What's new
What's new

Scooting A Lagun FVT2 Milling Machine A Couple Of Feet

ptsmith

Cast Iron
I had the riggers put my mill at an angle in a corner to save space. It did put it closer to the wall, but it killed more wall space. That was not well thought out, as I need the wall space. The concrete is smooth. The mill base bottom is flat and flush against the floor. This is in a home garage with an 8 foot ceiling. Any suggestions as to how to scoot it around to where I'd prefer to have it?

Is there a notch in the base at the front of the machine?

If so, I would rent a toe jack, and gather up some 1"x 4'heavy walled pipe, and a 5' heavy pry bar, and some scraps of 1/2" plywood.

Once you get the front end of the mill up just a little more than 1/2", place a piece of plywood at the front corners, just as insurance, then continue to lift just beyond 1" and place two more pieces of plywood at the front corners, again, as insurance.

Proceed to lift slightly more, until you can slide a pipe under the mill. Repeat this procedure until you can get two pipes under the mill. I would have a minimum of 5 pieces of pipe, or solid round bar is even better. Once the mill is up on the pipes, and you have at least 3 pipes under it, roll it forward, adding pipes as you go. You can easily "steer" the mill, by fanning out the rollers, and utilize the pry bar as well. Reverse the whole procedure when you get it to where you want it.

Brian

Dish soap on floor and push off the wall with a jack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A crowbar, pinch it along. One person can do it, better with two, one leans on the machine while the other pries it up. I am half decrepit yet I could walk a standard manual mill 20 feet in 5 minutes or less that way.

Get a few buddies and just scoot it over. You may even be able to do it yourself. It's not very heavy.

^^^^^This. If you crank the table all the way to one end it gives you a lot more leverage. I've moved Wells-Index mills by myself this way and they are bigger/heavier than a Lagun bridgeport type mill but I shop at the big and tall store, your mileage may vary. I like to put small steel bars under machines and use them like slides to scoot machines along, steel (iron) on steel slides well, especially if they are a little greasy, and it protects the floor. I prefer 1/2" dia steel round bar, but flat strap like 1/4" x 1" works too. 1/2" high gives you a nice gap to use a small prybar in, a 3 to 4' bar will be plenty. A prybar with a heel or bend near the end can walk the machine a few inches at a time by swinging the bar sideways. You can even leave the bars under the machine and use it for a while until you are sure you are happy with it's position.

Obviously cut a hole in the roof for a crane.

You can also use a Jack against the wall and a couple 2x4s so the Jack pushes it where you want it to.

Pipe on the floor is the easiest, also allows you to spin it pretty easy

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

I used a HF 120volt winch to move tools around that I had set in the wrong place. O set wedge anchors in the floor and dragged the mill, lathe, surface grinder tonwhere I wanted them. When finished I drove the anchors flush to the floor.

If you can get your car/truck in there as a pull anchor, a come-along, winch, or even 2" ratchet straps will move it a short distance. Grab it low, around the base.

If you must push instead of pull, and push against the wall, do it right down at the floor, where the sill is. An individual stud, or block/brick shouldn't see a point load. Spread it with timber if needed.

The table-leverage method can be enhanced by clamping something long, like an 8' 2x6 to the bed. Then, nudge it with that long lever.

I have rotated a Cincy Toolmaster on smooth concrete solo. It was difficult but doable. I now have a little drill-operated winch for stuff like that.

There is indeed a small slot in the front. There's stains on the bottom of the base and with my poor vision the slot looked like another stain.

Between the slot and all the suggestions I think I can get her moved.

Thanks!

I forgot to thank you guys. With a pinch bar (that I forgot I already had), 3 pieces of 3/4" water pipe and some boards, I was able to move it by myself. A friend dropped by, and it was going so well I refused his offer to help. I wanted to be able to brag I did it myself. :D

A toe lift jack can be really handy. It makes it easy to get the machine high enough to get pipes under it.

Back