What's new
What's new

Pallet jack seals

lucifuge1973

Plastic
Hey y'all. I picked up a Liftrite (formally Big Joe?) pallet jack on Kijiji for free. It needs new seals. I've found the kits on line but i already have several seal kits and sets from other repairs (mostly commercial plumbing repairs). before I take it apart can anyone tell me if the seal kits that I would recieve are anything different then any normal o ring type seal that any plumbing hardware store would have in stock? Just seems silly to have to have to pay 70 dollars for 5 3 cent o rings I already have. Thanks so much for taking the time to read my question and any help would be appreciated.
PS I've already contacted Liftrite and asked the parts people. It seems they don't want me to be fixing my own jack ..without ordering the kit from them lmao.
Cheers from Canada ...eh? lol

those kits will often have more than just O-rings, like valve bearings, springs, plastic bushings, etc.

From my experience, the rings that fail will have visible problems like being split or smashed, so I'd be more concerned with an O-ring failing because it wasn't the right kind of rubber for high-pressure, then if it was .0001" too small around.

If the pallet jack is already dead, go for it. If it fails again, lesson learned, go for the proper kit.

Side story: rebuilding pallet jacks is a sore topic for me. A few years back, I bought a couple kits for some of our pallet jacks and delegated the job to a co-worker. 1/2 day later he's done, but there's an open kit with clean parts inside and the pallet jack still has issues. I asked him and he gets the deer-in-headlights look, "I don't remember if I replaced all that stuff..." so that was one hemorrhoid. I tell him forget about it, we've got other jobs to get done, I'll figure it out later. Well a month or so later that pallet jack has disappeared and someone says they saw him help his scrapper buddy haul it off. I ask him and there's 'the look' again, "OH! I thought you said we were just going to scrap it cause it didn't work?" ....
No... we were going to scrap an entirely different cheapo pallet jack that we couldn't get a kit for.....
He doesn't work for us anymore, but I still have those hemorrhoids, so my opinion is probably skewed.

If ya just want to replace the piston seal, take the ram out, remove the piston seal and go to a hydraulic shop and have them match up the seal. 99% of them are standard piston seals. Last one I replaced was $6.00. Of course this is assuming its the seal that is bad. Takes about an hour to do the whole thing.

Back