What's new
What's new

OT: How much do you think this stakebed weighs?

Spud

Diamond
Do not know name of manufacturer the stakebed.

ford-f550-pic-2.jpg

F550-stakebed-pic.jpg

The Maxon liftgate is around 650 lbs weight, according to the Maxon website. It has a capacity of 1600lbs.

Looking at the Knapheide stakebeds for F350/F550 , it is around 1000 - 1170 lbs.
Stake Bed Trucks

Last edited:
Well, my crew cab,1 ton dually, Cummins, Dodge, 4wd, with SS/wood deck flatbed crosses the scale at 9K empty.

This could top 11K?

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Well, my crew cab,1 ton dually, Cummins, Dodge, 4wd, with SS/wood deck flatbed crosses the scale at 9K empty.

This could top 11K?

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Is yours a 12 foot bed?

The GCVW of the F550 chassis-cab is 19,500

Enterprise said their information was saying the truck weighs 7500 lbs, which is surely just for the bare chassis-cab . Badger Truck Group in Illinois, who are an upfitter for Ford Chassis Cabs, said a new F550 crew-cab dually diesel chassis-cab weighs 7800 lbs.

I am very surprised that and F550 can weigh less than my Silverado 2500HD crew-cab diesel , which tips the scale at 8,040 lbs empty.

Mine is a "dually" which started life as a "pick-up".
So it had an 8' box on it originally. (sets out in the yard)

My flat bed actually has 9's deck tho.
I made it as long as possible with regard to the hitch location.

So this truck in your pic has a bit longer frame and bed.
I doubt that the bed is any heavier than mine per foot tho.
Mine is built heavy to accept a goose ball well and also has ramps slid in from the back.

But your truck might have a bit heavier frame/springs/axles.

Again - my guess is prox 11K.

I guess with that said - my 9K has an empty bed, but the back seat would have a cpl chains, likely one or two binders with cheat pipe, and more 2" straps than Carter had those little liver pills. That is a "ready for work" weight, not stripper. (Maybe even a 5 gal bucket of 4" straps?)

FWIW:
A Dually and a Cab'n'chassis are not necessarily the same thing.
I think that with a Dodge, they may be the same width, but the frame may or may not be the same.
Comparing to my chums C&C, but his is newer.

I can say for sure that Chevy C&C's have been narrow tracking than their dually's for decades.
What's the point in getting dual rear wheels is you don't git training wheels? (wider track for stability)

I am not sure what Ford does in regards to this.

The truck in your pic actually looks like the cab may be longer too, which yet again adds weight.
I just don't see it being anywhere near what they are telling you.
Unless maybe it is a 2wd with small block gas motor?* But even then? :skep:

* I guess you said Enterprise, so I'm guessing that it likely is 2wd gasser?
But still, my truck is a 12,200#, compared to 19,500?
I sure it weighs up !!!

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Attachments

• DSCN1620.jpg
    DSCN1620.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 79
Mine is a "dually" which started life as a "pick-up".
So it had an 8' box on it originally. (sets out in the yard)

My flat bed actually has 9's deck tho.
I made it as long as possible with regard to the hitch location.

So this truck in your pic has a bit longer frame and bed.
I doubt that the bed is any heavier than mine per foot tho.
Mine is built heavy to accept a goose ball well and also has ramps slid in from the back.

But your truck might have a bit heavier frame/springs/axles.

Again - my guess is prox 11K.

I guess with that said - my 9K has an empty bed, but the back seat would have a cpl chains, likely one or two binders with cheat pipe, and more 2" straps than Carter had those little liver pills. That is a "ready for work" weight, not stripper. (Maybe even a 5 gal bucket of 4" straps?)

FWIW:
A Dually and a Cab'n'chassis are not necessarily the same thing.
I think that with a Dodge, they may be the same width, but the frame may or may not be the same.
Comparing to my chums C&C, but his is newer.

I can say for sure that Chevy C&C's have been narrow tracking than their dually's for decades.
What's the point in getting dual rear wheels is you don't git training wheels? (wider track for stability)

I am not sure what Ford does in regards to this.

The truck in your pic actually looks like the cab may be longer too, which yet again adds weight.
I just don't see it being anywhere near what they are telling you.
Unless maybe it is a 2wd with small block gas motor?* But even then? :skep:

* I guess you said Enterprise, so I'm guessing that it likely is 2wd gasser?
But still, my truck is a 12,200#, compared to 19,500?
I sure it weighs up !!!

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

The Enterprise truck in the pics is a 2020 F550 4X4 diesel, with a Maxon 1600 lb liftgate. It has power windows, locks & mirrors. Can't recall if it had power driver's seat, but it was a well optioned truck.

The Enterprise agent looked up the weight of the truck on the computer and said it was 7,500 lbs . Badger Truck in Illinois says it is 7,800 , without the stake bed and liftgate.

So I figure the payload capacity should be 9,500 lbs - 10,000 lbs ?

Here is a 2 foot Stake Bed from United Rentals with a claimed payload of 12,660 lbs. They say it is rated to 19,500 lbs, which I presume must be the GCVW. It is a Ford F550 diesel, but United couldn't tell me if it is a single-cab or crew-cab , 4x4 or 2wd.

Just a moment...

Drive to a scrap yard and have it weighed.

Right, but I have to rent it to do that. Should have done it last time I rented. I weighed my Silverado at a business that sells rocks, granite, gravel etc..

Anyone here hauled 10,000 lbs in a F550 flatbed or stakebed ? I have no plans to haul anything that heavy , but curious if it is fine to do so.

Are you lookin' to buy this?

"Can you haul 10K?"
I am sure that you "can" - especially if you load it fwd.

"Will it scale?"
I wouldn't count on it.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I have a f450 with an 8x12 flatbed, it weighs about 8900 empty, gvw is 16000. I have had about 7k on the bed at one time. It still drove fine but was sluggish and I took corners real slow. If the truck is rated to haul it, I wouldn't have an issue.

Are you lookin' to buy this?

"Can you haul 10K?"
I am sure that you "can" - especially if you load it fwd.

"Will it scale?"
I wouldn't count on it.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Nope not gona buy it, but in the future might look for a used F550.

Well Shirley someone here will pipe up eventually that has a 550 similar to this that can get you honest weights.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Is yours a 12 foot bed?

The GCVW of the F550 chassis-cab is 19,500

Enterprise said their information was saying the truck weighs 7500 lbs, which is surely just for the bare chassis-cab . Badger Truck Group in Illinois, who are an upfitter for Ford Chassis Cabs, said a new F550 crew-cab dually diesel chassis-cab weighs 7800 lbs.

I am very surprised that and F550 can weigh less than my Silverado 2500HD crew-cab diesel , which tips the scale at 8,040 lbs empty.

-----------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

"Will it scale?"
I wouldn't count on it.
Had a customer who did a okay business because of that .... maybe heard of Mitchell Gear Splitter ? He sold a bunch to gyppo truckers that used duallies and overloaded trailers so they didn't have to stop at the scales. If'n a guy was planning to haul more than he should, that's one approach.

Last edited:
Yeah.

Now - with that said, my chum (with the Dodge C&C - with dump truck bed) took it out to Salt Lake to fetch 4 forktruck batts this spring.
Him and another drove out tag team in a day cab truck! (we make that trip frequently in my crew cab, but a day cab?)

I think that these batts were about 2000# each?
LTL wanted $2500 I think? He's WAY too cheap for that!
He knew the truck wouldn't scale, but he just took his chances and either the scales weren't open, or they didn't chase him down.

I don't normally hit the scales with my truck alone.
By rights you normally should (usually they say "all trucks, or sometime just over 5 ton empty, or ...) but any time that I had been - they just give you a :skep: look.
But the next time you could git pinched for drivin' on past, so ... ???

------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Attachments

• DSCN2416.jpg
    DSCN2416.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 150
Daydreaming about what fits on the bed of a medium duty truck seems kinda odd no?

I will put between 10k and 16K lbs on my trailer deck depending on what kind of stuff I'm hauling and go down the road just peachy in my old single rear wheel Superduty.

Anything more than that and I can get a semi with a wetkit, hydraulic trailer w/winch and a real good driver and a 2 million dollar blanket insurance policy for less than renting any wimpy medium duty truck would cost me for a day.

Only time a medium duty truck makes any sense to me is when you have a fixed, constant load like a service bed W/tanks, a crane, a calcium/beet juice tank, an armored truck, etc.

Medium duty trucks kinda suck. They don't have air suspension, they ride like shit and don't have air seats. Brakes are stupid expensive and they change designs every few years- Speaking of which- Friend has a not very much english speaking customer that runs a 2015ish Topkick as a chip truck. The front hubs are one year deal. Obsolete. About every 6 months I get to re-sleeve the outboard bearing bores in both hubs. I've done each side like 5 times.

That's the kind of stupid crap you get with medium duty trucks. They are a mix of pickup parts and "This looks like it might work".

Class 8 trucks are very standardized. Wear parts like brakes, bearings, seals, hubs, U-joints, etc are crazy dirt cheap for how big they are.

Daydreaming about what fits on the bed of a medium duty truck seems kinda odd no?

I will put between 10k and 16K lbs on my trailer deck depending on what kind of stuff I'm hauling and go down the road just peachy in my old single rear wheel Superduty.

Anything more than that and I can get a semi with a wetkit, hydraulic trailer w/winch and a real good driver and a 2 million dollar blanket insurance policy for less than renting any wimpy medium duty truck would cost me for a day.

Only time a medium duty truck makes any sense to me is when you have a fixed, constant load like a service bed W/tanks, a crane, a calcium/beet juice tank, an armored truck, etc.

Medium duty trucks kinda suck. They don't have air suspension, they ride like shit and don't have air seats. Brakes are stupid expensive and they change designs every few years- Speaking of which- Friend has a not very much english speaking customer that runs a 2015ish Topkick as a chip truck. The front hubs are one year deal. Obsolete. About every 6 months I get to re-sleeve the outboard bearing bores in both hubs. I've done each side like 5 times.

That's the kind of stupid crap you get with medium duty trucks. They are a mix of pickup parts and "This looks like it might work".

Class 8 trucks are very standardized. Wear parts like brakes, bearings, seals, hubs, U-joints, etc are crazy dirt cheap for how big they are.

Just wondering what is the max a flatbed HD pickup can carry, cause I've outgrown my 2500HD and I do not like towing a trailer. Trailering is such a pain in the ass, when you turn down wrong streets or need to park somewhere to take a nap on a long drive. So I try to avoid pulling a trailer.

...he just took his chances and either the scales weren't open, or they didn't chase him down.
How do they determine what's a pickup ? Most of the scales in California have signs, "No Pickups" cuz I guess they got tired of innocent bystanders wasting their time.

Is a pickup with a different bed not a pickup anymore ?

I am very surprised that and F550 can weigh less than my Silverado 2500HD crew-cab diesel , which tips the scale at 8,040 lbs empty.[/QUOTE]

Ford's website states their 550 chassis cab, crew cab, diesel, 4x4 trucks with extended frames weigh in at 8343. I imagine the super duty's aluminum body's are fairly light compared to other brands' steel bodies. But it still has two more wheels, bigger brakes, and more frame to make up for the weight savings.

Back