What's new
What's new

Riggers in Washington DC area?

Cannonmn

Stainless
I have to move a 5T press brake and a 3T lathe from inside a factory to inside a warehouse, all on smooth concrete. Total move driving is under an hour. One rigger stood me up on another job, won’t call him again, and another came to origin to do estimate and hasn’t sent anything in a week, so he’s not interested. Another rigger only does lighter/smaller stuff. Am also looking into doing it myself having 10k cap. Yale fork brought to site and renting high-capacity 4-skate set, but a bit hesitant due to my lack of actual rigging experience. The self-equipping thing would work if I found an experienced rigger and a crew he trusted as skaters. The factory is a bit crowded with very expensive machines so the forklift couldn’t get in right where the items are, think each would need to be skated say 50-100 ft. to where fork could get it without risking damage to million-dollar machines. Suggestions?

I used Ark Machinery Movers a long time ago and they did a good job, they are north of Baltimore.
mysite

Thanks, just called them and they’d work out I’m sure if they were closer, sounded like very capable folks who are called to move both massive and delicate things.

Just about decided to move the 11’, 5400 lb. lathe myself with a few friends. I have Roll-A-Lifts, can rent good skates for $51.00/day, can rent a lift bed trailer that’ll avoid needing big truck and forklift. That’ll give me some experience with skates and let me get a better look at the 5-ton press. I’ll keep looking for a rigger for that one, for now anyway.

After two different local rigging companies said they’d get back to me with estimates but never did, even though I asked more than once, I figgered out all by myself that they were saying “if you have to ask the price, you can’t afford it.” They are used to moving machinery for sizable businesses that don’t shop around for riggers.

On the plus side, Sunbelt here has a 6 x 14’ bed hydraulic drop-bed trailer with a 7000-odd pound payload rating that’ll hold the lathe and let us roll it in without a forklift. I’ve rented that type before and they work well for moving machines. Rental cost is a bit north of $100. a day in this particular area, but way less than renting a forklift with two-way transport added.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how Di Acro recommends these press brakes be lifted? Might be intuitively obvious when we get down to moving it, but the manufacturer’s recommendations sometimes surprise me.

https://www.kempler.com/sites/defau... 25 & 25 Ton Ram Adjusted, 6 & 8 Foot Bed.pdf

You see that hole near the top? That is where it is meant to be lifted. That being said, you can usually move press brakes like that with forks, if that is all you have. What you have to do is get the forks under the front of it and chain it back to the mast or carriage. Keep in mind, where you see that hole up top is likely where the center of weight is.

Be careful moving press brakes with forks and lack of experience. The can be very top heavy and heavy toward the front.

I have to move a 5T press brake and a 3T lathe from inside a factory to inside a warehouse, all on smooth concrete. Total move driving is under an hour. One rigger stood me up on another job, won’t call him again, and another came to origin to do estimate and hasn’t sent anything in a week, so he’s not interested. Another rigger only does lighter/smaller stuff. Am also looking into doing it myself having 10k cap. Yale fork brought to site and renting high-capacity 4-skate set, but a bit hesitant due to my lack of actual rigging experience. The self-equipping thing would work if I found an experienced rigger and a crew he trusted as skaters. The factory is a bit crowded with very expensive machines so the forklift couldn’t get in right where the items are, think each would need to be skated say 50-100 ft. to where fork could get it without risking damage to million-dollar machines. Suggestions?

Lost one of our best two years ago.

https://www.bizjournals.com/washing...ve-kane-cos-going-out-of-business-laying.html

E.I Kane /Office Movers had done a downright magical job for me on TRTL-30 and "Diamond" safes as well as blitz-quick office moves. Also been known to pull entire main-battery gun turrets off warships being scrapped.

Look for their veterans who have founded their own firms. I have not kept up. No need. Fair hand at rigging meself, several generations in.

Thanks, since I posted I got the manual. Pacific Press in IL now runs Di-Acro and was one of those great businesses that email you the manual for the asking. Others sell it, ok too, I want the manual for everything I have. Here’s the excerpt which sounds like what u wrote, lift from the very top although I didn’t notice the bars mentioned during my brief visit to the machine. Other thing I learned was that it only weighs 5K lbs., within capability of a lot more forklifts than the 10k lbs the seller thought it weighed.

Attachments

• 7B2C3B13-3C0D-4A94-B479-0F700AD8AF57.jpg
    7B2C3B13-3C0D-4A94-B479-0F700AD8AF57.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 44

Back