What's new
What's new

Shipping Machines from NY to NE, advise and/or assistance: Freight and Crate

UH60driver

Plastic
I bought two machines located in Bath, NY. A Hardinge HLV and Milling T.M UM. I am trying to ship them to Omaha and several freight companies replied with No bid because they don't service NY. I put it up for bid on a shipping site and only 1 bid came in, too high. I would like to go to fed ex freight, freight quote or freightnshipping but the equipment is not crated. I spoke to the manager where the machines are and he will load it with a forklift and that's it. It's a weekday pickup from 7am-2pm by appointment only. He can not help tie down, bolt on 4x4's, or crate it. Most carriers need them crated to even quote. Here's where I ask for advice:

Are there companies that do LTL's (less than truck loads) that will allow the driver to tie them down? Is there a good place to post a load. I did search this here, but most of the information was several years old and not exactly the same as this situation. I would love to fly out and rent a truck to bring these back, but I can not get weekdays off for a few weeks and these must be removed in 10 days.

And here for assistance.

Is there a member here that can or knows someone in the Bath, NY area that can provide a service for crating these?

I am open to suggestions, I am out of my element not being able to do this myself.

Thank you

"Crated" is likely to go thru various truck terminals. Possible, but undesirable in my opinion.

the LTL flatbed route is a better way to go. But you also need a way to get them off the truck....they could be delivered to another local shop (etc).

uShip.com has some decent people and some clowns. Hopefully by now most of the clowns have been weeded out thru feedback, etc. Make sure you specify "tarped" when you post your bid. If you can talk the seller into pre-spraying them down with LPS2 or LPS3 (etc) you will be even better off.

I think you need to find a rigger near Bath to pick up the machines and prepare them for shipment, it will cost more, but you probably won't be posting a horror story in a few weeks about machines wrecked in transit.

I bought a lathe from a wind company here that was in storage at a crane and rigging out fit. I paid the storage and the transport to get the lathe. The reason I bring this up is, the rigging co had picked up the machine and transported to storage facility. It seems that something like this could work for you till the freight arrangements were made. Of course they could help with the freight arrangements also, thinking a local rigging co in new york. Tim

Just went through the same thing myself. A Rockwell 6 x 48 belt sander from Ithaca, NY to Sioux City, IA. I bought the belt sander very reasonably but the cheapest shipping I could find was a few bucks shy of $700. I don't usually wrangle shipping on stuff so this development was quite alarming. The guy I bought it from broke the machine down into 3 boxes and shipped it Fed Ex so I ended up getting it here for around $150. Still pretty steep IMHO, but way better than freight. Unfortunately, you can't do that with the Hardinge or the mill.

I have no idea why the shipping into this area is so pricy. Omaha is pretty muchity a major cross roads AFAIC. One of the freight companies I called has a terminal right here in Sioux City and they wanted almost 800 bucks to ship a $200 machine.

I bought two machines located in Bath, NY. A Hardinge HLV and Milling T.M UM. I am trying to ship them to Omaha and several freight companies replied with No bid because they don't service NY. I put it up for bid on a shipping site and only 1 bid came in, too high. I would like to go to fed ex freight, freight quote or freightnshipping but the equipment is not crated. I spoke to the manager where the machines are and he will load it with a forklift and that's it. It's a weekday pickup from 7am-2pm by appointment only. He can not help tie down, bolt on 4x4's, or crate it. Most carriers need them crated to even quote. Here's where I ask for advice:

Are there companies that do LTL's (less than truck loads) that will allow the driver to tie them down? Is there a good place to post a load. I did search this here, but most of the information was several years old and not exactly the same as this situation. I would love to fly out and rent a truck to bring these back, but I can not get weekdays off for a few weeks and these must be removed in 10 days.

And here for assistance.

Is there a member here that can or knows someone in the Bath, NY area that can provide a service for crating these?

I am open to suggestions, I am out of my element not being able to do this myself.

Thank you

Whatz a UH60 driver??... a helichopter from the 60's???

Just drive over there and pick'em up and haulass out there......

Really, rent yourself a pickup truck and a trailer....and take a helper with you... or hire a local rigger to help you load it...
then stop by the lumber yard and buy some 4x4's and bolts and doit yourself.....
and no more excuses about "element" and not being able to do it yourself

Thank you for the heads up on the LPS, I will ask him. I did specify tarp.

I paid more than I wanted, but less than a machine broker would have sold it for after they stripped any tooling on it.

AndyF-I hate the expense, but I know in my core you're right. I'll search for a rigger and take any recommendations if anyone has one.

Tim-Ditto on the rigging co. seems like a good solution

I'll call AFAIC

Tex - In Iraq I flew folks around to keep them from getting blown up, It was like driving a bus route, somehow bus driver and blackhawk pilot became UH60 (blackhawk) driver (pilot). For scheduling, I can not do it myself, I wish I could (that's my element-doing it myself)-It all seems to point to hiring a Rigger.

In Iraq I flew folks around to keep them from getting blown up, It was like driving a bus route, somehow bus driver and blackhawk pilot became UH60 (blackhawk) driver (pilot). For scheduling, I can not do it myself, I wish I could (that's my element-doing it myself)-It all seems to point to hiring a Rigger.

Thanks for your service.... I did not know the Blackhawk was UH60.... but my son shure would of... he was a Blackhawk Pilot in Desert Storm ...

One of the most interesting days for old guy like me was to spend the day with my son in a simulator... they had 2 helicopter simulators... the Blackhawk and a faster zippee model that I could never control... I liked the Blackhawk... I even got a "training hours cert"...

Hope you get your machines all in one pc...

Good luck and again...THANK YOU for your Service...

Stephen Thomas lives in Elmira, not very far from Bath. Maybe he can recommend someone. If he doesn't catch this thread I'd suggest PM'ing him, he's very resourceful.

If you did not learn before buying the Hardinge mill, you will soon learn that it is either a TM (plain mill) or a UM (universal mill). You have to look at whether the table swivels to tell which it is. The electrical plate says TM/UM because the electrical parts are the same for either model. Hardinge mostly never said much about their model designations on the machines. There is a Yahoo group, in addition to the PM Hardinge forum.

Both machines are rather top-heavy, so they need big skids to increase the footprint. They do not have any drilled feet, so fastening to the skids/crates requires strapping and care with blocking.

Larry

Try Al smith Rigging - Al Smith Rigging Inc.
They may be able to handle the whole deal for you. I had them quote on moving 2 large machines 250 miles and they were almost the lowest quote, a shop I know in that area uses them a lot and likes them.

Thank you all!! I PM'd Stephen

I don't know if it is the T or U, either will suit my needs (*for now)

I'll call Al Smith and Boulter first thing tomorrow.

freightquote "seems" the easiest to work with/ uShip is so far a fail-there is an option to get more bids if you pay $30 for premium listings, but currently I have one bid and he declined when I restarted it. I'll keep this up to date if it helps someone else in the future.

Back