What's new
What's new

Ratchet Strap Comparison

Cannonmn

Stainless
The most common “large” ratchet straps available at many retail outlets are 2” nylon, supposedly having 3300 lb. WL rating, 10k lb. BS. I’ve snapped new ones at what I think is well under even the 3300 lbs. So for helping secure machine tools in trailers, my application, I got 4 of the 4” polyester ones. I’m not hyping any source but mine came from “USCC” and shipping on 3 or more was free (these weigh 21 lbs. ea.). I got the end-option of chain and chain hook because that’s the most versatile for how I might attach them in various situations. So, brand X on the left, new ones on right. In securing equipment in trailers, I tend to use chains near the base and ratchet straps higher up.

Attachments

• CA020897-32D9-4956-9E99-1D35DEF28633.jpg
    CA020897-32D9-4956-9E99-1D35DEF28633.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 308
Straps can easily become much tighter than tensions by shifting loads or loads with weird leverage, and sharp corners are terrible for them.

What is the tension rating and cost of the USCC ones?

I've only used the 2" straps dozens of times and have never had one brake. I don't haul semi loads but have been to both coasts and just about every state in between hauling machines in the one to two ton range. I do tend to err on the side of caution and never go over sharp edges with out some cushion and use plenty of them double pull.
Dan

I have 6 of the 2" ratchet straps, I've used them to strap down a lot of machines up to a 3ton k&t but I would like to have a few larger ones like these. At $70 a piece they are kinda spendy though. Makes a chain binder seem more attractive, those are easy to find used.

Straps can easily become much tighter than tensions by shifting loads or loads with weird leverage, and sharp corners are terrible for them.

What is the tension rating and cost of the USCC ones?

Tag fm USCC strap:

WL 6670. BS 20,000.

I’m adding a few sq ft of triwall cardboard or some preformed cardboard corners to my rigging kit so I can cut pieces out as needed. They’ll go under straps that must bear on the corner of a machine, although as the tag instructions say, the straps should be kept in a straight line.

Attachments

• C032A912-B439-437B-AC97-0E7237A6304A.jpg
    C032A912-B439-437B-AC97-0E7237A6304A.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 109
Only time I've ever ruined a strap, is when the strap got against a sharp corner. Unless a corner has a big smooth radius, it needs to be padded. In most cases, just some folded up cardboard will suffice.

I have seen ratchet tie downs with a DOT rating. Trucking companies typically buy these for insurance reasons. I bought some 2" from Menard's put these next to the DOT rated and they look like toys. Web is about twice as thick. Just my 2 cents.

Straps used on commercial vehicles are usually mandated to meet some official standard.Out here ,things have got to the ridiculous stage.....to secure earthmoving machines ,you have to use huge HT chains,like 3/4" with approved fittings...weight is enormous for the driver having to chain down machines.....Ropes arent legal anymore,everything must have a standards approval tag....But most trucks dont use ratchets ,but the wind up drum type permanently secured into a rail .Small chains and flipover type loadbinders are illegal too,must have HT chain ,min 3/8" with screwup type tensioners...very costly.....and heavy.

I have seen ratchet tie downs with a DOT rating. Trucking companies typically buy these for insurance reasons. I bought some 2" from Menard's put these next to the DOT rated and they look like toys. Web is about twice as thick. Just my 2 cents.

Yup,
OP is comparing no name thin 2" ratchet straps to 4" top of the line
ones.....Apples to walnuts.

I had a real cheep china 2” strap several years ago. It was inside most of the time but in no time the webbing just fell apart. You could pull it apart by hand.

Tag fm USCC strap:

WL 6670. BS 20,000.

I’m adding a few sq ft of triwall cardboard or some preformed cardboard corners to my rigging kit so I can cut pieces out as needed. They’ll go under straps that must bear on the corner of a machine, although as the tag instructions say, the straps should be kept in a straight line.

Cardboard?

"I say again"

The recycled RUBBER TIRE doormats instead! Not the sliced-cord woven ones. The chopped-up and re-bonded flat ones. Usually have some fabric on one side with a scene or slogan. Lots of uses. Not just corners. "Brakes". Impact protection.

I don't even carry them on a go-fetch. Drop into any Dollar-wotever store and get one or several at about five bucks each. They will out do cardboard about ten times over for protection, can be sliced or rolled up sausage style, and don't give the least damn about wind, oil or RAIN, either.

SERIOUS dunnage? Used tires. Wheelbarrow size clear up to heavy truck size, depending on the need.

Flat five-dollah fee here at the recycling center to get rid of them. Local garage has to pay that anyway, are happy to give them to me free and save the five bucks outlay they've already billed their customer per-each.

:)

UV light seems to be hard on them, like most other plastics I suppose. That gives even the best straps a built in life span if they are used outdoors, and especially if they are stored outdoors.

The steel haulers who deliver to my shop have to replace their straps several times a year. They are consumables.

Straps used on commercial vehicles are usually mandated to meet some official standard.Out here ,things have got to the ridiculous stage.....to secure earthmoving machines ,you have to use huge HT chains,like 3/4" with approved fittings...weight is enormous for the driver having to chain down machines.....Ropes arent legal anymore,everything must have a standards approval tag....But most trucks dont use ratchets ,but the wind up drum type permanently secured into a rail .Small chains and flipover type loadbinders are illegal too,must have HT chain ,min 3/8" with screwup type tensioners...very costly.....and heavy.
You can buy a lot of GR70 chains and binders for the cost of calling out a 50t rotator to pick up the pump skid/dozer/track-hoe that just slid off your low-boy.

:nutter:

OP is comparing no name thin 2" ratchet straps to 4" top of the line

This. AND. If you search about a little bit, locally and on the web, industrial duty stuff of industrial quality *IS* easily available. Maybe not at 9pm on a Sunday like at a big box store, but mcmaster ships next day air if you want (at least in the US.)

You can buy a lot of GR70 chains and binders for the cost of calling out a 50t rotator to pick up the pump skid/dozer/track-hoe that just slid off your low-boy.

:nutter:
Oh yeah. But if you pull into Deadhorse (Prudhoe Bay) you better have ratchet style binders on your chains. I’ve only been there by boat but truckers there told me you can’t get in with snap binders on your load.

It’s a good policy safety wise and I think it will spread.

Here’s my first-time using the 4” polyester straps. They worked fine, a little getting-used-to is needed, the mechanism takes a bit more hand-pressure, but the parts your hand goes in/on are larger and easier to grip than those on 2” straps. As I mentioned, I plan to use chains down low and straps higher up or over/around. This load was secured with two straps up high and one chain in front and one rear. The chains were secured to D-rings built into the 4 corners of the 6 1/2 x 14’ trailer. The load was a top-heavy 5000 lb. Di-Acro press brake. Loading/unloading of trailer was done via forklifts at origin and destination. Lifting was via pair of “special” donut straps that are about 4’ long when flat. Not sure what to call them but they are synthetic and each has two approx. 8 x 24 x 1/4” areas faired into two 2 x 24 x 1/2” areas. We had the wide areas under the I-beam in the top of the machine, and the narrow areas were “up” to make “basket” mode loops for the forks. The “basket” WL rating on each of those straps (we used a pair) was something like 3x the load’s weight. The machine’s manual recommends lifting via that beam.

Attachments

• 4D48CFD3-7EE0-4A78-B1A5-0A568826B56C.jpg
    4D48CFD3-7EE0-4A78-B1A5-0A568826B56C.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 164

We have rules here regarding load securement as well, though they are followed pretty loosely.

Tie down equipment has to be marked with a working load limit or it gets demoted to the lowest possible rating. For chains, that would be grade 30. For straps, its 1000 lbs per inch of width. Most chains here are grade 70 and the links and hooks are stamped. But, grade 80 and 100 are common for heavy haulers to avoid handling heavier chains.

The tie downs have to add up to equal half the weight of the object you are tying down. Anything over 1000 lbs or 5 feet in length needs at least two tie downs. Loads over 10,000 lbs require 4 tie downs, one at each corner if possible. Articulating vehicles have to be secured at the steering joint. Loaders and attachments have to be lowered and need a tie down.

Beyond that it's all on you to make sure things stay put.

Back