......The very last time I shipped a machine like that, it was on an oversize skid, and driver used those wimpy load locking bars, week later I got a pic of a busted machine. With a flatbed, you can strap it down.

Are you on the shipping or receiving end of this project?
Need rigging on both ends and a pallet built?
How far? Alaska to Texas would be a long truck ride.
Best way is to remove the four bolts and remove the head and ram from the base. No longer top heavy, it's then a easy two skids and LTL but it still has to be rigged out and in.
Depending on machine size this breakdown puts you into liftgate territory so a pallet jack on each end works.
I'd say $5-8k is crazy land.
Bob

The rolls of clear plastic wrap are really useful for shipping machines .....the stuff sticks to itself ,is very strong,and more secure than straps or ropes .....basically if you mummywrap the machine and pallet in one lump ,its going to be pretty secure........only catch is dont leave it like this in the weather ,it will sweat and rust from condensation.

The rolls of clear plastic wrap are really useful for shipping machines .....the stuff sticks to itself ,is very strong,and more secure than straps or ropes .....basically if you mummywrap the machine and pallet in one lump ,its going to be pretty secure........only catch is dont leave it like this in the weather ,it will sweat and rust from condensation.

Not sure how this helps a full standing B-port type machine basically begging to fall over sideways.
Bob

Im not suggesting it shouldnt be bolted to the pallet.....and a good solid hardwood pallet,not some pine disposable......if you can find one ,there was a few pressed steel pallets at one time,but they didnt last compared to hardwood.A 4x4 pallet is all the space you are going to get without paying a lot extra from a trucking company,and generally they will block it in with other load ,making it stable.

Seems like I forgot to include some info in my original post!

Yeah I'm shipping it from San Jose, CA to Austin TX. Sorry I forgot to mention it. I'm shipping it from one facility to another, so I'm on both shipping and receiving ends. I think it weighs about 3000 lbs. We're not a proper shop, it's just something used off and on and while we could crate it ourselves, it might be more trouble than it's worth. Which is why it would be great to just pay someone to do it!

Back