What's new
What's new

Operating Advice - Clearr Stand-up, Propane Forklift - Namco May be Similar

Nemesis

Aluminum
Looking for some operating advice/feedback on propane stand-up forklifts. I just bought a Clearr LSU-30 forklift which looks similar to a Namco. Now that I have finished fully servicing it, fixing the brake pedal, battery tie-down, etc. I have been using it. This thing is awesome to have around, but the mechanics of driving it feel a little off so I was hoping to hear from others. The Clearr has a dead man brake on the left side and an accelerator peddle on the right as seen here:

Clearr - Original Listing - 06.jpg

The brakes are fully engaged when there is no weight on the peddle and the peddle is in the air. When you stand on the brake peddle/platform it releases the master cylinder and brakes allowing the forklift to roll extremely easily. Because of the fact that you put your entire foot on this large peddle and stand on it, I don't feel like it was intended to be used as a brake during maneuvering, only as a parking brake. But maybe I am wrong on that assumption.

The gas peddle is designed for you to stand on as well rocking your foot forward to speed up the engine. There is very little movement from idle to wide open.

The forklift is 100% hydrostatic with forward and reverse simply being a hydraulic lever in the dash. Now where the weirdness comes in is that every other hydrostatic that I own provides resistance to rolling when not being driven forward or reverse. This forklift does not. When in the neutral position the forklift is allowed to fully free wheel. It starts rolling if you breathe too hard.

My question is whether or not this is how other forklifts like this operate? Because of the way the brake is set up, I don't believe you use it as a brake. This means that I have been slowing it down on slopes or when I am moving forward by reversing the hydrostat. Because of how easily this one rolls, maneuvering in tight places is pretty touchy as you are playing with the hydrostat back and forth in forward and reverse to keep it in one spot or make fine movements. If I try to use the brake as an actual brake that is also awkward because you are trying to rock back with your right foot to slow the engine down while at the same time lifting your left foot in the air.

Again, just looking for other's experiences. Do I just have a learning curve here or could something be up in the hydraulic valve that is not slowing/holding motion when the hydrostat lever is in the neutral position? This one did have a side shift added after the fact which means they added another node onto the hydraulic valve body. Not sure if something with that installation could have caused it. Thank you for your help!

One other question. As I mentioned there is very little difference in the accelerator peddle to go from idle to wide open throttle. Is the standard practice on these to just stand on the accelerator at wide open when using it or do you try to use the gas peddle more like a car?

One other question. As I mentioned there is very little difference in the accelerator peddle to go from idle to wide open throttle. Is the standard practice on these to just stand on the accelerator at wide open when using it or do you try to use the gas peddle more like a car?

The Namco is similar. Dead man brake on left. "Speeder" pedal on right (increases speed hydraulically, not engine RPM).
While I agree, this is an awkward arrangement at first. You get used to it.
My Namco hardly ever comes off idle. Even moving my Graziano SAG12 around (significantly above the lifts rated capacity), the operation is performed at idle.
The Namco is rated @ 1900lbs max. The Graz weighs 3300lbs. It will lift it at idle (with a little grunting). And easily shuffle it around.
The Namco does have a throttle on the FWD/REV lever. Push the lever sideways to increase engine speed.
I will use this occasionally if I am going all the way around the outside of the shop. And to just flow the juices in the engine, LOL.
But, I hardly ever touch the speeder pedal. Occasionally I will depress it just to move fluid through the circuit.
Nothing "happens" fast on a Namco. But it happens soo smoothly you cant help but be efficient.

wheelieking71, thank you for the response. The Onan in my Clearr must have a little less oomph to her. Although it will move around at idle and operate the lift, tilt, and side-shift at idle, if you need to climb over the lip coming into the shop, need to lift anything with any weight to it, or if you hit the end of any of the strokes it will kill the engine. I am tempted to increase the idle a little and back wide open down quite a bit. Standing on the gas really gets it screaming.

One question, does the Namco free wheel when not driving it forward or backward or does it somewhat hold its position? Trying to figure out if something is off in the valves allowing it to freewheel or if that is the way it was intended to work.

Thank you for your help!

Back