What's new
What's new

Shipping estimation help?

Cole2534

Diamond
Hi all,
I'm looking to have a Fadal 4020 shipped from the Bay area in CA to Oklahoma City, OK. I've got a handle on rigging costs on both ends, but not sure what to expect for trucking.

Does anyone have experience with current LTL rates?

Thanks, Cole

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

I have no idea how heavy and how much bed space one of those takes but I got a quote last week for a lathe 1700 miles, 6000 lbs, 1.25 a mile. a whole truck flatbed rate isn't over 3.25 a mile, unless its going into the total boon docks. maybe coming out of california jumps the price

I have gotten online quotes from freight monster, and other places that do not have a bunch of bad reviews always check several sites for reviews, also have used local freight brokers, the prices all seem to be about the same except there is almost always a few hundred dollars extra on the bill for some reason or another.

National Flatbed Rates - DAT
of course if it needs a drop deck then that price jumps a bunch

I've had some luck piggy backing on trips of other machine manufacturers. How close is it Haas for instance? Machines are headed West every day.

Otherwise-- you'd be surprised how far some of the riggers travel-- I had a piece brought up from FL when a Pedowitz driver was returning to the Chicago area(to pick up another Mazak for delivery.

Past that, there are a handful of brokers with flatbed specialties. I just took 10' of tarped flatbed from near Baltimore, MA to Mid-Indiana for $1,250. My piece road in along with a coil headed to St. Louis.

Honestly prices are all over the place right now. That being said, you should be able to get it hauled for $3 or less. The main challenge is finding a truck where your LTL load fits within the rest of the driver's load.

Thanks guys! I'm on travel for work but I'll follow up when I can. This would be my first VMC and I'm pretty stoked about the possibilities.

Prices must have went crazy. I had a machine admittedly half the weight and 50% of the blueprint hauled coast to coast for $1250 around 2005 and I believe gas prices were about the same. That would have been 50 cents a mile. In 2010 I did the same thing and took up half the inside of a 45 foot long semi trailer and it was $2600. That was Riverside Ca to Petersburg Virginia, 2600-2700 miles depending on route. You guys are talking prices a whole trailer would have went for to haul a 1/3 of a trailer.

I have a Mazak QTN-200 lathe on a truck right now from Los Angeles to just south of Chicago (1990 miles) for $1400. About $.70 a mile... I'm assuming there's room for something else on the truck.

The truck was booked through a broker that was recommended by the machine tool dealer, allways

They sent a step deck, loaded the machine on the tail, and with the control to the passenger side of the truck all as I requested. The dealer said it was all wrapped and tarped like it should be. Hopefully it shows up in one piece, but I don't have any reason to doubt that it will..

Got some calls out today. Looks like $1000-$1500 to get it on the truck, $2200 to get it to me, then whatever I decide to use to unload it.

Not as bad as I thought!

Call Kim at I.M.O.K. Freight, 937.322.1917. She understands machinery moving. The two loads she moved for me in the past 6 months were about $1.25/mile for 1/2 of a flat bed air ride trailer, fully tarped.

Got some calls out today. Looks like $1000-$1500 to get it on the truck, $2200 to get it to me, then whatever I decide to use to unload it.

Not as bad as I thought!

That sounds more than reasonable.

Just don't use American Riggers out of CA, they are a bunch of crooks.

Ended using Kennedy Transport for the rigging. They charged $2000 to get the machine back to their shop, would have been $1500 if they could load it directly to a truck.

Transport to OKC was done by Mort at Satellite Specialized Transport, $2650 to arrive on an air-ride step-deck. The machine was a little bigger than I initially told them and I forgot to mention the coolant tank, oops.

All in all, I'd not hesitate to use these folks again. The machine arrived on time and in pristine condition.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Back