Shipping estimation help?
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Shipping estimation help?

Hi all,
    I'm looking to have a Fadal 4020 shipped from the Bay area in CA to Oklahoma City, OK. I've got a handle on rigging costs on both ends, but not sure what to expect for trucking.

Does anyone have experience with current LTL rates?

Thanks, Cole

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Three to five bucks a loaded mile will get it most of the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

$3/mi is going to stimg, I'm afraid $5 may kill it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have no idea how heavy and how much bed space one of those takes but I got a quote last week for a lathe 1700 miles, 6000 lbs, 1.25 a mile. a whole truck flatbed rate isn't over 3.25 a mile, unless its going into the total boon docks. maybe coming out of california jumps the price

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have gotten online quotes from freight monster, and other places that do not have a bunch of bad reviews always check several sites for reviews, also have used local freight brokers, the prices all seem to be about the same except there is almost always a few hundred dollars extra on the bill for some reason or another.

National Flatbed Rates - DAT
    of course if it needs a drop deck then that price jumps a bunch

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've had some luck piggy backing on trips of other machine manufacturers. How close is it Haas for instance? Machines are headed West every day.

Otherwise-- you'd be surprised how far some of the riggers travel-- I had a piece brought up from FL when a Pedowitz driver was returning to the Chicago area(to pick up another Mazak for delivery.

Past that, there are a handful of brokers with flatbed specialties. I just took 10' of tarped flatbed from near Baltimore, MA to Mid-Indiana for $1,250. My piece road in along with a coil headed to St. Louis.

Woodland Hills, Ca. and some times Hutchinson, Ks.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bay Area to OKC is not a bad lane, unless it's oversize 2-3 bucks a mile is about right. Flat bed freight is kinda slow surprised if you had trouble finding a ride. At 2 bucks you may have to wait for the right situation to come up.

Steve

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Honestly prices are all over the place right now. That being said, you should be able to get it hauled for $3 or less. The main challenge is finding a truck where your LTL load fits within the rest of the driver's load.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks guys! I'm on travel for work but I'll follow up when I can. This would be my first VMC and I'm pretty stoked about the possibilities.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Prices must have went crazy. I had a machine admittedly half the weight and 50% of the blueprint hauled coast to coast for $1250 around 2005 and I believe gas prices were about the same. That would have been 50 cents a mile. In 2010 I did the same thing and took up half the inside of a 45 foot long semi trailer and it was $2600. That was Riverside Ca to Petersburg Virginia, 2600-2700 miles depending on route. You guys are talking prices a whole trailer would have went for to haul a 1/3 of a trailer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a Mazak QTN-200 lathe on a truck right now from Los Angeles to just south of Chicago (1990 miles) for $1400. About $.70 a mile... I'm assuming there's room for something else on the truck.

The truck was booked through a broker that was recommended by the machine tool dealer, allways

They sent a step deck, loaded the machine on the tail, and with the control to the passenger side of the truck all as I requested. The dealer said it was all wrapped and tarped like it should be. Hopefully it shows up in one piece, but I don't have any reason to doubt that it will..

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Got some calls out today. Looks like $1000-$1500 to get it on the truck, $2200 to get it to me, then whatever I decide to use to unload it.

Not as bad as I thought!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Call Kim at I.M.O.K. Freight, 937.322.1917. She understands machinery moving. The two loads she moved for me in the past 6 months were about $1.25/mile for 1/2 of a flat bed air ride trailer, fully tarped.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cole2534 View Post
    Got some calls out today. Looks like $1000-$1500 to get it on the truck, $2200 to get it to me, then whatever I decide to use to unload it.

Not as bad as I thought!

That sounds more than reasonable.

Just don't use American Riggers out of CA, they are a bunch of crooks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ended using Kennedy Transport for the rigging. They charged $2000 to get the machine back to their shop, would have been $1500 if they could load it directly to a truck.

Transport to OKC was done by Mort at Satellite Specialized Transport, $2650 to arrive on an air-ride step-deck. The machine was a little bigger than I initially told them and I forgot to mention the coolant tank, oops.

All in all, I'd not hesitate to use these folks again. The machine arrived on time and in pristine condition.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

16. Likes AndyF liked this post