What's new
What's new

Plate clamps rebuildable?

JoeE.

Titanium
I've got a pair of Merrill one ton capacity plate clamps... One of them won't grip tightly anymore... I haven't tried taking them apart, but I am wondering if they are customer rebuildable or would a manufacturer not want to take the risk on selling an individual parts to rebuild the clamps?
I have pictures of the item but I'm not able to included in this initial message from my phone... I must not have the right app on my phone.

If the clamping jaw is removable likely a surface grinder hand could re sharpen the teeth. I could do that and likely 1/2 hour each with a double dressed wheel 60 grit and the part clamped to an angle plat, eyeball each grind looking with a magnifying glass for touch and thake likely .015 from eack gullet..but dont want the job. I used to re sharpne slip yoak castings holding jaws in pairs that were just about the same grind, but they were in pairs with an angle from 2* to 4* from one side..just clamped the angle plate on a ,2, 3 or 4* angle blck.

Good to test hardness to see taking a little stock wouuld not make them soft.

But lifting jaws use is always dangreous and your doing anything to to alter them might put you at risk...Is it possible to buy new clamp jaws?

����Plate lifting clamp MERRILL/CAMPBELL no.21, 1 ton, grip 0- 3/4 inch.���� | eBay

Parts catalog:
https://www.jameswalker.com/catalog/189-193.pdf

Captain obvious alert! :D

If you do rebuild it, test it with a bar and not a plate (I am imagining a plate being something like 16x18x1 or whatever, vs a bar being relatively long and narrow/square'ish). Don't mean to offend anyone, but sometimes we all have our duhhh moments. :)

Back