Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Old clark forklift identification

First off I wanted to say Hi, I am new here.
    I picked up an old clark forklift lift with a continental flat 6cyl (f6209). I would like to figure out a year range and model. From what I can tell it is probably 50s or older. I noticed they changed to square tubing in the 60s and had round tubing for the cages before that. I also need to figure out what transmission is in it. I will try to post pictures but don't know if can because this is my first post.
    Thanks.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How do I add pictures to my post? I didn't see an option to add pictures.
    Thanks

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Go to the advance option. You probably have the same Clarke we have

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If its that old,it will have a manual trans with one stick for F&R and one stick for HI/LO,and a dry clutch just like a 1950s truck....Have a look under the steer end ...is the steer axle mounted on short leaf springs ...sprunnions.....then its seriously old .....fork without power steering aint much fun....but usable .

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, manual with 2 sticks f/r and high/low. I am not sure about leaf springs. I will look tomorrow. As soon as I and can post pictures I will.
    Thanks for the replies.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i was using my cell phone, i got on my computer and now i can post pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210914_170853.jpg   20210915_193247.jpg   20210915_193231.jpg  

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Its either a TrucLoader or a CarLoader.....WW2 to mid 50s.....if youre going to collect Clarks,you will need a PlaneLoader...these have 20" pneumatics ,duals at front,mounted on spiders,and are much sought after by re-enactors.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    If its that old,it will have a manual trans with one stick for F&R and one stick for HI/LO,and a dry clutch just like a 1950s truck....Have a look under the steer end ...is the steer axle mounted on short leaf springs ...sprunnions.....then its seriously old .....fork without power steering aint much fun....but usable .
    it does have leaf springs under the steer end.20210917_094632.jpg20210917_094603.jpg

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Assuming you are building a collection of 50s Clarks ,the little Car Loader is your next acquisition..... these have counterweights along the sides ,often missing ...so be sure to get the counterweights as well.....Ive been looking for a PlaneLoader for years....Ive seen bits,never a complete machine.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Assuming you are building a collection of 50s Clarks ,the little Car Loader is your next acquisition..... these have counterweights along the sides ,often missing ...so be sure to get the counterweights as well.....Ive been looking for a PlaneLoader for years....Ive seen bits,never a complete machine.
    I am not going to collect old Clark's, I found this one and got a really good deal on it so I couldn't pass it up. It does have a good motor but needs a lot of work. The first things I need to do is figure out the transmission. When you let the clutch out you can hear the gears grinding like it's not fully engaging. If I hold the lever forward then it stays in gear and works.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It will just have excessive wear....all the worn parts can be built up with weld ,and the little fork will be happy again.....Although ,you very often see the Clarks lying around robbed of the mast for fitting to a tractor,so another for scrap price would be a good investment.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You mentioned that if it had leaf springs then it would be seriously old. Do you know when they stopped using the leaf springs?