What's new
What's new

Nissan H20 rear main seal alternative?

Not seeing one commonly available... if you have the tools at your disposal I'm sure you could make one with little trouble. Find a seal with the proper ID and them making something to hold it and a way to bolt that holder to the motor.

Not that I am a fan of the old rope seals but they did work quite well when installed properly considering the technology.

I think that making a modern lip seal work for your application would be more problematic than you realize.

It would require machining the block to have any chance of success. Too much effort for what you would gain.

Most of these engines went from rope seals to a palm seal around the crank flywheel flange........remember the rope seals were asbestos,a great material because it didnt cut shafts.......any kind of plastic lip seal will surely cut the shaft.........this is why most engines now have a seal and wear ring combined...................if a rope seal leaks,there is a good chance the rear main is worn excessively.

I think Ox maybe had a thread about converting an engine to a lip seal by machining the OD of the flywheel flange. I can't seem to find it.

Engines with a lip seal generally have a much wider flange on the crank...... ,a flywheel housing will need to be cut away to take the seal housing,or modified to have a integral seal mounting.....the 3208 caterpillar is like this.........but it means the seal must be mounted after the housing is installed and carefully aligned.IIRC,the Dodge SV 6 had a rear lip seal in two halves secured to the block with screws.......Mack used a lead wire in a groove as a seal for many years.

Nissan H20 engine. Is there an alternative for the rope rear main seal?

Keep adding oil? Sorry, couldn't resist.

I've rebuilt many an engine with rope seals. The best thing to do is to pack as much rope into the groove as you can. carefully use a punch to keep pushing it in the top groove, then pack into the main bearing cap, but make sure it doesn't get between the cap & block or you'll have a knock.

Good luck,
Ted

Back