What's new
What's new

Need some info on a Hyster forklift.

KIMFAB

Stainless
I recently acquired a 4000 lb Hyster forklift that needs some love.

It was in storage for several years and the left front wheel is frozen among other problems.

Where do I look for the model number so I can find some kind of info for repair?

mvtva288.jpg

Thanks.

We have a 6000 lb. Hyster. Slightly different model and probably a bit older. On ours the model no. is stamped on the floor near the throttle pedal. Look carefully because there may be several layers of paint covering it...

Sounds like a brake problem. Most forklifts that I have worked on were pretty straight forward requiring moderate mechanical skills.
I have an old Clark forklift that had no brakes. I removed wheel/brake drums, honed wheel cylinders and just re-used cups that looked OK. The cups were a standard size that I could have gone to NAPA and buy generic.
If shoes are contaminated Brake Clean will clean them good enough for a low speed vehicle.

Well it's an H40, but the specific model such as A,B etc. would be determined by the serial number if available. The manufacturers tag should be on the cowl below the dash if original or on the seat hood if not. Or if you can locate the serial number stamped in the frame usually on the top of the frame near the counterweight. As far as one wheel not turning, check the parking brake linkage to see if that side is not releasing.

Thanks. Unfortunately there is no floor plate so I'll have to see if I can find the serial # in the other places mentioned.

It was left with the brakes on so I suspect the parking brake linkage is seized, as suggested.

We have a 6000 lb. Hyster. Slightly different model and probably a bit older. On ours the model no. is stamped on the floor near the throttle pedal. Look carefully because there may be several layers of paint covering it...

Are you sure it is not a YT40? Looking at the fan opening on the right side-it should have the east-west Hercules in it? Plate should be up on the inside of the cowl, probably under 20 coats of paint? Don't take my word for this as it has been 40 years since I saw one of those.

If the machine has been sitting with the parking brake on it is likely that the brake shoes have rusted to the drum. You can work the brake backing plate over with a hammer from under the lift and usually get the shoes to come loose with no damage. Worth a try.

Forklift

He has either a Hyster YE-40 or HE-50, (with the continental engine). The YT-40 was powered by a Wisconsin air cooled engine. With that side mounted radiator, I could never get used to the 90 degree fan gearbox chattering all of the time.

Worked on more of those than I care to remember.

Mtnwelder

Finally got thru the paint.

It looks like it's a YE40 ser# A3D6558J with a flathead engine and the a fore mentioned 90 deg fan setup.

Called the local Hyster dealer and he didn't sound too confident that he could find parts or a manual.

I'll see what I can do with it tomorrow. Here's an inside shot.

mvtva290.jpg

Thanks for the replies.

Parts for your Hyster forklift

Don't pay too much attention to the Hyster parts guy if he tells you parts are not available. They may not be from Hyster anymore, but there are many other avenues. Remember, Hyster purchased a lot of parts from outside suppliers. If you need brake parts, your wheel cylinders, etc., will match up with ones usually from a 1 1/2 ton truck. Hyster used a lot of International truck components, from their old green diamond flat head engines to rear ends.

If your cylinders are leaking, any good fluid power distributor can match up the packing and o-rings. Mast bearings are off the shelf items, too.

Engine parts should be easy to find. There are too many Lincoln welders out there running with the Continental 162/163 engines. You also have Hyster's Monotrol transmission. As far as I am concerned, that is one of the best automatics you could purchase in the era of your machine.

I just remembered a couple of parts distributors. Check out Arrowforklift.com, Systems Material Handling, out of Olathe, KS, and forkliftsparts.com

Mtnwelder

I have one of these clean little YE40 one owners as well. The ID plate on mine was below the dash on the righthand side. If found it sitting outside for years with stuff piled on and all around it. I changed the oil, rebuilt the propane regulator and put a new battery in it.....the darn thing fired right up. After putting new tires and replacing the mast seal I have been using it. The forklifts of the 50's & 60's are pretty darn cool.....built like s**t brick houses, used and abused, but still keep running. This Bud's for you Mr. Forklift.

I'm looking for the little 90 degree gearbox that the cooling fan mounts to. Mine sounds like a cement mixer....either the bearings or gears are bad. Anyone have any ideas ??

Attachments

• Hyster-ab.jpg
    Hyster-ab.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 6,802
After a lot of pounding and cussing got the wheel off. The brake linings look OK but the cylinders are full of rust and need rebuilding.

Looks like the mouses had a field day on the wiring so that's gotta go.
Found several manuals but they are in the $75-80 range. Trying to find one online.

This is supposedly a one speed machine with a foot shift for forward - reverse? How does that work?

Thanks for all the help so far. I may document the repair if there is any interest.

Congratulations.....it's NOT the wis-con engine! :rolleyes5:
The 3 wheel design makes for a highly maneuverable unit.

I have a little H20E, 1966.
The fan drive gearbox is long gone, someone replaced
it with an electric fan. Fan runs at moderate speed when ignition is on.
Seems to keep the Y112 cool and not at all noisy.
I wouldn't tolerate much grief from the gearbox, or spent time on fixing it...now-a-days there are 12V automotive fans on ebay or at the auto wreckers for cheap.

Your brake issues should be fairly easy to fix, mine needed a master cylinder....which is stuffed down inside....somewhere.....I forget now, but recall it was a PITA to get to.

Your efforts to document the repair project will not go unappreciated.
Note: LOTS of pictures are a must. ;)

dk

dkmc - thanks for the reply. I have thought about the electric fan angle. Just thought if I could find a replacement that would be great. Got a picture of yours ???

KIMFAB - I have a S50D Hyster as well.....same motor with the Monotrol foot control foward/reverse petal. They are great once you get used to them....for some reason they never really caught on. The YE40 I have has the forward and reverse lever on the column it is a little slower to use. The wiring on both mine is toast so making a new one is a good idea.

Throw some pics up of your progress. Kind of a self help group for old forklift owners.

A few random pics. The flatbed truck driver was suprised at how heavy the S50D was. I think it is something like ~ 6500lbs....good old American steel of the 50's and 60's.

Hyster-S50D.jpg

Hyster-Ad-a.jpg

Hyster-Ad.jpg

Finally got the manual and am ready to do battle with the unit.

hystera400.jpg

After looking in the thermostat mount it looks like the cooling system is full of garbage. I may even have to boil the head.

hystera405.jpg

The starter area is also full of crud confirming my suspicions that the engine and trans needs to come out and be checked.

hystera407.jpg

Popped the head, doesn't look too bad but the unit was supposedly rebuilt before storage and it looks like a quickie job.

It appears that there was a slight head gasket leak forming by the number 2 intake. This could explain the low compression in two.

hystera410.jpg

Got the engine ready to pull, found out there were no bolts in the motor mounts, more evidence of a quickie job.

Now for the question: I was going to split the unit at the blue arrow but the manual says do it at the green arrow.
Is there a reason for this or just a preference?

hystera416.jpg

Still having problems getting some of the stuff off like the valve body.

The starter area is also full of crud confirming my suspicions that the engine and trans needs to come out and be checked.
Now, is this the first forklift you've acquired?
And/ or are you under 30 years old?

You're really tearin into that unit!
Was there specific reasons to take off the head??
Did you run it before you took it apart?

Reason I ask, and I can't remember personally what I would have done in my younger years, but I suspect you are
looking for an excuse to -pull the engine- :eek:
I think at my age now (52) I would be looking for lots of reasons to NOT pull the engine OR split the trans off it unless it was a dire necessity.
When I was younger....perhaps, just to satisfy my curiosity and ensure a superior job. Now-a-days, I'd be pressure washin the starter area reeeal good, and call it OK. But you did find missing bolts.....
I now being a bit older and less enthusiastic, tend to address the essentials and let things unbroken remain so until if and when they change states on their own. Hours can wrack up just the same. I think back at the many hours I have spent doing non-essential 'behind-the scenes' stuff that will never matter, and sometimes I cringe.

NOT TO DETER YOU!
Keep up the good work, I'm sure you'll end up a pristine classic given your approach to details!
:cheers:

EDIT:
Wait, wait.....I checked your profile.
Retired.
That explains it, hobby project.
You will have fun and enjoyment with this!

Back