Rigging questions regarding buying new equipment to "rig" - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Delw View Post
    when the riggers moved my huge excell mill think it was 22 or 24000 lbs. they used those neoprene skates 4 of them. it rolled so smooth 2 guys could easily push it.
    I was pretty shocked as that was the 1st time I seen rubber skates in my life. they go over chips and bumps also with out slipping from under the machine.
    That's interesting, have a photo? Google is no help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JP Machining View Post
    I built the whole works myself. Saved up some 2-1/2" bar remnants then popped some bearings in and welded up a frame. Sure the bought ones are little nicer but for the once every 3 years I need them they work great. Outer wheels are raised 1/6" , makes them turnable. Should really put some pipes on the ends to be able to tie a set together and a spot for a pull handle would be nice too. Bearing load rating for center axle is like 7 tons, so I consider them to be 5 ton skates. I built 4, most of the time only use 3 on a machine, press brake I used all 4 as thats what it took.

I have a couple track jacks and some porta power stuff, need to invest in a good toe jack as the track jacks dont fit everywhere.

Attachment 278478
    Attachment 278479

I think that you posted your "build" in a thread some time ago, but I don't recall the details anymore.

Just wondering what kind of bearings were used, and more - I'm wondering why to use bearings anyway?
    That seems like an expensive / weak point. ???

Why not just bore a 1.015 hole through 2.5" Bar ends and run a 1" bar through the whole thing?

Maybe drill some cross holes in the 2.5 bars to be able to dribble some oil down in when not used?

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

3. Likes Garwood liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by as9100d View Post
    After getting the latest quote to move some new machines in.... I think I've decided to buy all of the equipment to move my machines around. We move/install all our smaller vmc's currently and I feel its fairly easy but I want to be able to move say an 18,000+ machine into place.

I know I need some bigger machine skates and a toe jack or two. Question is what tonnage of toe jack will be sufficient?
    I bought one of the blue Temco 5/10 ton Ebay toe jacks, it's been plenty for 16K lb machines, and moves around easily by my standards. Was going to make something using a portapower but haven't needed it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    I bought one of the blue Temco 5/10 ton Ebay toe jacks, it's been plenty for 16K lb machines, and moves around easily by my standards. Was going to make something using a portapower but haven't needed it.
    That's what I was looking at on eBay also.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think it works really well. I look at the welded toe and ground off welds every time I use it and wonder about the guy who welded it though

7. Likes as9100d liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    I think that you posted your "build" in a thread some time ago, but I don't recall the details anymore.

Just wondering what kind of bearings were used, and more - I'm wondering why to use bearings anyway?
    That seems like an expensive / weak point. ???

Why not just bore a 1.015 hole through 2.5" Bar ends and run a 1" bar through the whole thing?

Maybe drill some cross holes in the 2.5 bars to be able to dribble some oil down in when not used?

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Maybe even more better is if you had bronze drops around!

I wonder what 360 brass would be like?
    Eco brass may werk better than 360?

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by m16ty View Post
    People are right about pipes or bars, you can move a lot of stuff with them, until you get a machine without a flat bottom.
    Usually machines have piles of oily chips under them, they're nowhere near flat underneath and several of the jacking screws are stuck.

I think there's a reason why skates are so common.

10. Likes as9100d liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Maybe even more better is if you had bronze drops around!

I wonder what 360 brass would be like?
    Eco brass may werk better than 360?

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Even with the bearings they will handle more than I want to move on my own. And they roll so easy. My 12k lb press brake moved with little effort almost didn't need to use a bar at all.

I copied a set of skates I used to borrow from a large construction company. Liked them so much I made my own.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey guys if you're thinking of buying toe jacks I just ordered a pair of the temco 5/10s directly from temco at $199 shipped each. I'm sure they have to make up for eBay fees hence $215ea on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Likes Ox liked this post