What's new
What's new

Question: Forklift hydraulic piston bore sizes

Kaang

Plastic
I'm working on an idea for a new forklift product I'm just trying to get a general understanding of what hydraulic piston size is used in forklifts that lifts 2000kg? What are the common piston bore sizes in 2000kg forklifts?

Do the math, see what size lands you in the 2500psi range.

Cylinder count, cylinder configuration, and mast configuration all play into this.

Programmed via Mazatrol

Id say around 5" in a 4 ton machine......smaller ,modern machines often have two ,or even three rams in the lift ,with small bores to provide whats called a see thru mast......No one size fits all.

I already got calculations. I just wanted to get information about commonly used sizes.

Like has been said, do the math. Also keep in mind the way most main lift cylinders work with chains, your cylinder capacity is cut in half. In other words, you have to have a cylinder capacity of 10,000 lbs to lift 5,000 lbs on the forks. The advantage to this is for every foot the main lift cylinder raises, the forks go up 2’.

Everyone has had good ideas so far. The math is easy, so call your usual supplier and see what is available in cylinder size if you are making your own. If you are purchasing cylinders Surplus Center is a good place to check for cheap cylinders.

Usually you need to multiply by (2) as the cylinder has the chain sprocket up top.
Thats why I used 12k for a 6k lift. Obviously I ignored the weight of some components so operating pressure would still be quite low, compared to something like an excavator at 4500psi.

Programmed via Mazatrol

Thats why I used 12k for a 6k lift. Obviously I ignored the weight of some components so operating pressure would still be quite low, compared to something like an excavator at 4500psi.

Programmed via Mazatrol

An older clark lift running at 1100 psi might be normal.

Not everything out there uses 4k-6k hydraulics the way excavators doo.

Back