ot---OSHA and crane fines - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So does OSHA have a program that incentivizes snitching, or is it just sop in the contracting trade to drive around on slow days video taping your competitor, hoping to get them fined out of business?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My guess is there has been seriously bad blood between the snitch and the contractor. The snitch is probably in or headed to bankruptcy, and wanted to make as many others as possible miserable. Once the word gets out, who is going to want snitch on his job site?

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know this kind of thing and worse is standard in the crane industry here.....A big company would send a salesman to spy and record breaches of a competitor....small company ,would send an operator without any work .....Cranes are big money spinners if you can get long term work.This attracts all kind of criminal groups who can use their "skills" to intimidate competitors..

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tdmidget View Post
    What were you doing, trying to reduce the "at risk" population? They were certainly "at risk" with you. Could result in "reckless endangerment" charge in many jurisdictions.
    Depends on where you attach the harness.....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I see construction going on major highways, they always have those orange hangers from them. They must be like 80 feet away directly under them.

Around here in south NJ they are replacing the large transfer towers with single pole towers. They must put the crane in between the phase wires. Are they just mega insulated?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Years ago I worked a bit with John Serafin......first thing he would do after unloading a big excavator on site was pull down any adjacent powerlines ....when the linesmen turned up to fix it,he would demand a temporary closure.....if they put the lines back in the same place,he would pull them down again as soon as they were gone......One time I set him up a steam boiler on the back of a crane to run a pile hammer.....wasnt high tech ,and the safety valve blew off all the time.....He says to me..."Stem,Stem ,all time stem.....too muchy stem".....Wernt no narcs with cameras then...

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
    When I see construction going on major highways, they always have those orange hangers from them. They must be like 80 feet away directly under them.

Around here in south NJ they are replacing the large transfer towers with single pole towers. They must put the crane in between the phase wires. Are they just mega insulated?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Don't know about NJ/US, but over here, the circuits would be isolated and visibl shorting cables would be attached between the wires and the metal of the pylons close to the site.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rand View Post
    Don't know about NJ/US, but over here, the circuits would be isolated and visibl shorting cables would be attached between the wires and the metal of the pylons close to the site.
    "Grounds" is the term we use for the temp shorting cables.

But I think Bondo is referring to something else, something that props up energized circuits.

Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Gustafson is dead right about being recorded......anywhere ,anytime,you are on camera,and could end up with official intervention.....And as for the dummies who record themselves and put it online......how stupid could anyone be?....Ok millenials ,says it all.

Slight topic drift but......I watched a Youtube video where a guy stretched a frame on a truck. Said it was too costly to have the frame shop do it, saved some money. He also said (ON the video) he knows 'yer not supposed to weld on the truck frames' but when he's done and the body's on no one will know. Yeesh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Ok millenials ,says it all.
    Your generation raised them, boomer.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah,but they never listened to what they were told.

12. Likes Mark Rand liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dkmc View Post
    Slight topic drift but......I watched a Youtube video where a guy stretched a frame on a truck. Said it was too costly to have the frame shop do it, saved some money. He also said (ON the video) he knows 'yer not supposed to weld on the truck frames' but when he's done and the body's on no one will know. Yeesh.
    Eh. The chassis builders all put the "do not weld" stickers on the frame rail to cover their ass. But it gets done all the time with no issue.

I'd wager half the spread axle trailers in the US have had cracks welded in the frames.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The variety and cost of penalties will increase as a direct measure of the indebtedness of the state and the desperation of elected governments to find more funds to buy votes off no hopers.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    45' away?

Anybody even think about that?

The high wire transmission wires all accrost the continent aren't that high off the ground other than over a ravine.

We sled the high wire lines regularly, and at times we get pretty close. (uncomfortably close)
    Nobody's got zapped yet.

I'm guessing that the distance issue is more inline with making sure than in a tip-over condition - that you don't take out the power grid.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    True, a good rule of thumb is to look at the insulators and see how long they are, and then add a comfortable distance to that. Current won't arc longer that the insulators are though, the power company has made sure of that.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ewlsey View Post
    Eh. The chassis builders all put the "do not weld" stickers on the frame rail to cover their ass. But it gets done all the time with no issue.

I'd wager half the spread axle trailers in the US have had cracks welded in the frames.
    True, and the "frame shops" don't have some special permit to be able to weld of frames. Anybody can do it, but you are liable if it breaks, and the DOT man may have something to say if he doesn't like the looks of it. We've shortened and lengthened many trucks, and when we are done, you have to look pretty hard to find the cut.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I say post the name of the rat company. I've seen my competition do some really crazy stuff, and I've even went so far as to say something to them (hate to see anybody get hurt), but I'd never think of ratting them out. It's just bad business.

On one hand, I'd be tempted to go to their jobs and do a little videoing myself, but on the other, you don't really want to get into a "tit for tat" war with said contractor and it escalate.

18. Likes Garwood liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They both probably bid the job for sure and the one is mad because he bid to do it the right way...
    So how am I supposed to know what the voltage of a line is, typically 2800 volts behind the house at the very top, then 13,200 and then 100,000... but how do you know ?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

That's why you don't put the name of your company on the crane stick....

Put "Sunblet Rentals" on the stick....

Also keeps you from getting sued from the obvious....