What's new
What's new

Rigging Shapers

Lanza

Aluminum
I will be rigging a butler 26" shaper. It looks like to me it needs to be lifted by the base with flat slings. It can not be lifted by the ram. Any info or photos please.

Is that a Super 26? Awesome.

Flat straps under the base, front and back, each tied/strapped/carabinered to itself under and on top of the ram to keep it from tipping.

not a butler but what the previous poster said I also set some timbers on the table and tightened it up against the ram so it couldn't move and would transfer more of the weight to the base I dont have any good pics but here is one. its 7500 lbs or so

Attachments

• IMG_1409.jpg
    IMG_1409.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_1410.jpg
    IMG_1410.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 246
This is the way I have rigged them. Under the housing where the ram rides on. Not the ram. Up there the center of gravity is lower. Running straps under the whole machine make the center of gravity lower and it will be more likely to tip. If you run straps under the base then be sure to chain the straps at the top to the ram or around the straps so if something slides the chains will catch the straps. The higher you rig anything the better to keep the center of gravity lower. I would do it a bit different using longer straps choked. Plus Im not a big fan of his A-Frame, but it is all I could find.
Gantry crane thoughts and first look at the metal shaper guts - YouTube

This is the way I have rigged them. Under the housing where the ram rides on. Not the ram. Up there the center of gravity is lower. Running straps under the whole machine make the center of gravity lower and it will be more likely to tip. If you run straps under the base then be sure to chain the straps at the top to the ram or around the straps so if something slides the chains will catch the straps. The higher you rig anything the better to keep the center of gravity lower. I would do it a bit different using longer straps choked. Plus Im not a big fan of his A-Frame, but it is all I could find.
Gantry crane thoughts and first look at the metal shaper guts - YouTube

The Butler 26 doesn't offer much to wrap a strap or chain around at the top of the column/frame.

I'm wary of straps slung under the base slipping due to the angular pull. One could put forged, 1" machinery eye bolts (9000lbs straight pull/ 2700lbs at 45 deg.) through the base bolt holes, run individual chains to a spreader beam, and I'd still secure the ends of the ram to the chains to keep it from wanting to tip.

Attachments

• 11.2.jpg
    11.2.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 197
  • spreader-beam-model-439.jpg
    spreader-beam-model-439.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 208
I will be rigging a butler 26" shaper. It looks like to me it needs to be lifted by the base with flat slings. It can not be lifted by the ram. Any info or photos please.

I'd not lift it from above at all. Very poor fit to that method.

My Sheldon, was, yes, but.. all we had to do was remove the doors and run the straps right through the integral base casting. They couldn't get away. No such option, this one.

Wedge & toe-jack this puppy up on grillage. Skid or otherwise prep it for forklift, simpler side towards mast, not complex side towards mast. Use blocking, either side, anyway. Don't forget wood or rubber mat atop the forks. CI on steel is a known-good bearing combination.

IF yah have to drag and coax it out of a "landlocked" location a FL cannot approach to a much BETTER spot where it can get a good grip and strap it to the mast? Use machinery skates, pull chain, steer with periodic line of travel adjustment, trolley jacks, toe jacks, or pry bars.

Rent the FL if you haven't an appropriate one.

Rent toe-jacks, optionally the skates if needed as well. If you don't already own a set. Cheap as they are, I own several.

Use lots of good straps and even more patience. Same again, destination end. "Patience" is your heavy-lifter.

Shapers are EASY. Look at where the mass sits. Observe the line of floor and base. Not like a radial DP, column/pillar DP, vertical mill or long-wheelbase lathe.

Simple as can be. Just heavy.

"Heavy" is why we rent, rather than own, as to FL's and such.

100% more lift than you need is good. 30% at least. Don't get stupid and wish for a "free pass" on overloading to "get by, somehow".

Back