Newer Forklift, Dangerous "Safety" Devices - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just a new to me Toyota, damm thing will not go down unless the motor is running...just hate that in a one man shop...Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Winterfalke View Post
    So I've spent thousands of hours on a forklift, I've never had one with an obvious inching function. I have driven several that had a third petal that would lock the brakes and disengage the drivetrain (but not take it out of gear) so you could rev the engine to power the mast hydraulics, is that a different function or is it supposed to be the same petal but badly out of adjustment? I know the Toyota truck worked very nicely that way, and was supposedly maintained by a Toyota factory technician. One of the three at the watercraft dealership that worked that way had the idle turned down so far it would stall because the techs were using that petal as a brake petal, and the truck would jerk badly when it was engaged otherwise. It was much more of an "on or off" feel than a gradual pressure like a normal brake or clutch petal.

And I have driven one or two trucks with that threw it out of gear when the brake was applied, it was quite annoying and I do agree it made the truck less usable.
    Don't know about the newer ones but on older Hysters you could disconnect the linkage between the brakes and transmission or even adjust it so loose it never pushes the lever on the tranny.

My guess as to why you've never driven one with an inching function is that either they weren't equipped with that option or they weren't adjusted properly. If you lift the floor board(s) you will see the linkage if so equipped. In order to work properly the brake adjustment (including parking brake) must be good and the inching engagement must be properly adjusted which is a somewhat time consuming proceedure many service techs don't bother to do properly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Montana View Post
    I just a new to me Toyota, damm thing will not go down unless the motor is running...just hate that in a one man shop...Phil
    This is what happens when lawyers get involved with design. The trend is to overdo safety to prevent lawsuits. The results are annoying for adult users.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I rented a new Genie scissor lift a few times a few years ago. Most things I needed to do were outside what it considered safe so it wouldn't let me. After spending $500 in rental fees I said fuck that POS and bought a nice one a few years older with much less safety bullshit for $2500. The one I bought will shut me down if I'm legitimately going to tip it over or trying to lift way too much, I can appreciate that. Too much safety junk is asinine though.