What's new
What's new

prepare mill and lathe for shipping

Karl_T

Cast Iron
I need to ship a lathe, Monarch 10EE, and a knee mill to my winter home...

Is it acceptable to bolt the machine to a skid and stretch wrap the heck out of it?

Or do I need to fab up some sort of box?

other advice?

Great question.

I've see several different ways of skinning this cat. Best I've seen, build a super heavy skid. Canvas tarp then machine and shrink wrap low. The canvas breathes, poly does not.

Sent from my rotary dial flip fone

What ever you do, get door to door, no transferring of load, service. The forklift jockeys at the terminals could care less about your item, if it tips over too bad, ram it with the forks and set it upright.

worked for a rigging company for the last 13 years and we typically tarp'ed and shrink-wrapped machines and made sure the trucker would tarp them with truck tarps. You don't need to place the machines on skids necessarily, A qualified rigger can load and offload them with ease. Just make sure they are placed on 4x4's on the truck.

You need to consider the weather conditions they may be traveling through.The best way is to hire professional riggers for the move and have them acquire transportation that way you stay out of the logistics. In my 13 years experience in Machinery Moving the one thing I know... "There is no logic in logistics" and it can be a nightmare. Make it turn key less headaches that way. You may pay a little more but it's well worth it in my eyes.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
What ever you do, get door to door, no transferring of load, service. The forklift jockeys at the terminals could care less about your item, if it tips over too bad, ram it with the forks and set it upright.

Either someone's been blowing smoke up your ass or you make shit up as you go. "Door to Door" or D2D, is an International Chamber of Commerce term. It has no meaning in domestic transportation. It is not recognized by the Surface Transportation Board and in any case has nothing to do with transfers from one vehicle to another. It merely means that the freight is picked up at your place of business and delivered to the consignee's address. You do not have to pick it up at a dock or warehouse.

Over the years we have brought equipment from around the United States.
In all instances we have used a dedicated equipment hauler/rigger.
An example would be heavily skidded with heavy plywood floor, wood crated, shrink wrapped and tarped unit.
It gets loaded on a trailer in say Texas and it's on the same trailer when it shows up here in California.
I have shipped through a broker several times, Wisconsin and New Orleans to California, in both cases it was an owner operator that was experienced hauling machine/equipment. Same trailer point A to B.

Drain for sure...I had a recnt experience,6ton grinder.....Id shifted it myself ,no probs.........but because of the virus,the machine sat out in the weather for 3 months....even though covered,the oil return troughs ahd filled the in frame tank with rainwater ,and floated the hydraulic oil to the rim of the open tank.......I should have checked,but didnt ,and an hour into the move "This *** machine is pouring water and oil all over the truck,its back to the depot,the manager will decide if it will be unloaded in the yard."....fortunately,I knew them ,and they did a bit of water pressure cleaning on the back of the truck,and delivered the machine..........Driver says he somtimes handles big transformers that leak,so there is a bit of tolerance for oil.

Just remembered I am the OP on this thread.

I rented a Penski truck and hauled it all myself. If you need it done right - do it yourself.

My only complaint - A penskie truck is more of a covered wagon than a cargo van. No E track and VERY flimsy side walls. I ended op using timbers, 2x4s and bolts etc. etc. to tie everything all together. This took a full day.

Both the mill and lathe started right up like they never moved. Moving often kills an old CNC.

Shop is up and running daily - except when the fish are biting. :)

DIY for the win. Glad you and your machines survived.

I rented from Penske for a recent move, and was able to specify E-track when ordering. It was a local rental, not one-way. Lift gate, too, and non-CDL. They didn't seem to have trouble sourcing that at the time.

I'm a fair ways off the OP's date...but...

Nice thing about a plywood box is that it sets up sort of a microclime without the danger of becoming a terrarium.

I have stretch wrapped, then it rained hard, then the sun came out, this accentuated rusting on unprotected surfaces.

It wasnt said but I'd expend a good amount of LPS3 trigger spray on every bare metal surface.

Thru bolt is the way to go.

A question to ask is whether the machines are going to ping pong between the two abodes or its just a one-time one-way deal. You might make different choices if this was going to be a recurring event.

Back