What's new
What's new

OT-Marine Salvage and Heavy Rigging

Ok, now you are into salvaging???:eek:

Lol, It's hard to take a good video and move machines at the same time, I tried with the L&S, didn't work all that well.

Farley Mowat's "Grey Seas Under" was a strong influence, so yes I'm into salvage, but it's a purely theoretical interest. :D

Those dry docks are a bit bigger than the ones I visit. I hear mine cost a thousand dollars an hour to have a boat on.

I would hate to think what a big sea going dock would cost. If I needed to keep something afloat for an hour I would be broke for the rest of my life. :eek:

Those dry docks are a bit bigger than the ones I visit. I hear mine cost a thousand dollars an hour to have a boat on.

I would hate to think what a big sea going dock would cost. If I needed to keep something afloat for an hour I would be broke for the rest of my life. :eek:

That expense probably pales in comparison to the cost of having that floating dock re-floated.....:eek::willy_nilly:

If you liked The Grey Seas Under there is a second book by Mowat to look for "The Serpent's Coil: An Incredible Story of Hurricane-Battered ships the Heroic Men Who Fought to Save Them (1961) ISBN 0-738-71577-8 "
Another writer you might enjoy is Cmdr. Edward Ellsberg. My two favorites of his are "
On the Bottom. (New York: Dodd, Mead, and Company, 1929) and Under the Red Sea Sun. (New York: Dodd, Mead, and Company, 1946) "
Edit: Just started watching the dry-dock (re)floating. "Under the Red Sea Sun" describes an operation very similar to this with a twist, an unexploded mine in the base structure needed to be removed first.

Last edited:
What a timewaster. I spent 3 hours gazing open mouthed at marine salvage videos 'til my teeth dried. It's like I was a classic sidewalk superintendent.

I though I was hot stuff working on ships that were right side up. Makes a difference where they're grounded, sideways, or sunk. Not me. I only do right side up.

I sent links to my roughneck nephew the millwright who lives every work day like The World's Toughest Fixes. He makes Sean Riley look like a weenie and he loves big toys. Wait til he sees those 8" shackels

If you liked The Grey Seas Under there is a second book by Mowat to look for "The Serpent's Coil: An Incredible Story of Hurricane-Battered ships the Heroic Men Who Fought to Save Them (1961) ISBN 0-738-71577-8 "
Another writer you might enjoy is Cmdr. Edward Ellsberg. My two favorites of his are "
On the Bottom. (New York: Dodd, Mead, and Company, 1929) and Under the Red Sea Sun. (New York: Dodd, Mead, and Company, 1946) "
Edit: Just started watching the dry-dock (re)floating. "Under the Red Sea Sun" describes an operation very similar to this with a twist, an unexploded mine in the base structure needed to be removed first.

I have read The Serpent's Coil, but since I read Grey Seas Under first, I used it as my example. I enjoyed reading both immensely.

Mowat's The Boat that Wouldn't Float is an absolute riot, I've read it many times over and it never gets old.

Wait til he sees those 8" shackels

For a while my Dad worked offshore, he was on the record breaking rig that drilled the deepest hole in the deepest amount of water(turned out to be a dry hole). I believe the drill string weighted 2 million pounds (it was right at the absolute capacity of the rig), I think they lost 5 BHAs on that job (only about 5 million a pop...).

The cable used by the rig was made specially in England and after set amount of lifts, they unrolled it all and chopped it up for scrap. It was so big that a 5k lb forklift was used to move sections that were a few feet long.

They also only used clevis, or shackles if you prefer, for about a mouth. Then they chopped the old ones up and replaced them. There was nothing wrong with them, they just had 'green' paint and this is a 'blue' month, so they had to go.

My Dad asked the welder that was scrapping stuff if he could save some, welder said sure. Dad grabbed a few handfuls and stuffed them in his bag, his bag was so heavy with clevises that the bag got it's own seat on the helicopter.

The largest clevis probably weights 20lbs and you need a hammer to drive clip in the pin out, it's almost too big to be of any use to us.

The ammount of waste and stuff that gets scraped offshore is absolutely mind blowing.

The amount of waste and stuff that gets scraped offshore is absolutely mind blowing.

It's all in the name of safety and liability now days!

I deal with down hole completion and service equipment for the oilfield. Totally unreal what we have to provide to prove our equipment is safe and sound! Before it can go offshore! In the Gulf of Mexico!

Back