What's new
What's new

Piggyback pallets

Cannonmn

Stainless
I want to increase the storage capacity of the warehouse floor space in use for loaded pallets. I already have as many pallet racks as feasible on the walls and don’t want more. I thought I should fasten 2x4’s to bottom of one pallet so it would stand on corners of a lower pallet. Anyone done this? Have suggestions/photos? I have a bunch of 2x4, 40 in. long, left over from another project and would like to find a way to make the upper pallet that would stand on the lower so a pallet jack under bottom one would move both.

Last edited:
I had some surplus pallets made like that in metal, there were 2x2 stake pockets in the pallets, 4 legs would go in the lower pallet, each leg had a 3" round cup on the top that would mate with a bump on the bottom of the next pallet, they were very sturdy and easy to use, I would imagine you can still get them, I would be afraid of a wood version.

I had some surplus pallets made like that in metal, there were 2x2 stake pockets in the pallets, 4 legs would go in the lower pallet, each leg had a 3" round cup on the top that would mate with a bump on the bottom of the next pallet, they were very sturdy and easy to use, I would imagine you can still get them, I would be afraid of a wood version.

Looks like they're called post pallets?

post pallets - Google Search

Never seen these before, learned something today, thanks!

Kevin

I have successfully stacked 240,000 lbs of product into 1400 pound Gaylords on 40x42 pallets and stacked the gaylords 3 high with shrink wrap on the lower two.

Stacking 4 high did not work as well however.

Scaffolding components are delivered and stored on site in four legged stackable frames that can be stacked as many high as were stable .....nothing more than four tube posts,with four bearers joining the posts....and four conical sockets for feet and to pilot the frame into the one underneath......Easily able to be stacked by a crane without anyone to guide the sockets in.

I have successfully stacked 240,000 lbs of product into 1400 pound Gaylords on 40x42 pallets and stacked the gaylords 3 high with shrink wrap on the lower two.

Stacking 4 high did not work as well however.

worthless.gif

------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

worthless.gif

------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

If I have any they're on a broken phone. You could probably see the shit from space when it happened.

I was propositioned to clear out a 60k sq ft warehouse in 2 days. 3 good friends and I did it with pickups and trailers. I had an empty 36x36x16 pole building at the time. We filled that solid the first day. The second day filled most of my (big)driveway. It was mostly electric motors that we scrapped.

Very common in auto manufacturing where there are returnable steel racks that stack with pin and pocket design up to ? high but it can get 20ft high in places. Usually limited by the counterbalance capability of a 5k forklit.

I would not trust the wood post to be moment bearing (Welded steel frame, yes). Something like 1-1/2" x 11ga with good solid welds would hold a lot of weight in my estimation.

Back