What's new
What's new

Older Clark Forklift, need info & help

ttman4

Plastic
Hello everyone, been a while since I been on here & posted.
Recently acquired an older Clark forklift, tag gone. Finally found a big stamped serial number above the step on the rt side mainframe (setting in the seat facing forward)

Near as I can make out the number is Y685 595 2153. Anyone know how to decipher this #?

Dual 7.00-15 drive tires, 7.00-12 steer tires
6 cyl flathead gas engine with the distributor coming out of the head.
Put new starter on & found out it has a wet/oil clutch.

Clutch not working, peddle just lays down on floorplate. Under the floorplate on the left side the clutch peddle is attached to a master cyl. (that leaks). The brake peddle works a master cyl on rt side. Both of these master cyls are plumbed into some kind of "thinggie" in the middle that has a couple of bleeders. This in turn plumbs to the wheels/brakes I assume. Also plumbed to a lever on the dash that is a park brake, I also assume.

There are 2 levers on left side up the steering column. One says FWD, REV. Other lever says CREEPER, Hi,LO. These are very sloppy, hard to make work, & need work on.

I need to service this fork & trying to find info. What oils go where, etc, etc. Any info would greatly appreciated!

I'll try to help. The Clark ser#. book says Lot#2153 is a C(H)Y-60-70-80 and is a
1970 to 1971 Series and can be a 6,7 or 8000# capacity, Depending on the first numbers on the plate, which you dont have.By your Description I think it is the Std. 2 sp. Hydratork Transmission which had a left pedal clutch/brake and a right brake only pedal.You have a brake leak somewhere in the system that needs corrected before you really know what works and doesnt work. It has inboard (at differential) disc brakes that can take a little patience to get to and possible need repairs.That will get you started and I am sure you have more questions than answers at this time.Good Luck,I will check if I have any ser. manuals left for that series? Bigais

Thanks Bigais. I will be watching etc.
The engine runs great and the machine drives and lifts great. Just need to ck lots stuff out in next few days. Want to service every thing soon as I can. Need find out what oil goes where and other things.
Would like to find book or service manual if I can.

Just a few things you can work on awhile. The Hyd. system used a spec MS68 hyd. oil back then. And any Good engine oil today should do OK. the trans axle should use type A tranny fluid. there should be a dip stick out on the front top of the axle that fills both the transmission and the differential.Other than that,grease fittings and air filters are what they are.

Just a few things you can work on awhile. The Hyd. system used a spec MS68 hyd. oil back then. And any Good engine oil today should do OK. the trans axle should use type A tranny fluid. there should be a dip stick out on the front top of the axle that fills both the transmission and the differential.Other than that,grease fittings and air filters are what they are.

Bigais, Thanks. Yes there is a dipstick/fill tube on the top of the axle. That explains why I couldn't find a fill or ck place for the tran.
The "spec MS68 hyd. oil back then." you mentioned, you mean like ISO 68 Hyd oil? (ISO 32, 46, 68) Or does that mean something else? I usually use ISO 68 Hyd oil in my old Ford backhoe, seems to not leak so much.

Previously you mentioned : (my Sn# Y685 595 2153)
"I'll try to help. The Clark ser#. book says Lot#2153 is a C(H)Y-60-70-80 and is a
1970 to 1971 Series and can be a 6,7 or 8000# capacity,"

The Y in my # I assume means something about "YARD" model? What does C(H)Y mean?

I have a Towmotor 760P forklift rated at 8000# that I pretty well went thru last yr. I finally found a service manual for it covering 760P,860P, & 960P that really helped me. Had to read & reread thru it & things finally started falling into place. This Clark, size wise, is bigger, but I would guess is rated 6-7 & maybe even 8000#

I been poking round on the net last few wks & kind'a have found some info, but not much & am not familiar with Clark. Actually found most of some info here on Practical Machinist Forum.

Thanks again for your replies! Gives me more info than I had.
And TIA to anyone else that has any info!
ttman4

The "C" Just stands for Clarklift, The "H" is for Hydracool Clutch which is a standard trans with an oil cooled clutch and the "Y" is a Yardlift designating Air
or pneumatic tires. MS 68 is the designation for hydraulic oil with anti foaming agents and a few other additives which I forget at my 84 yr, age?

Back