What's new
What's new

Putting together big crane

true temper

Stainless
My friend has a crane service, I help him sometimes when he is short handed.
He was called out to set up a 650 ton mobile crane at a wind farm. Spent all afternoon there. Here is some photos.
365f3c8618fcdbcc3cbda3900a3dae59.jpg
installing boom on house. Truck caring boom backs up to crane and pins to house.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

More photos note 2” plate weight listed on edge of plate 6510# 12”x12” wood skids.
cfc66c2d8bdcc3e89680b5f71e47a1bb.jpg

Thunder storm came in and fear of lightning shut us down for the day. My friends crane is the blue one.
b1611e23c8a9b3dcc2531b0b6fdb8b68.jpg

Drove back out this afternoon, every thing was shut down because of the wind. No idea how tall they are. I did see a man basket on site. I am sure the parachute is a NO.
Looks like its ready to work, just squirt the main boom out.
cf6c8069e9605115e0073778cebe974e.jpg

That's some big main cylinders on that thing.

I always wanted to travel doing windmill inspections.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'm fascinated with cranes, always have been. The one thing I've never seen is how the slewing rings are made. I imagine B&K or the like has a grinder of requisite size but I'd like to see it.

I'm fascinated with cranes, always have been. The one thing I've never seen is how the slewing rings are made. I imagine B&K or the like has a grinder of requisite size but I'd like to see it.

The drive for the slewing ring would have to have a real soft start and and stop. I'm guessing hydraulic motor drive with a spool with a small orifice. You dont want to have any surge in movement. You cant be jerking sucker around.
D.C. drive motor maybe??
Interesting job!

Third photo from top shows one of the slew ring drives. It’s a hydraulic motor bent axis with a big gear box. I think there is 4 total around the ring.

Third photo from top shows one of the slew ring drives. It’s a hydraulic motor bent axis with a big gear box. I think there is 4 total around the

That makes it easier to understand getting a better controlled start of moving the slew ring. I was thinking about the control you would need in starting movement. Volume .pressure and tourqe would be better controled spread out over four drive motors.
Sleepless nights roaming forums make me dream up strange questions/thoughts.

The drive for the slewing ring would have to have a real soft start and and stop. I'm guessing hydraulic motor drive with a spool with a small orifice. You dont want to have any surge in movement. You cant be jerking sucker around.
D.C. drive motor maybe??
Interesting job!

FWIW nowadays, D.C./Hydrualic/A.C. inverter drives can all do the job with whatever parameters you need.

Digger Doug said
FWIW nowadays, D.C./Hydrualic/A.C. inverter drives can all do the job with whatever parameters you need.

Ya it is 2019. I'm still using machines with basic linkage and spool controls.
I really should be awake before I speak:confused:
Joysticks must be nice. I'm afraid of buying things I cant fix.

As is mentioned latter in the thread, they have 4 slew motors. More often than not, they are a slave / master arrangement. The ring gear isn't uber accurate. They run two primary rotation motors, then bias the other two motors at lower torque, against the drive to take up the back-lash. You have to consider all this stuff sits a top of a weldment. No reason to induce ground tolerance gearing.

Regards Phil.

As is mentioned latter in the thread, they have 4 slew motors. More often than not, they are a slave / master arrangement. The ring gear isn't uber accurate. They run two primary rotation motors, then bias the other two motors at lower torque, against the drive to take up the back-lash. You have to consider all this stuff sits a top of a weldment. No reason to induce ground tolerance gearing.

Regards Phil.
Sorry, I meant the slewing bearing. Seems like it's a rather large race.

Does someone go up in a crane basket to release the tag lines?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yes.

What’s the maximum wind speed for a lift like that? Rule of thumb here is 20m/second but something that is meant to catch the wind might be much less?

Back