What's new
What's new

Rigging horizonal 100gal, 4cyl air compressor??

huleo

Hot Rolled
Not new to rigging here but this thing is irritating the piss out of me! Everyone knows the pump is where the weight is, which makes them want to roll over with ease. However, no rig points on the top and leaving us all wondering how to simplify this? I don't want to go yanking on a pump cylinder or something.

Right now we have it rigged with two choker straps around the tank and a lead on the top of the pump to keep it from rolling, but there has to be an easier way? Have to move this thing two more times by myself so would like to make my life easier!

Am I right in thinking tank has 4 feet?

pair of 4x4 bolted to the feet, 4+ foot long[longer than tank diameter], pair of loops preferably diagonally foot to foot, hook from above

Can you put two pieces metal tubing crosswise under the feet that sick out to edge of tank and have some lifting eyes on each end? Use the feet mounting holes to bolt the tube on kind of permanent since you will do this again. Rubber mounts under the tubes if needed.
Then just use a 4 leg sling to pick it up from the tubes.

I've welded fork pockets to several big compressors I have owned. Weld to the feet, not to the tank.

I've moved IR piston compressors by stabbing them under the mounting pad for the motor and pump that's welded to the top of the tank. If you have narrow forks you can slide them together and get both of them into the space. It will lift the compressor and keep it from flipping over.

Stuart

I welded rods lengthwise from foot to foot. Now I can pick the tank with the forklift, and the rods are under the forks to prevent rolling.

usually Horizontal compressors have a mounting plate on top for the motor and pump that is essentially a piece of channel face down on top of the tank. There is usually room to run slings through the cap between mounting plate and tank . Another alternative is four ibolts could be mounted one at each corner of the mounting plate

If you move it a bunch, I’d build a skid under it with fork pockets. If it is a very seldom move just use slings under the mounting plate.

bolt sleepers to the feet or as mentioned above fork it under the pump mount channel. if your sleepers are spaced far enough apart you may be able to fit a pallet jack in from the end, if not you will ALSO need blocks under the sleepers too, which will make it even HIGHER

Attachments

• 2019-12-18 16.23.30.jpg
    2019-12-18 16.23.30.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 48

Back