What's new
What's new

ot---OSHA and crane fines

JHOLLAND1

Titanium
an associate operates a mobile crane service
he was video taped by competitor operating 30 ton truck crane in what may have been un-safe fashion
tape was supplied to enforcement agency---fines so far $22K excluding legal fees
he has a clean record--no reportable events

a single question he failed to answer was a $10K hit---identification of all cable conductors by voltage and legal stand off of boom/mast/jib

OSHA released new rules --crane operation--Nov 2018

Attachments

• 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 335
For that kind of money ,I would appeal and challenge their penalty on multiple grounds.Lot of these OHS guys make up their own rules as they go along ,and wilt under cross examination in court.

That's in Kilovolts? That chart seems pretty common sense like if it is.

I'll happily stay 45 feet from 1000 kilovolts. Thank you very much.

Is he owner operator? If so why does he answer to osha?

OHS guys are cunning,they get the operator to sign an agreement to the penalty by using the threat to double the fine if there is any objection or legal challenge.....I would guarantee each OHS inspector has a monthly quota of fines to hand out,same as traffic cops hit list.Say $50k a month ,into state consolidated revenue.

That's in Kilovolts? That chart seems pretty common sense like if it is.

I'll happily stay 45 feet from 1000 kilovolts. Thank you very much.

Is he owner operator? If so why does he answer to osha?

Maybe if he is working on a jobsite with other people (steeel workers, etc.)

45' away?

Anybody even think about that?

The high wire transmission wires all accrost the continent aren't that high off the ground other than over a ravine.

We sled the high wire lines regularly, and at times we get pretty close. (uncomfortably close)
Nobody's got zapped yet.

I'm guessing that the distance issue is more inline with making sure than in a tip-over condition - that you don't take out the power grid.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

crane accidents assure intense media coverage
OSHA clearance distances from energized (or not) conductors are reasonable and prudent--

when the respondent--operator--failed to identify overhead conductors by nominal voltage and did not know required clearance--his defence was bad memory consequence of old age--

I suspect this response dropped the jaws of his interrogators--this process is far from over--

two additional categories of hoisting personnel are noted--

qualified rigger--an individual skilled in rigging crane and attachments for a
specific lift---qualified riggers are exempt from certification--

ground signal person---this individual must be certificated thru oral/written and practical examinations---
in the circumstance of this current case--the operators assistant-ground man
did not possess required certificates

45' away?

Anybody even think about that?

The high wire transmission wires all accrost the continent aren't that high off the ground other than over a ravine.

We sled the high wire lines regularly, and at times we get pretty close. (uncomfortably close)
Nobody's got zapped yet.

I'm guessing that the distance issue is more inline with making sure than in a tip-over condition - that you don't take out the power grid.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I think the transmission lines you are sledding under are not over 800 thousand volts. And truly high voltage lines are in fact that high, a regular pole is what 30 feet or something.

I think you are correct that it has to do with tipover

Not that I am pretending to know what V these run, but are these not expected to be high V?
I do't know their arc distance, but the insulators Shirley aren't more than 6' long to the tower.

I'm guessing that no line should be expected to ever arc further than the hanging insulator is long eh?
Otherwise it would be arcing to the tower regularly.

???

You can end up feeling pretty close to the wires when there is a peak halfway between towers - like this pic.
I have seen some places where there is "Low Hanging Wires" signs on top of the hills.

Not sure how you would ever find yourself on top of that hill and not know that there were low hanging hydro wires there, but ....
Well, I guess in the groomer at night - you wouldn't see or hear the wires.

53048090_2289763321076364_4646828604779397120_o.jpg

--------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Not that I am pretending to know what V these run, but are these not expected to be high V?
I do't know their arc distance, but the insulators Shirley aren't more than 6' long to the tower.

I'm guessing that no line should be expected to ever arc further than the hanging insulator is long eh?
Otherwise it would be arcing to the tower regularly.

???

You can end up feeling pretty close to the wires when there is a peak halfway between towers - like this pic.
I have seen some places where there is "Low Hanging Wires" signs on top of the hills.
Not sure how you would ever find yourself on top of that hill and not know that there were low hanging hydro wires there, but ....

53048090_2289763321076364_4646828604779397120_o.jpg

--------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I looked it up
There is a list of voltages and heights

How bad does business have to be for a competitor to spend time video taping you waiting for something to send to OSHA?

I had a contractor try to pull this cr@p on me some years ago, I was taking the "at risk" youth up in boomlift without safety harnesses. Once OSHA found out I was not a contractor, and not working for compensation, they let it go. I still want to know who the prick was:mad5:

Quite possibly a union/non-union issue?

These issues can get quite heated at times.

-------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

How bad does business have to be for a competitor to spend time video taping you waiting for something to send to OSHA?

I had a contractor try to pull this cr@p on me some years ago, I was taking the "at risk" youth up in boomlift without safety harnesses. Once OSHA found out I was not a contractor, and not working for compensation, they let it go. I still want to know who the prick was:mad5:

What were you doing, trying to reduce the "at risk" population? They were certainly "at risk" with you. Could result in "reckless endangerment" charge in many jurisdictions.

What were you doing, trying to reduce the "at risk" population? They were certainly "at risk" with you. Could result in "reckless endangerment" charge in many jurisdictions.

Technically I should not have even been there, but I was trying to be a good neighbor. The county employee who was supposed to supervise them dropped them off with my neighbor and said "sorry, I got a new job at the mine, you take them, good luck". She called me and asked for help. The job for the day was scraping peeling paint off an old building front, once the kids were up to about the 10' level on ladders, I became a little concerned for their safety. I brought boomlift over and started taking them up 1 at a time for 20 minutes or so each, building was about 25' tall, did not require extending boom. I gave them quick lessons on how to operate one too (just boom controls, not driving), but with my foot on deadman switch. I do not consider that height any more dangerous than a ladder.

The "concerned citizen" called and sent video to building inspector, sheriff, state contractors board and OSHA. It was a PIA to deal with, no fines.

I just wunna go on record for likeing that one 2wice.

Piss on the concerned citizen!
Those people are NOT helping the world go round!

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Gustafson is dead right about being recorded......anywhere ,anytime,you are on camera,and could end up with official intervention.....And as for the dummies who record themselves and put it online......how stupid could anyone be?....Ok millenials ,says it all.

Back