What's new
What's new

Recommendations for a Small Machinery Mover for Hardinge Lathe in Los Angeles

cinematechnic

Cast Iron
I'm looking for a recommendation of a machinery mover to move my Hardinge HLV. The lathe needs to be moved from a commercial building without a loading dock to another building 26 miles away, also a commercial facility. Concrete floor and no level changes, stairs or other major obstacles.

The guy that delivered the machine to me was good, but he's upgraded to a larger and nicer truck (that can handle really big machines) and has had to raise his rates accordingly. All I need is a guy that can handle moving the one HLV lathe and hopefully has reasonable rates.

I'm in the process of a personal and business relocation out of state and the costs so far have been very high. So I'm hoping to find someone that can do the job competently but at a lower cost.

As an example, the guy I mentioned above, when he moved my Schaublin lathe with his smaller truck in 2013 was happy with $150.- cash (it was about an 8 mile move).

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

As an example, the guy I mentioned above, when he moved my Schaublin lathe with his smaller truck in 2013 was happy with $150.- cash (it was about an 8 mile move).

Mileage is the cheapest part. Rigging out and in is where the costs are. Time has marched on.

$150 was a favour, an amateur, or BOTH. I'll not even speculate whether the "cash" went through his books.

"Reasonable rates", properly-credentialed and fully-equipped pro rigger, LA basin, present-day, are probably $1,500 and up, by the time one gets fully-burdened staff, equipment, insurance and other overheads applied. Ten times what that last move was. You had gotten lucky!

FWIW-not-much, an HLV is a fairly easy rental-equipment + DIY prep (skids so it doesn't TIP OVER.) move.

Plenty of examples of that mass-class - they are nearly as heavy as a 10EE - and of FAR larger lathes "right here on PM".

Not ALL of them problem-free, to be fair!

When I lived in So Cal I used Gabriel Ceballos G.M.C. Machinery Moving based at the time in West Covina (626) 915-6156.

Don't know where you get that $1500 figure for a moving a machine in the vicinity of 2,000 pounds. I am sure prices have went up some but back in SoCal from 1996-2010, I bought and sold quite a few manual machines in the 2-4,000 pound range moving them in similar scenarios as described by the OP cost $300-$600. The largest outfit in the area was the Dunkel Bros at the time. They were the $600 people.

Don't know where you get that $1500 figure for a moving a machine in the vicinity of 2,000 pounds. I am sure prices have went up some but back in SoCal from 1996-2010, I bought and sold quite a few manual machines in the 2-4,000 pound range moving them in similar scenarios as described by the OP cost $300-$600. The largest outfit in the area was the Dunkel Bros at the time. They were the $600 people.

2010 was nine years ago. Last coupla years, America has been going back to work and upping their game, even in the Kaliforikyah SSR. High-earners tired of taxes (living costs, fires, more...) are even LEAVING for Texas, Nevada, Florida... Hell.. even VIRGINIA, go figure..

:)

That was the OP's original challenge, was it not? He is not a dealer, has scant call to be seen as an ongoing client / repeat biz.

But don't mind me. Get quotes. If you can do.

Folk as are any good at this aren't much chasing small jobs at all, current-era, let alone on the cheap. Faceplants are prolly still cheap, though.

Southern California is a different market for machinery movers than Virginia. I could see getting a quote close to $1500 in my area as riggers are few and far between, but not in SoCal. Too much competition. I hope the OP comes back and posts what he ends up paying.

When I had the rebuilding company way back when and I needed a small machine like the Hardinge moved I called the machine movers who specialized in moving printing presses as they were used to working in tight places, most of the time they used electric pallet jacks and used box truck with a lift gate. They generally cost 1/2 of what the large machinery movers charged who had semi's.

When I had the rebuilding company way back when and I needed a small machine like the Hardinge moved I called the machine movers who specialized in moving printing presses as they were used to working in tight places, most of the time they used electric pallet jacks and used box truck with a lift gate. They generally cost 1/2 of what the large machinery movers charged who had semi's.

That is kind of the case with the guy I recommended. He just has a gantry truck. He moves the smaller machines at 1/2 price of what the people that have a fleet of semis and multiple forklifts charge. When I moved to Cali I hired Gabriel for the day to load up a semi, even after I paid $300 for a balloon tired forklift, the total was still cheaper than if I hired someone who owned a fleet of forklifts. The forklift was even an hour late, the only extra charge I had to pay was buying lunch. Gabriel is a great mover for the smaller machines.

2010 was nine years ago. Last coupla years, America has been going back to work and upping their game, even in the Kaliforikyah SSR. High-earners tired of taxes (living costs, fires, more...) are even LEAVING for Texas, Nevada, Florida... Hell.. even VIRGINIA, go figure..

That's exactly why I'm moving. Costs have become extreme here but most people and small businesses still can't earn/charge more than they did before the bubble began inflating.

I'm working 7 days a week for nearly 3 years and barely making expenses. That's not a formula for long term success. It's what I think of as an "economic trap".

BTW, thermite, your "SSR" reference becomes truer every day. I'm not going to stick around and see what Gov. Moonbeam Jr. and his Merry Band of Virtue-Signaling Mandarins think of next.

Gabriel delivered my HLV to its current location, he's a good guy. But that was a unique situation because he did a run where he was carrying a machine in each direction and I split the cost with a friend. I don't begrudge people having raised their rates in response to the much higher cost of living. But I have no choice but to look for lower cost solution because I'll just flat run out of money and never get out.

The machine you are talking about is not that heavy. Rent the truck and a trailer from Home Depot. Use a come along or ratchet strap to pull the machine up into the trailer. Use a flat steel sheet to help with the transition on to the trailer if necessary. You can do this all yourself for <$100.

The machine you are talking about is not that heavy. Rent the truck and a trailer from Home Depot. Use a come along or ratchet strap to pull the machine up into the trailer. Use a flat steel sheet to help with the transition on to the trailer if necessary. You can do this all yourself for <$100.

If you do it yourself be careful as they are top heavy

If you do it yourself be careful as they are top heavy

Exactly what I'm concerned about. I've moved my Schaublin 102N (with cast-iron base) myself. I built a set of heavy duty casters on aluminum channels for it (that bolted to the bottom of the base).

I was always worried about rolling onto the truck lift gate (tipping etc) and it was never a problem as long as you had at least 3 guys handing the load. But I now realize that machine was uniquely bottom-heavy. It was a 250 lb lathe mounted on a 1000 lb iron base.

When I sold the Schaublin, the buyer sent a smaller truck (about 14' box) and we couldn't roll the lathe onto the lift gate because it had too much of an edge angle. The driver returned with a big truck with the large lift gate with the flat edge and we rolled right on there with no trouble.

I know a 22' diesel moving van with a big lift gate could lift it, but what about getting on there? In the case of the Schaublin the casters were bolted onto the bottom of the cabinet and could not come loose.

102N_on_Wheels_474w.jpg

Amateurs ;)

call a flat bed tow truck winch it up be done with it.
I moved a ton of hardninge ahcs and 2 of the HLV.

use 1" dia alum rods to roll it on the floor. only takes one guy and a 6 foot prybar

Gabriel delivered my HLV to its current location, he's a good guy. But that was a unique situation because he did a run where he was carrying a machine in each direction and I split the cost with a friend.

Wow, you are a human piece of garbage, that does not respect what people have to charge for services you do not provide. I went through many a rigger living in So Cal before I met Gabriel, he is the greatest for moving small machines. When I moved to Virginia I told him to name his price to fly back to Virginia and meet my equipment when the semi gets here. He said he likes to be home for dinner and declined. Once again, if Gabriel isn't good enough for you please stand in front of the next oncoming train, the world will be better if you weren't here.

When i bought my Harding hc i hauled it in the bed of my truck. With appropriate tie-downs and conservative driving. I don't think it's much lighter than the ops Harding. Seller loaded with a front end loader strapped and i unloaded with overhead hoist. Was a trouble free move and quite reasonable. Your mileage may vary of course.

Wow, you are a human piece of garbage...

C'mon tell me how you really feel! I've done multiple jobs with Gabriel as has the P.M. member who introduced me to him. So I'm really an a-hole for asking if there is anyone with a smaller truck more suited to moving ONE small machine who is willing to charge a smaller fee?

I wish I had the money to hire G.M.C. because I would not have to worry about my machine. But I gave all that money to:

The billionaire landlord & his company who owned the building that I had to live in for the last 5 years, who raised the rent every year and probably have turned my former unit into an Air B&B so they can charge even more. And yes, everywhere else changes as much. They just expect you to get roommates.

The insurance companies that charge some of the highest rates in the U.S. regardless of your clean driving record because you are obligated to subsidize all the people in L.A. driving without insurance.

The state that charges me $800.- a year for the PRIVILEGE of being allowed to earn a living independently (regardless of if I make $0.01. (That's on top of the state income tax too).

The highest gas tax and most costly gasoline in all the U.S. (BTW I am a "freeloader" according to the former Gov. Moonbeam because I don't LIKE paying that tax.

And last but not least the sales tax which has been increased multiple times in the 9.5 years I've been here an is now OVER 10%

In my view, a person is only cheap if the HAVE the money but refuse to pay people what they are worth. If you DONT have the money your are broke, not cheap.

If your trying to get out of Cali I think its more than 26 miles:)

Uh, yeah, unlike about 78% of the U.S. population I can not only read a map but am quite familiar with it. I don't have the funds to move all my equipment now.It is going in storage with a friend until the fall when trucking rates drop and hopefully I'll have raised the funds. I have no better option.

Just moving our personal stuff wiped us out. So many middle class people are leaving the state. I've probably dropped well below middle class now but I'm fighting to get out before I am completely asset-stripped by this place... Don't want to join the 60,000 strong L.A. homeless population and contract Typhus.

As a person in the machinery moving business, I’ll admit I rarely take a job for less that $1,000. It just cost so much for us to operate, and even moving a small machine a few miles will eat 1/2 a day or more.
It just so expensive to run a machinery moving outfit. Have you priced a $3 million insurance policy lately? That is what a lot of the big corporations require for you to even step foot on their property.

Honestly, I don’t blame small operations with a small machine not wanting to pay that much, but it is what it is. Just make sure whoever you get has insurance, and get them to send you a COI as proof. All you need it to have your machine dropped and no insurance to cover it, or worse, have one of their guys get hurt on your property.

Back