OT?: Moving household and shop, ramp or lift gate truck - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

+3 with Steve and Bob, likely others, on using a ramp for the household stuff. Just make sure it's in good shape before you and the truck leave the lot. Longer is better, assuming you have room at either end of the move to use it, which may mean renting a somewhat larger box truck. Ask about bed height and ramp length in search of a gentler incline.

A right-sized dolly such that you can jam it sideways as an e-stop if a load going downhill on a ramp starts getting out of control can be useful. This assumes a ramp with just a bit of sidewall, which you want.

As others have said, lift gates are often either gutless or poorly maintained. For moving the shop, a lot depends upon how heavy your major tools are. Home shop sized tools (say under 1200 pounds) can be move pretty easily with a pickup truck and various assists (winches, engine hoist, hydraulic lift table, etc.),

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My lathe at 1750 pounds is the only real heavy machine. I plan to load that by itself with an engine crane in bed of pickup. Same way I brought it home. Other stuff like my tablesaw is under 700 pounds so not a big deal onto a low trailer.
    So sounds like a ramp is the way to go for household goods.