What's new
What's new

OT -- ID of factory/warehouse 'scooter'

Chip Chester

Diamond
I have an electric front-drive stand-up 3-wheel 'personal transporter' I'm trying to ID. It's like a maintenance guy would use in a large factory/warehouse. According to a Cushman fan group (that used to be on Yahoo, now moved to groups.io), it's not a Cushman, Westinghouse, or Nordco. It's about 24" x 48", with a fiberglass body about 18" high. 60's or 70's vibe to it. Maybe 80's if it was used hard. Curved front. Automotive 12V battery sits in a lidded compartment between your feet and the T-handle steering, with keylock, and low speed plus high speed pushbuttons. Round footpedal brake on the floor, with a little parking brake lever integrated there. Rear wheels (un-powered) have little close-fitting fenders. Wheels are hand-dolly size -- 4.10/3.50 wheels, with spiffy chrome hubcaps for the back.

The only markings on it anywhere are on the brake pedal, where it has a logo: ECDA within a diamond.

One of the ex-Yahoo participants suggested "Jiffy Jet", but no joy there on Google, with the exception of modern listings or windshield-washer pouches for Mopars.

So if any of you still with me thus far have seen one of these, or know what it is, please chime in. It seems I cannot function in society as we know it without this information. Or something like that. Pics below..

View attachment 293608

IMG_9837.jpg

IMG_9850.JPG

IMG_9852.jpg

IMG_9849.jpg

Thanks in advance for any insights!
Chip

Last edited:
That is a cool looking ride! I recognize the logo on the pedal, it's ECOA, Equipment Company Of America. A quick search revealed that they were bought out by Prestolift a few years ago. Didn't find anything on vintage ECOA equipment though.

Update: got curious and did a little more digging. They were called Mars Cars. ECOA trademarked that name in 1977. From there, the information gets real muddy. More than one company seems to be using both, "Equipment Company Of America", and, "Mars Cars" labels.

Good luck,
Ted

The local particle board plant had many of these type of scooters, all shop made... it would hit 30 mph....OSHA had a cow now the millwrights have ride bikes...Phil

These transporters nearly all have a GE 60v DC motor ,and use 5x traction batteries.Small ones are 24V with two batteries ......I used to service and repair them ,parts for the GE motors were exorbitant......A brush holder plate ,for instance was $500+,and just a round bit of micarta board .....I used to make them from a more heat resistant white board .....Brushes cost a fortune too,and could be substituted cheaply.......I reckon the Chinese are making the whole motor now for $49.95.,instead of GE s $2000+.

Back