What's new
What's new

placing MAZAK SQT 18 MS into shipping container

madmachinst

Stainless
Heading says it all. I need to move that machine into a 20 ft shipping container. Got a crane lined up to unload the machine in the container at my property, but the seller says he needs to consult with his riggers to see if the machine can be placed into the container. He said that usually he uses an open top container so he can move the machines into the container with a hoist. Machine 64" wide and container as you all know is 92.125" wide inside. He says he can't just use a 5 ton forklift to move it in there. How do we go about this guys? I need a temp place to store the machine while I am finishing up the workshop. Once machine goes in there won't be much space for maneuvering much other than my body and raw material.

How about a telehandler? Remove the fork assy and use it as a crane to poke it in there. I have a military surplus one (sky trak m6000) that i bet would do it. They have a lot of capacity up close. I would think you’d only need to boom out a few feet. My qt15 has crane lifting lugs on the casting.

If skates are no good I’ve bolt 2x10s to the bottom of a machine to make skids and the roll it in on pipe.

If a rigger can't figure out how to do it he needs a different rigger.

The super easy way is to use a bigger forklift with 12' fork extensions. pick it from the end from underneath or above with chains and drive it right in. I did this with one of my big Mazak's once to get it through a 7' door.

Skates should work fine on a container floor. If the floor is shitty lay down some strips of 10 gauge or thicker steel to roll on.

I don’t know how much this machine weighs, but I’ve skated 20,000 lb machines in containers. The floor should hold up. Most containers have a floor made out of some sort of thick plywood material, it’s pretty strong.

Unless you have an open top container, a crane is pretty useless.

If a rigger can't figure out how to do it he needs a different rigger.

The super easy way is to use a bigger forklift with 12' fork extensions. pick it from the end from underneath or above with chains and drive it right in. I did this with one of my big Mazak's once to get it through a 7' door.

Skates should work fine on a container floor. If the floor is shitty lay down some strips of 10 gauge or thicker steel to roll on.

This works I used a 15k lift with 8 foot forks to move the exact same machine he is buying long ways into a door.

The rigging charge is what, north of $1k to do this? $1k to get the crane to show up and then hourly after that? [don't know for sure but just WAG-ing]

One can buy enough framing and roofing materials and just make a shed for it and take yourself out to lunch several times for the same money.

Stuffing something heavy into a tight space where the floor can barely support it, and then having to un-stuff it later doesn't sound like the best plan to me.

What does the bottom side of the machine look like? If its sorta square, roll it in on pipe or bar stock. The crane guy should be able to get one end of the machine in the container door. Set that end on a roller, block the other end. Repick the other end and roll it in. The last few feet should be a cake walk with just a pinch bar.

anywyas here is where teh whole rigamarroo is temporarily landing when it arrives.IMG_20200707_140149790.jpg. Will place the 20 ft container on the RR ties besides the wall of the pole barn. Will make for a wonderful place to store bars and other stuff I need secure. Here is a pic of the workshop before I got started running wires and later on insulation and panellingworkshop.jpg

Now I need suggestions on how to get it out of there and into workshop in the event I can't get a 12000 lb forklift there. I was wondering "wrecker" flat bed? Winch the lathe onto that flatbed until have the lathe protruding out of of the bed 3', back the wrecker so the lathe ends up where I want it,lower the bed so the concrete in the bldg starts taking the weight of the machine, and then move the wrecker out until the machine is completely on the concrete? Will post pics when it arrives. Thanks guys.

Now I need suggestions on how to get it out of there and into workshop in the event I can't get a 12000 lb forklift there. I was wondering "wrecker" flat bed? Winch the lathe onto that flatbed until have the lathe protruding out of of the bed 3', back the wrecker so the lathe ends up where I want it,lower the bed so the concrete in the bldg starts taking the weight of the machine, and then move the wrecker out until the machine is completely on the concrete? Will post pics when it arrives. Thanks guys.

Excavator. Big one.

Seriously though, why are you putting it in the can? Have it dropped on the shop slab and finish your shop with it there.

I built a steel building over the top of a 36x36x16 wood building full of CNC mills and lathes. When it poured rain I covered them up. When I needed to use one I powered it up. I set trusses and beams 25' in the air above machines using a forklift with a 12' vertical extension.

Never in my wildest thoughts did it sound like a good idea to stuff machines in a container and then deal with moving onto the slab afterward. Seems like an extra step that makes no sense no?

Excavator. Big one.

Seriously though, why are you putting it in the can? Have it dropped on the shop slab and finish your shop with it there.

I built a steel building over the top of a 36x36x16 wood building full of CNC mills and lathes. When it poured rain I covered them up. When I needed to use one I powered it up. I set trusses and beams 25' in the air above machines using a forklift with a 12' vertical extension.

Never in my wildest thoughts did it sound like a good idea to stuff machines in a container and then deal with moving onto the slab afterward. Seems like an extra step that makes no sense no?

well, the bldg is 20X20 I have 2 BP sized machines a light lathe, a few other small machines and then this thing. Can't put in this lathe first and then maneuver the other stuff at least not the BP's. Like I said haven't insulated it yet or paneled it in. So A) I must get BLDG totally done then B) place the BP's manual lathe, Bandsaw, grinder and then get in the Mazak. That's why it is sitting in container for the time being. Seller got tired of holding it for me 2 months beyond when I said I will move it out.

neighbor seems to have one of those. Keep in mind, about 50-60 ft of dirt heavily laden with pebbles from container to shop door. Lay sheets of 3/4" plywood on the path and roll it on pipes with help from skid steer?

I have pretty hard pack ground around my shop. I would just drop plywood and some heavy wall pipes. If you want to get crazy about it put it on 2x12 skids like I mentioned before.

Also I did a tandem lift on a machine with skid steer and my smaller forklift if you can’t get one big lift but it is pretty dangerous.

Back