What's new
What's new

Old Hyster Challenger 80 Forklift motor ID help...

klandrith

Plastic
So, I've found an old Hyster "Challenger 80" forklift that has a transverse mounted flathead four cylinder. I can't seem to find an example of an 8000lb Hyster that looks like this one, most seem to have a continental six mounted longitudinally. It certainly doesn't look like one of the continental F series 4 cylinders from what I can see. The head casting looks different and the distributor is driven off of the front timing cover and not on top of the head. I've attached some photos that I took of the engine. It has zero compression in cylinder #3 and I'm trying to decide if I want to get it, but I need to find a supply for spare parts in case its not just a stuck valve. Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

hyster1.jpghyster2.jpghyster3.jpghyster4.jpg

What year model is it? I did some looking around online and it looks like you have a Hurcules. Judging by the casting number on the cylinder head it's a 1B. I'm just guessing, though. I do know that "00B" and "00A" are Hurcules model numbers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Also, Chris-Craft used to use the Hurcules model B in their smaller boats... 'cause of that, there is SOME info online about rebuilding them.

Model B rebuild questions - Boat Buzz

Might be better off swapping it for a little diesel or LPG 4 banger.

OR LS swap it. I mean, I prefer Ford, but you can get an LS swap kit for pretty much anything. [emoji16]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Year mid 50s,and not a Challenger ,IMHO..My first forklift was one of them.......the little Hercules wasnt too bad,the weak part was a sort of gear train in a case down to the tranny proper.......In mine,I mounted a car motor(Holden 6) above the counterweight ,and drove down to a tranny connect point with long Vbelts.....looked stupid,but it worked back in the day (1967) when even the wartime Clarks were gold,as was any forklift,at all........

Year mid 50s,and not a Challenger ,IMHO..My first forklift was one of them.......the little Hercules wasnt too bad,the weak part was a sort of gear train in a case down to the tranny proper.......In mine,I mounted a car motor(Holden 6) above the counterweight ,and drove down to a tranny connect point with long Vbelts.....looked stupid,but it worked back in the day (1967) when even the wartime Clarks were gold,as was any forklift,at all........
So I got it right? It was Hurcules?

I think the model is an IXB 4.....or might be a JXB 4.....Hercules made more crap motors than anyone else in the history of IC...they made millions and millions and lots of quality truck makers used them....Continental motors were 100 times better ,but I suppose they must have cost a lot more too.....Fancy a truck with a 900cu/ in Hercules flathead that gets 2 mpg?..Federal 606..

I think the model is an IXB 4.....or might be a JXB 4.....Hercules made more crap motors than anyone else in the history of IC...they made millions and millions and lots of quality truck makers used them....Continental motors were 100 times better ,but I suppose they must have cost a lot more too.....Fancy a truck with a 900cu/ in Hercules flathead that gets 2 mpg?..Federal 606..
A 900Ci flathead? Didnt even know they made such a thing. Makes sense, tho. If you're into engines, look up the Ford GAA. DOHC Aluminum head 1100 cubic inch V8 gas engine IN THE 1940S! from a (Sherman?) tank. Theres a guy on the web that put one in a 70's Mustang.... I don't think they're popping wheelies in that rig. LOL.

I haven't seen the car in the picture in person, but just look at it! I hear a bald eagle screech and picture The Flag flying every time I see picture of it.gaa3502.jpg

Hey, thanks for all the replies guys. Yah, the current owner and I were thinking a Hercules of some sort. I can't seem to find any parts for the older motors like this one, so I guess its a pass. Thanks again for the help.

Hey, thanks for all the replies guys. Yah, the current owner and I were thinking a Hercules of some sort. I can't seem to find any parts for the older motors like this one, so I guess its a pass. Thanks again for the help.
That's what I'd do - pass on it. No need messing with an odd-ball engine on your forklift if you want to make money with it. IF you ended up with it, I'd suggest swapping for a "tried and true" engine. Something reliable and with good parts availability.

Sent by telegraph using - .- .--. .- - .- .-.. -.-

Sounds like its got one stuck exhaust valve ....easily fixed,and if careful ,the head gasket will be reusable......the IXB motors were fitted to several tractors,and Ive no doubt parts could be found without too much trouble................I know a guy restoring a HXB Hercules in a USAF C2 Wrecker ,from a rusty lump of iron left with the heads off.(885cu in flathead 6)......you can see another Hercules in the Lombard crawler videos on PM.....a YXC2 flathead 6.

Back