What's new
What's new

Question: About forklift electric motor classes

Kaang

Plastic
I saw in my benchmark S2 60 min engine is used in almost all forklift engines that traction with electric motor, but it seems like S4 and S5 are more suitable for electric forklifts. Any idea about why almost all forklifts are using S2 motors?

I saw in my benchmark S2 60 min engine is used in almost all forklift engines that traction with electric motor, but it seems like S4 and S5 are more suitable for electric forklifts. Any idea about why almost all forklifts are using S2 motors?

I don't know this for a fact, so I will offer my suspicion - cost :) If I'm not mistaken, all S2, S4 and S5 are intended for motors with constant load. The difference between them is how often they're fired up and for how long they run, how they're started and stopped, but not in the variation of the load, which is obviously what you're going to get in an EV, especially one that changes its weight so dramatically throughout the operation. So really it should have been something like S9, but probably S2 rarely runs at full load and long enough to overheat, so in practice it's sufficient and cost effective.

Back