What's new
What's new

Old clark forklift identification

gimp73

Plastic
First off I wanted to say Hi, I am new here.
I picked up an old clark forklift lift with a continental flat 6cyl (f6209). I would like to figure out a year range and model. From what I can tell it is probably 50s or older. I noticed they changed to square tubing in the 60s and had round tubing for the cages before that. I also need to figure out what transmission is in it. I will try to post pictures but don't know if can because this is my first post.
Thanks.

If its that old,it will have a manual trans with one stick for F&R and one stick for HI/LO,and a dry clutch just like a 1950s truck....Have a look under the steer end ...is the steer axle mounted on short leaf springs ...sprunnions.....then its seriously old .....fork without power steering aint much fun....but usable .

Yes, manual with 2 sticks f/r and high/low. I am not sure about leaf springs. I will look tomorrow. As soon as I and can post pictures I will.
Thanks for the replies.

i was using my cell phone, i got on my computer and now i can post pictures.

Attachments

• 20210915_193231.jpg
    20210915_193231.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 20210915_193247.jpg
    20210915_193247.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 20210914_170853.jpg
    20210914_170853.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 46
Its either a TrucLoader or a CarLoader.....WW2 to mid 50s.....if youre going to collect Clarks,you will need a PlaneLoader...these have 20" pneumatics ,duals at front,mounted on spiders,and are much sought after by re-enactors.

If its that old,it will have a manual trans with one stick for F&R and one stick for HI/LO,and a dry clutch just like a 1950s truck....Have a look under the steer end ...is the steer axle mounted on short leaf springs ...sprunnions.....then its seriously old .....fork without power steering aint much fun....but usable .

it does have leaf springs under the steer end.20210917_094632.jpg20210917_094603.jpg

Assuming you are building a collection of 50s Clarks ,the little Car Loader is your next acquisition..... these have counterweights along the sides ,often missing ...so be sure to get the counterweights as well.....Ive been looking for a PlaneLoader for years....Ive seen bits,never a complete machine.

Assuming you are building a collection of 50s Clarks ,the little Car Loader is your next acquisition..... these have counterweights along the sides ,often missing ...so be sure to get the counterweights as well.....Ive been looking for a PlaneLoader for years....Ive seen bits,never a complete machine.

I am not going to collect old Clark's, I found this one and got a really good deal on it so I couldn't pass it up. It does have a good motor but needs a lot of work. The first things I need to do is figure out the transmission. When you let the clutch out you can hear the gears grinding like it's not fully engaging. If I hold the lever forward then it stays in gear and works.

It will just have excessive wear....all the worn parts can be built up with weld ,and the little fork will be happy again.....Although ,you very often see the Clarks lying around robbed of the mast for fitting to a tractor,so another for scrap price would be a good investment.

You mentioned that if it had leaf springs then it would be seriously old. Do you know when they stopped using the leaf springs?

Gimp73,
Did you identify your Forklift? I inherited one that looks similar from my recently passed father. The left mast has a 9-7-49 date stamped on it and 4OL 41L AOL on the right side mast. There is no namplate. The side weights have the outlines of 4000 with a US outline overtop. It was yellow but painted blue. It ran 15yrs ago and has been parked since. Trying to determine the model so I can find individuals who may want it. Motor is not frozen.

Attachments

• 20240213_084012.jpg
    20240213_084012.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
Hi, Having worked for a Clark Dealership for 40. yrs....that is a UT60 Utilitruc should be a 6000 # Cap. the ser# should be stamped on the right top flat plate beside the lift and tilt handles which starts with the model , then the year and the lot #. If u post that I have a ser# catalog I can double check!

Unfortunately there are no characters stamp there. If it was a bolted on plate, it has been removed. Any other locations you'd suggest i look if a Utilitruc or Carloader?

Attachments

• 20240302_130157.jpg
    20240302_130157.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
Bigais says its a Utilitruc.....thats what it is .......probably got the same mechanicals anyway ........During WW2 ,Clark made a neat little dozer with the same gearbox as the forks

Back