What's new
What's new

Rigging and trailering a Taft Peirce 1 Grinder

AndyF

Stainless
Is there anything special I need to pay attention to or do in order to move this model grinder? I will be moving it about 20 miles on a tilt deck trailer.

Lift off the table and remove the balls and separators. Keep these separate during the move. On mine the outlet of the lube pump was almost flush with the bottom of the base. It can be damaged if using a pallet jack. Once the table and bearings are removed there are no special precautions needed.

Wrap it tightly with some wrap plastic, then you might wish to wrap that with some duck tape..That keeps dust out and any fall-off parts intact.
Good to have some jack stands so you might control the trailer tilting. Good to have a boat winch clamped on so you might pinch it off with not letting it slide. I dropped a SG when my winch missed catching and that fall broke the oiler.
Shame on me doing that alone.

Most likely it will try to slide and tip forward at breaking. If you slam your breaks you can break a rope or a strap so extra to that direction.. and a tight curve at 70, do not.

Take care to not strap or rope over a sharp edge, to some ropes a 1/8 radius is the same as a sharp edge.

If you have not started it, then hand turn the spindle a number of times, this will loosen the dead cats the somehow build inside a spindle.

Be sure your trailer tires are up to listed pressure.

I used to tell a new guy Think you have a hot coffee on the dash and you don't want to tip it.

Remove the rollers and replace with full length rod's or bars of delrin run your tie downs across the table front to back and suck the table down to the saddle and the saddle down to the base. LOCK the table traverse

Block the base in so it cannot shift fore - aft / left - right

Lower the head and take the weitht of the head and associated assembly with blocking to the deck of the trailer, lest you blow out the lifing mechanism. Damage that and the grinder is useless for any kind of precision work

Back