What's new
What's new

RFQ? Looking For Rigger in Kansas City Area To Move Millrite 1/2 mile.

Impractical

Aluminum
I ended up in the hospital over the weekend. Consequently, my plans for moving my garage shop stuff to a new house by myself have been thwarted. Can anybody recommend a rigging company, or a competent person, who could get my US Burke MVN Millrite out of one garage and into another? By machine tool standards it's pretty small (around 1,300 lbs. if I remember correctly).

We recently bought a house about 1/2 mile from our old house. We are mostly moved into the new house, but I still have some things in the garage that I didn't trust the moving company to move. I was planning on moving this stuff myself this week, but ended up in the hospital over the weekend, and was given orders not to do anything strenuous. We sold the old house, and I need to get everything out before November.

It's a strait shot from the garage to the driveway, and then another straight shot from the new driveway back into the garage. Both driveways have a slight slope away from the garage. I'm good with paying whatever the going rate is, but would like to hire somebody who knows what they're doing so they don't break anything, or most importantly, hurt themselves.

I use Belger Cartage and Haggard Hauling for work stuff, so I'll call them today for quotes. If anybody has any better ideas, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thank you!!

Olinger Heavy Hauling does rigging. Whether or not they doo little stuff or not I don't know.
They have been good to work with in the past.

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Or a local courier service with a box truck with a liftgate. Palletize the mill and load it with a pallet jack. Transport the machine and pallet jack together, roll it off on the other end.

Did my air compressor that way, IIRC it was about $25 to move it across town.

How doo you git the pallet jack up on the lift gate?
Isn't that like a 2" jump?

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

How doo you git the pallet jack up on the lift gate?
Isn't that like a 2" jump?
I had no problems- the platform usually has a folding ramp.

Attachments

• ramp.jpg
    ramp.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 83
I appreciate everyone's advice. I've been pretty out of it while recovering, but managed to send emails to the local rigging companies.

I never though about a rollback wrecker. I'll do some searching for tow services in the area and see where that leads me. I wonder if there are any liability issues with that? For example, if they hurt themselves, or the machine, am I on the hook financially? I've been less than impressed with the ethical nature of the tow truck drivers I've encountered in the times I've needed my vehicles towed.

I have all of the proper rigging equipment, trailer, etc. to do this safely myself. Unfortunately, the doctor says I'm not allowed to do anything, and my wife might kill me if she catches me lifting a finger. I could get some buddies over to help, but don't really want to risk getting them hurt since none of them have any experience moving heavy things.

I can see the roll-back being a very good option for you - provided you were 100% yourself, and could git it to the door and straitened up.

But in your situation, I just don't see that working out very well.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Too bad you are on the other side of state 400 miles away. If you were closer I would come and do it just to help you out.

So far I have quotes from three local rigging companies. None of them are particularly cheap as expected, but at least it's an option, and I'm confident they could get my stuff from point a to point b without any drama.

I'm feeling a little better about a rollback after some internet searching last night. I have a list of 3 seemingly reputable and favorably reviewed local tow companies to call this morning. Two of them even list equipment moving on their website. I slid everything to the door prior to getting sick, so at least that's taken care of.

Too bad you are on the other side of state 400 miles away. If you were closer I would come and do it just to help you out.

That's a very kind thought, and much appreciated. I occasionally do some work in Goodland, and down in SW KS at a meat packing plant and out in the wind farms. It is a looooong haul to some of these places from KC without ever leaving the state.

Too bad its so far, I have the time and equipment to get t done.
Hope you heal fast, if you get out this way look me up and we will get a cup of coffee.

I have a friend in Blue Springs who I think would help you if your still looking for someone? PM me and I can give you his info. He has a small machine shop and is retired from the Airforce. Moved all of his machines into his walkout basement shop. :-)

So far I have quotes from three local rigging companies. None of them are particularly cheap as expected, but at least it's an option, and I'm confident they could get my stuff from point a to point b without any drama.

I'm feeling a little better about a rollback after some internet searching last night. I have a list of 3 seemingly reputable and favorably reviewed local tow companies to call this morning. Two of them even list equipment moving on their website. I slid everything to the door prior to getting sick, so at least that's taken care of.

What did the rigging companies want? Just curious how prices vary depending on region. When I was back in So Cal a little over a half dozen years ago I had a guy with a gantry truck that would have charged $200 for that job including rolling it out and rolling it in. Where I am at now the riggers are few and pricey I would guess $750.

I have a friend in Blue Springs who I think would help you if your still looking for someone? PM me and I can give you his info. He has a small machine shop and is retired from the Airforce. Moved all of his machines into his walkout basement shop. :-)

I sent you a PM. I'm all for supporting a veteran.

What did the rigging companies want? Just curious how prices vary depending on region. When I was back in So Cal a little over a half dozen years ago I had a guy with a gantry truck that would have charged $200 for that job including rolling it out and rolling it in. Where I am at now the riggers are few and pricey I would guess $750.

You're pretty much right on the money. I got three quotes from local riggers ranging from around $600-$700 (two guys and a forklift on a per hour basis), up to a flat $1,000. I also got a quote from a local tow service for $575.

I'll wait for Richard King's contact to see how that pans out. Otherwise, I'll probably go with the tow company.

The machine isn't any pristine specimen, but works great for garage duty. It came from a place that made drive-in movie theater speakers - the kind with the aluminum housing that hangs on your door. Surprisingly, they remained in business up until several years ago. The cost of having somebody move it is a substantial percentage of it's value. I'm not going to worry about that, and just have somebody move it to keep my Dr. and wife happy.

For all the tools consider asking the local high school coach to rent out some of the team to do the donkey work of loading and unloading heavy boxes of stuff. Not rigging machines just carrying buckets and drawers full of tools into and out of the truck under your supervision.
A know a teacher/coach who had his football front line move in his new cast iron iron tub this way. Up into the second floor bathroom.
The football, wrestling or water polo teams come to mind. Normal pay is piazza and sodas for all and/or a cash donation to the team. I ca not think of any metal working they may need except repairs in the weight room or the tackling sleds.
Bil lD.

I got everything moved - or rather, my friends and family got everything moved under my supervision. I was about to call the $575 tow service, but my friends convinced me they could get everything moved safely in exchange for lunch. Anyway, nobody lost any fingers or toes. It actually went quite smoothly. Most of my buddies have white collar desk jobs and little knowledge of mechanical things, and were shocked to learn that my milling machine is small and lightweight compared to most.

Thank you to everybody for the advice!

Back