What's new
What's new

Review of Anderson Drop Deck trailers ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Thinking of buying one (7K tandem wheel version) and wondering if the Anderson is any better or worse than a JLG triple L version.

2019 Anderson HGL7610 Hydraulic Drop Deck Scissor Lift Trailer 6' x 10' | eBay

NoRamp ( Drop Deck and Tilt Trailers Available | No Ramp Trailers ) is tempting but the absolutely flat to ground deck of the Anderson version would be better for unloading machine at my house where there is no forklift.

Used to rent similar from Sunbelt Rentals, but apparently some goofball had a serious accident with one and now they will only rent them to use in transporting their equipment.

s-l1600.jpg

Also,,, anyone here know the cost difference in the Anderson and JLG versions ? The tandem wheel
6x10, 7000lb capacity Anderson is about $10,800.... dunno the comparable JLG price..

I have looked into that type trailer and after talking to the local place that has had 3 of them i would not buy one my self ... you can get a 7' x 16' full tilt 14K trailer for about half the price ... I have a 7K non tilt and its time for it to go and get get a new one ... I get about 10 years before they start falling apart and its cheaper to sell it for about 1k less than i payed for it and get a new one ... this time I well be getting a 7x20 14k full power tilt trailer ,, well its a couple grand more than I need the power tilt is really handy moving machines around ... the payload on a 7K trailer is just over 5k and going up to a 14K trailer your only adding about 1k in trailer weight but you double you load capacity ... just get them to "UNDER" rate the trailer down to 10K so you don`t run into the 26K weight capacity with the truck and trailer combined and have to get a new drivers licence.

I have looked into that type trailer and after talking to the local place that has had 3 of them i would not buy one my self ... you can get a 7' x 16' full tilt 14K trailer for about half the price ...
Yes of course .... but skating or pallet jacking a 4500 sensitive machine tool off a surface parallel to the ground is a whole diffirent deal from an ease and safety standpoint from doing so on a tilt bed trailer ,

When did Sunbelt stop renting those? Or is it not nationwide? I used one about a year ago and I'm going to be really sad if they're no longer available.

That ANTS trailer looks pretty interesting- and perhaps simpler design. I have a JLG 248 which is the entry level version with a cable/winch raise/lower system. It works well for smaller loads like little manlifts, anything on a pallet and most rental items from power rakes to floor grinding equipment. Its a single axle with a 2,200# capacty deck.... So it has some limitations. The JLG seams to have more extraneous components to accomplish the drop than the ANTS unit.

I'm not sure if the previous post was referring to the noramp.com no ramp trailers. They offer payload up to 15,000# in triple axle along with the standard tandem and single axle designs.

Power tilt with a knife edge in the back and a winch beats a drop deck IME.

The drop decks just won't handle concentrated deck loads and they can be destroyed by uses that a tilt deck would shrug off.

A brand new drop deck is pretty nice, but a few years down the road hauling 5-10K machines and it's deck will be bent and broken, it won't pull straight, tires will scrub off, air bags need replaced, etc.

Home depot had the same no rent policy on their LLLs without the scissor lift but if you go on a Sunday late afternoon they will. Assumption is no one will be renting a lift then. In a pinch you could rent it with the lift and just not use it of course.

The drop decks just won't handle concentrated deck loads and they can be destroyed by uses that a tilt deck would shrug off.

A brand new drop deck is pretty nice, but a few years down the road hauling 5-10K machines and it's deck will be bent and broken, it won't pull straight, tires will scrub off, air bags need replaced, etc.
Point taken but even with 10K capacity I'll probably never haul more than 4,500 lbs for current situation. Also conventional tilt trailer with winch better for site load, shop unload with forklift. My situation is just the opposite...load with forklift, unload with (electric) pallet jack or skates.

Back