What's new
What's new

OT: Is a Westin 80-TBS200-60-BD a decent tool box? Is the company one to buy from?

lazz

Stainless
Im in need of tool boxes for a truck and like the look of a Westin 80-TBS200-60-BD. The drawers could eliminate the collection of coffee cans I usually use in the WeatherGuard side boxes.

I have never seen them anywhere other than the internet.
The Amazon reviews for this box are few and done by unhappy folks. The Amazon listing shows the serial number for a box with drawers and a picture of a box with doors.

So I contacted Westin via their contact page

I asked where close to Phoenix Az can I see one of these boxes in person...
Also which of their dealers were pleasant to do business with...
I did mention the names of the 2 dealers I wasted an afternoon with and nothing else.

Yeah the second question was asked in anger after visiting 2 dealers and wasting 3ish hours to hear
From the first dealer "they will be about $700 each"... no mention of shipping or tax
The second dealer said "for $90 or $100 I can get the box shipped from San Jose for you to see if you want it"

So after 3 days and no reply I get the feeling Westinautomotive isnt going to reply... Which brings up the question is the this the kind of company to give money to? Am I being unreasonable to want to see something in person before I spent $1400 or $1500

Does anyone have any experiences with this brand and style of boxes?

I know Westin, the company. They seem to buy up automotive product lines that can be made super cheap from sheetmetal or die castings and powdercoated. Most everything made in China or India and maybe assembled here.

I bought a product line they wanted, but couldn't buy for liability reasons and it was interesting seeing how they did business.

They just sell cheap crap made by low bidder.

I know Westin, the company. They seem to buy up automotive product lines that can be made super cheap from sheetmetal or die castings and powdercoated. Most everything made in China or India and maybe assembled here.

I bought a product line they wanted, but couldn't buy for liability reasons and it was interesting seeing how they did business.

They just sell cheap crap made by low bidder.

Thank you for the reply...
I see Weatherguard boxes with coffee cans in my future.

I see you modeling what you want and having someone here fab them for you.....

This would be a great idea.... If anyone would like to start a new product line I would be interested.

I could use 2 aluminum boxes 60" wide, more than 20" and less than 24" tall and somewhere around 12" deep. 2 drawers in the bottom 1/3 and 2 doors that lift up for the top of the cabinet... aluminum diamond plate would be acceptable.

Is it possible for someone to build and ship a couple of these boxes to 85029 for $1500 or less?

This would be a great idea.... If anyone would like to start a new product line I would be interested.

I could use 2 aluminum boxes 60" wide, more than 20" and less than 24" tall and somewhere around 12" deep. 2 drawers in the bottom 1/3 and 2 doors that lift up for the top of the cabinet... aluminum diamond plate would be acceptable.

Is it possible for someone to build and ship a couple of these boxes to 85029 for $1500 or less?

Might be if you doo the design work, and submit .dxf files of the flat patterns, the bent up dimensioned drawings, as well as the assembly drawings.

Or....You could buy some .090 alum diamond plate and just MIG weld what you want, not as sleek and sexy, but much better than "coffee cans" eh ?

Realistically, probably not.

If you want to build 1000 of them you are going to the head of the line, but a one-off custom job is going to be time and materials unless you find a retired guy with a very well equipped home shop feeling generous. That's pretty doubtful though.

Back