What's new
What's new

Pintle hitch ok towing with typical SUV ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Have used pintle hitch trailers, towing with Ram 3500 diesel dually, and had no issues at all...nearly as smooth as ball connection. But with typical 7K tow capacity SUV and obviously softer suspension than a one ton truck, there I wonder if there might be too much clanging around ?

Have used pintle hitch trailers, towing with Ram 3500 diesel dually, and had no issues at all...nearly as smooth as ball connection. But with typical 7K capacity SUV and obviously softer suspension than a one ton truck, there I wonder if there might be too much clanging around ?

Wasn't an issue with a measly quarter-ton M-151 "Ford Jeep", trailer empty or loaded to triple the Jeep's mass, laterite roads or off-road. So no, I'd not give it a second thought.

So long as all players are of reliable quality, it is a safer and stronger system with more tolerance for extreme excursion (still stays coupled, even if trailer has gone clear upside-down!) than a ball, anyway.

If the "clanging" was a serious issue, lunette or pintle would show extreme wear. Mostly, they show near-zero wear, relative to their tolerance for it.

Back