O/T Another towing questions - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Miranda View Post
    I wondered what would be the "enforcement criteria". Ok, well, I will assume the door sticker.

Before I had my "new" truck lettered a cpl of years ago, I stopped at the scales just outside of Jackson, Mich on 94 and asked a MDOT occifer if I should have my GVWR posted as well?

My reasoning is that when 99% of the trucks cross the scales, they ass_u_me 80K, but hot-shots are kind'a all over the board.
    AND - many of the single axle box trucks doo have 26K listed on the side of their box as well. (26,001 is the other side of the line. No point registering for 25.9)

He told me that they go by the tag on the plates, and he points to my 14K sticker.

He was busy giving a big rig the once over during this time, yet I asked him again how they would see that from the scale house while I'm driving 15 mph over the scales.

Again he repeats "We go off the tag on the plates."

Not quite sure if he didn't understand the question, or if I'm just being dense, I asked again, and he repeated exactly the same, and then I got it......

You take from that response what you will.
    I did not get my GVWR plastered on the side of my truck, but my truck and trailer combo would be tagged for 35 or 36K.

22:

I like your "over rate" thought process.
    Kind'a how I design stuff that I build....
    Are those grease or oil lubed wheel bearings?

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Miranda View Post
    Honestly, most of what I will be using this for is hauling our Ford 9n from my house to my son's and back again. But I do want to be able to pick up the occasional machine so I don't want to put "farm" plates on it.
    Why not put 'Farm' plates on it? Don't a lot of farms have their own shop with machines for repairing their farm machines ? Mine sure does. A farm cannot send every tractor, combine, baler, etc off to the closest Farm machinery retailer/repair facility. If a machine breaks, it has to be fixed if at all possible that day, even a half day lost when a crop HAS to get out of the fields an into a truck or to a dryer, or wherever, the lost crops to a delay followed by bad weather can cost millions..
    Even if you are hauling a Lathe, Mill, or ?, how is a police officer going to know if you are or are not taking the machine home to your farm ?

DualValve

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A 9N? That needs an enclosed trailer or someone might chase you down and give you another one.

4. Likes Ox, Joe Miranda, bryan_machine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DualValve View Post
    Why not put 'Farm' plates on it? Don't a lot of farms have their own shop with machines for repairing their farm machines ? Mine sure does. A farm cannot send every tractor, combine, baler, etc off to the closest Farm machinery retailer/repair facility. If a machine breaks, it has to be fixed if at all possible that day, even a half day lost when a crop HAS to get out of the fields an into a truck or to a dryer, or wherever, the lost crops to a delay followed by bad weather can cost millions..
    Even if you are hauling a Lathe, Mill, or ?, how is a police officer going to know if you are or are not taking the machine home to your farm ?

DualValve
    Yes, you can get by with a lot but it is all a matter of interpretation. Get the wrong officer on the wrong day and you can end up with a large stack of paper and fines.

If you have a legitimate reason for the farm plate such as owning a farm and have an active part in it and you have a reasonable justification for the cargo's purpose, then you will be okay.

Notice that there are a lot of ifs and buts.

It would be difficult to justify hauling a new machining center to repair my IHC M and hay baler.

Bottom line is that most of this revolves around tax revenues for the state and not rendering to Caesar what Caesar considers his is asking for trouble.

Hauling a Bridegport will raise fewer eyebrows than if you are hauling a late model 5 axis machining center.

6. Likes Joe Miranda liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Before I had my "new" truck lettered a cpl of years ago, I stopped at the scales just outside of Jackson, Mich on 94 and asked a MDOT occifer if I should have my GVWR posted as well?

My reasoning is that when 99% of the trucks cross the scales, they ass_u_me 80K, but hot-shots are kind'a all over the board.
    AND - many of the single axle box trucks doo have 26K listed on the side of their box as well. (26,001 is the other side of the line. No point registering for 25.9)

He told me that they go by the tag on the plates, and he points to my 14K sticker.

He was busy giving a big rig the once over during this time, yet I asked him again how they would see that from the scale house while I'm driving 15 mph over the scales.

Not quite sure if he didn't understand the question, or if I'm just being dense, I asked again, and he repeated exactly the same, and then I got it......

You take from that response what you will.
    I did not get my GVWR plastered on the side of my truck, but my truck and trailer combo would be tagged for 35 or 36K.

22:

I like your "over rate" thought process.
    Kind'a how I design stuff that I build....
    Are those grease or oil lubed wheel bearings?

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Ox
    They are oil lubed. The trailer was built by (Trailer Man trailers)in Louisiana Mo. I ordered it with two feet over the standard 20' and axles 12,000lb instead of the standard 10,000. Spring assist an the three full width ramps. $10,500 price tag. Also paid more for the lower deck. The cross beams go through the frame. Painful but I'm not spending time working on it all the time like my old beat up trailer.
    https://s.amsu.ng/6LJ3W3Dz2OJN

Joe Miranda
    Honestly, most of what I will be using this for is hauling our Ford 9n from my house to my son's and back again. But I do want to be able to pick up the occasional machine so I don't want to put "farm" plates on it.
    Joe. you should be fine. I understand not wanting to go the farm plate route. Limited area would prevent machine moves that arent close. Ox asked about my axles and I hijacked your thread. Sorry
    Be careful if brushogging with the 9n those live pto's are killers

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for all the responses guys. Ok, so OX, what do you think the inspection officer was saying? That they go off of what the vehicle is registered at? That's what I always figured - hence the reasoning behind me registering my truck for 13,500. I doubt I would ever put 2,000lbs of payload in it but one never knows.

Yes, I am not really a "farmer" - as in - we're not making much (any) money at this. Or maybe that is the definition of a farmer.

Anyhow, yes, if we're hauling machines we will likely use them to fix old equipment on the "farm", but mostly it is for our "for profit" machining business. And besides, we may want to exceed the 100 mile radius farm limit.

OX, so you have a CDL and ODOT number?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, we have DOT numbers, and I doo have a CDL these days, but that is onbly needed when I hook the trailer on of course, and Mamma doesn't tow.
    Actually Mamma doesn't drive the truck much anymore, but she put the bulk of the miles on my '99 truck!

"What doo I think that he was telling me?"

I take it to mean that as far as the DOT is concerned, you are legal for whatever you are plated for.*
    I also took it to mean that they prolly weren't all that likely to get out and see what I'm tagged for as I roll through in the first place?
    I took it to mean that they really weren't all that concerned about my weight situation in the first place?

From my experience, just having the DOT number on the door tells them that you are at least somewhat law abiding and that they have already gotten your nickle.
    I have only been pulled over once since we got the DOT number (15 years) not that I haul nearly like I used to, but....

However - I did git pulled over in St. Louis <10 yrs ago for no good reason, he just saw an out of state hot shot rig and thought that I was easy pickin's for no CDL, but I had snow machines under the tarp headed for Colorado, and CDL was not required and he told me to have a good day.

* In case of an accident, if you were over the max GVWR registered by the manufacturer, then they may have a case in civil court?
    But I read his responce like they got your $ for the tag, and you are OK as far as targeted fines.
    Maybe I read him wrong?

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

10. Likes Joe Miranda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I understand most if not all states send a windshield sticker along with the tags that indicates the weight class so an officer can see approximately what your registered weight is from the front of the vehicle. That may be what he meant by "tag on the plates" .I'm currently running towing plates (which don't come with a weight sticker) on a vehicle that was previously registered as apportioned, but I still left the class number sticker on the windshield to avoid closer inspection.

Ewseley is spot on on just about everything he posted, and he's currently doing it IRL. I think there are differences about a few things in IL vs other states but they are few. It seems most vehicle stops are about seeing that you've paid your fees, unless you are doing something that's clearly endangering someone or waving a red flag.

My state (and fed regs as I have understood them) allow any weight trailer w/o any CDL when the combined CGWs are under 26,001. 10K truck and 16K trailer are OK w/o CDL. When the truck or truck and trailer combined are 26,001 or more you need a CDL - Class B for truck only or truck with trailer no more than 10,000, and then Class A if the trailer is over 10,000.

About BAC and CDLs, I understand here in PA the BAC is .04 for any vehicle if you hold a CDL, not just for comm. vehicles. Don't know about all other states.

Most trucking regs seem to be enforced in a worst case interpretation, loopholes and gray areas get interpreted as the most costly situation rather than the least costly when the ticket gets written.

12. Likes Ox, mllud22, Joe Miranda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know about any windshield stickers.
    Will Moroso suffice?

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

14. Likes Joe Miranda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    I don't know about any windshield stickers.
    Will Moroso suffice?

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    If you don't have a Mr Gasket sticker.

16. Likes Joe Miranda liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The law dont go on paper record anymore.......plate recognition and likely facial too from your digitized license pic........all he needs to know is on his screen soon as you come to the line for the scales or whatever....or even as you drive by.Enforcement is pretty standard everywhere too.....not the rules,the attitude.If you dont wear a badge and a uniform,you are the enemy.

Woodland Hills, Ca. and some times Hutchinson, Ks.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I agree with John K,

Most can't say ALL scales in the US have plate readers, weight in motion and, sizing of trucks before they ever get to the scale house.

The idea that a very infrequent use would compel someone to get DOT number and jump through hoops requires a bit of reflection. The tractors are your personal property and as such are not commercial, the moving of a machine or two could be done with a rental truck when needed. Having a DOT number is not a single one time thing, it is an on going compliance and record keeping chore.

Many states have an endorsement to tow a personal trailer over 10K that precludes CDL, you only need a CDL IF your are in commerce. Campers and RV's are personal, so are trucks that take show trucks, tractors, old engines ect. to events. In looking at the Ohio regs I found this, State of Ohio BMV

Joe, your primary use doesn't really fit a commercial app. If moving machinery or products for your business IS a regular part of use then yes you should get numbers and a CDL.

I have a CDL and USDOT numbers and, I also have a truck that is used personally with a regular license plate. In that truck towing any trailer I don't stop at scales. It is not in commerce and honestly the weight stations don't want you in there. Here is a pic of the truck, I just towed the trailer shown from Columbus to Hutch last week.

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190406_094904.jpg  

19. Likes Joe Miranda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't move machinery as a regular part of our business - only occasional use. Over the past 10 years I have probably moved six machines. Is that "regular commerce" - I sure don't know.

I don't buy and sell as the main part of our business but I do buy and sell.